Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #21

I had the same problem with my 2014 wildwood. Had axles replaced still had tire wear. Had a alignment done still had tire wear. Upgraded cheap factory tires to a radial tire and guess what No tire wear! I would upgrade tires.
happyttowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:27 AM   #22

Tire Wear

I had the exact same problem on 2011 Salem Tbud. After 1500 initial miles we pulled from WNY to southern Utah. When we got to Zion, the inside of both passenger side tires were worn so bad I had to rotate the tires to get home.

Assuming that it is an alignment problem, how do they fix it? With no tie rods like an auto, is there cutting and welding involved?
t.simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:14 AM   #23

Update

I went on the assumption that I had a bent axle and replaced the 5,200lb Lippert rear axle with a 6,000lb Dexter. While I was at it, I replaced all 4 springs, U-bolts, both equalizers, all shackle straps and shackle bolts. I opted due to the cost of everything to hold off replacing the front axle until another day. As it was, not counting the cost of 2 new tires, everything I replaced cost $705 purchased retail from PacWest Trailer and Allied Trailer Supply in Sacramento.

The axle didn't look deformed in any way when I removed it. It still had the curve (pointed up). The only thing wonky that I noticed was all of the bushing were worn and egg-shaped and all the springs and equalizers had what seemed like an excess of lateral play. Whether or not it was enough to cause the odd tire wear is yet to be seen. We leave Tuesday for a planned 1,500+ mile road trip to the Alabama Hills, Death Valley and Valley of Fire. If nothing else, I've got more peace of mind.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and input from you all.
Pullrite #2700 Superslider
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 2X2 diesel
2016 - 41 days (2,800 miles)

kejorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kejorgensen View Post
I went on the assumption that I had a bent axle and replaced the 5,200lb Lippert rear axle with a 6,000lb Dexter. While I was at it, I replaced all 4 springs, U-bolts, both equalizers, all shackle straps and shackle bolts. I opted due to the cost of everything to hold off replacing the front axle until another day. As it was, not counting the cost of 2 new tires, everything I replaced cost $705 purchased retail from PacWest Trailer and Allied Trailer Supply in Sacramento.

The axle didn't look deformed in any way when I removed it. It still had the curve (pointed up). The only thing wonky that I noticed was all of the bushing were worn and egg-shaped and all the springs and equalizers had what seemed like an excess of lateral play. Whether or not it was enough to cause the odd tire wear is yet to be seen. We leave Tuesday for a planned 1,500+ mile road trip to the Alabama Hills, Death Valley and Valley of Fire. If nothing else, I've got more peace of mind.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and input from you all.
Did you replace the bushings with 'Never Fail' bushings? if not, you will have the same issue, down the road.

Never Fail™ Bushings

The axle was most likely just fine. 5,200 lb axle is higher than their 4,400 axle and harder to corrupt. you should keep the axle as a replacement if needed.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment, pressure, tire