Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2019, 09:24 PM   #1

Is it ok for warm tires to exceed recomended max air pressure

My E Pro 19FD has 14 inch Castlerock tires. I installed a tire pressure monitoring system so now know what pressure and temp is as I roll down the road. I got my trailer our of storage today to prepare for a trip and found the tires were around 55 psi...sitting on cold concrete floor and Indiana temperature now around 50-60 during the day. So I filed the tires up to 60psi...realizing that they would increase psi when warmed up. Tires got up to 68psi during the 2 hour trip traveling at max 55-60 mph most of trip. Temp on tires got up to high 50's to 60's. Outside air temp got up to about 65, so not a hot day. Should I let some air out so when cold they are around 58 and when warm get up to around 65. Do I let air out as weather warms up...….and try to keep pressure so max out around the rated 65 psi when warm. I was surprised how much difference there I between cold and warm air pressure.
Bottom line.....do you want to let air out so tires don't exceed 65 psi. Or is 68 psi ok when warm?
joindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:48 PM   #2

Good question!

Good question!

The pressure on the tire sidewall is the COLD inflation pressure. It is NORMAL and Expected that the pressure will rise as the tire warms. The tires are designed for this. Do not lower the cold pressure to accommodate the pressure rise from temperature. Doing so will risk operating the tire at too low pressure for the load being carried and could cause damage to the tire.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:01 PM   #3
Just as confused as you

Do you let the excess air out of your car or truck tires when they get warm from driving? Not likely. Just like your car or truck tires, your trailer tires are made to tolerate the extra pressure as they warm up from driving. That's why the writing on tire sidewall states the cold inflation pressure is xx psi.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #4

Yep, “cold inflation pressure” letting air out will make them run hotter and won’t have the carrying ability depending on what the trailer weighs.

On my old trailer I would run the “E” rated 80 psi tires at 70psi.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:01 AM   #5
Site Team

Yes. Both the temp and the pressure will increase as you drive. You will also notice that the temp and pressure will usually be higher on the sunny side of the RV. This is normal.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire, tires