Old 06-25-2020, 09:16 PM   #1

It's Time For New Tires

Hi All,

Looking to put new tires on our 2018 Stealth 2816 Toyhauler. Would like to bump up the current E rated tires to F or G as there isn't a lot of headroom with E rated tires. Are there things to consider before doing this? Current tire size is 235/80-16 and F or G rated will be 85, so a little taller. Looks like I have room for a larger tire. F or G will also run at a higher tire pressure, is there any concern that the wheels can not handle 95 or 110 PSI instead of the current 80? I couldn't find anything stamped on the wheels as to max PSI.

Anything else I haven't thought of?

Preferred brands, or ones to stay away from? My initial chat with Discount tire they were definitely pushing Hartland, which I later found out is their house brand, so not sure I'm a fan of those tires.

Thanks
(sorry about the upside down photo)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv_tire.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	232435  
DirtDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDevil View Post
Hi All,

Looking to put new tires on our 2018 Stealth 2816 Toyhauler. Would like to bump up the current E rated tires to F or G as there isn't a lot of headroom with E rated tires. Are there things to consider before doing this? Current tire size is 235/80-16 and F or G rated will be 85, so a little taller. Looks like I have room for a larger tire. F or G will also run at a higher tire pressure, is there any concern that the wheels can not handle 95 or 110 PSI instead of the current 80? I couldn't find anything stamped on the wheels as to max PSI.

Preferred brands, or ones to stay away from? My initial chat with Discount tire they were definitely pushing Hartland, which I later found out is their house brand, so not sure I'm a fan of those tires.

Thanks
I see zero reasons to "Plus Size" your tires to a taller size when the ST235/80R16 can be purchased in two load capacities above the OE tires and will still have the same physical dimensions.

The LRF will be polyester cased whereas almost all LRGs are steel cased. All of the popular brands except Maxxis and Goodyear provide a steel cased LRGs in that designated size.

Steel valve stems with metal caps are highly recommended for the higher PSI rating. Your wheels will need to be certified for the higher PSI ratings.

Should you decide to stay with the LRE tires be careful with your selection. Those Westlake's have a maximum load capacity of 3520#. Some of the most popular brand of ST tires in that size designation only have 3420# of load capacity in their LRE tires.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:57 AM   #3

Your wheels probably have a load capacity stamped on them.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:44 AM   #4

I wouldn't worry about the rims. Just because you are increasing LR from E to G, doesn't mean you have to increase tire PSI. Use the load/psi charts for size of tire.
I ran my LR E at 80 (max cold psi), and I run my LR G (max cold psi of 110) of the same size tire at 85psi. My travelling friends run their LR Gs at 75 and 80 with plenty of load capacity for their RVs.
Moving from LR E to G was probably the single most improvement to towing/handling experience.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDevil View Post
Hi All,

Thanks
Hmmm. Did you make those fenders?
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
They are nice looking aren't they!! I was admiring them myself...
Old 06-26-2020, 09:20 AM   #7
Brake is on left

We have had great success with the tires in the link below. Although, our tires were /85's, these come in /80's for your stock size. They track true and wear well so far.

As for pressure, you have nothing to worry about. You should already be using the metal valve stems which are required over 100psi (IIRC). A lot of folks are concerned ith the wheel pressure rating. Most wheels do not have one because they are not the weak part of any tire that can fit. The tire is. As an example, my truck wheels are available on several models ranging from 65 to 85 psi. My trailer wheels are available in 5, 6 and 8 lug configurations. I can almost guarantee there is no difference in the wheel that makes it suitable for a different vehicle. The weight rating goes up with lug holes.

So rule of thumb- if there is a 16" tire, it is suitable on your wheel.

Oh, and now is a good time to install a TPMS!

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tir...PTCG80235.html
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:26 AM   #8

A flip. Nice looking fenders.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A flip .jpg
Views:	91
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	232469
Old 06-26-2020, 12:15 PM   #9

When I replaced the six Michelin tires on my Class A, I saved $106 per tire by using the Michelin Advantage program through Family Motor Coach Association (FMCA). Just a thought!
LannyCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:33 PM   #10

Google brought these... and prolly others ha ha

https://www.trailer-fenders.com/tand...0aAr1PEALw_wcB
Old 06-26-2020, 12:37 PM   #11

Who would have ever thought about Amazon??

https://www.amazon.com/2006-2015-Key.../dp/B01844KFTO
Old 06-26-2020, 12:43 PM   #12

Wheels often do have pressure ratings stamped on them or by looking up the make and model. Like others said you don’t necessarily have to increase the pressure unless you have a reason to get more capacity. They are only 2.5% higher anyway.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:49 PM   #13
Fla5er

When we had our '07 Sunnybrook 33CKTS, we changed out the original tires to Goodyear G Load rated tires. They had a somewhat square 'shoulder' design to them which added a little more to the stability of the 5th wheel. As I recall, they added about 1" in height to the rig, but we had no troubles with clearance. I ran them at 95 psi with no problems. They wore like iron and lasted until we traded the rv: (still wish we had the Sunnybrook!)
I don't understand the reason for the tire change; the pics look like they're in good condition, unless they're made in China...
If they're made in China, get rid of them fast!
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:13 PM   #14

Too close together

There could be a size issue between tires, especially if you use X-chocks between the tires. It doesn't look like the gap between tires is very big.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:33 PM   #15

Just got back from the tire store for the hd truck.

De ja vu all over again. Price for the Goodyear trailer tires we bought after the blowout and the Michelin’s On the truck we’re both $1300. That is $2600 in the last year.

But , we should be good for four years. Maybe more.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:54 PM   #16

The tire with the best reputation is Sailun. Available in 235/80 or 85. 4080 or 4400# at 110 psi. Sailun has a chart with weights down to 80 psi on their tires. Most wheels will have the capacity on the rear, usually on a spoke. Could be anywhere and once found it only after the tire was removed. If going with LR F I had great luck with Carlisle.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
the ST235/80R16 can be purchased in two load capacities above the OE tires and will still have the same physical dimensions.
Well this was info I didn't have. The two tire places I had checked with, one being Discount Tire, failed to mention 80 series came in LRF and G, as they must have only had 85's in stock. So this is good news, I have no reason to get a taller tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Ha, no, they were on the RV when we bought it used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
I don't understand the reason for the tire change; the pics look like they're in good condition, unless they're made in China...
Yes, the tires look fine, but they are China made. They are 3 years old (the originals) and spent their life before us in the sun. I probably would have gone another year on them, but the wife wants new ones now . . . choose yer battles, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
There could be a size issue between tires, especially if you use X-chocks between the tires.
Excellent point that I hadn't thought of. I do use X-chocks, and they don't have a ton of room. I will be sticking with OEM size now that I know they exist.
DirtDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:52 PM   #18

Tire size

Running a larger diameter tire will (as long as it doesn’t rub or hit anything) give you a slower revolving tire, which will run cooler. It will give you a better ride, and maybe will be rated for more weight. I wouldn’t go for a “g” or a “F” rated because they ride like a rock!
stepdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepdad View Post
Running a larger diameter tire will (as long as it doesn’t rub or hit anything) give you a slower revolving tire, which will run cooler. It will give you a better ride, and maybe will be rated for more weight. I wouldn’t go for a “g” or a “F” rated because they ride like a rock!
Uh, mine don't ride like a rock.
Of course they only need to be at 80psi for the load, but I run them at 85 for cushion factor.
And honestly, the upgrade from LR E to LR G 14 ply for my weight of RV was the best handling improvement I have made. Can't feel the semis around me, wind has less affect, and any sway is just gone. My fresh tank is at the extreme rear of the RV (bad design), so when I travel with it full with the LR E tires, I could definitely feel it. Since the tire change, drastic improvement. Now, I just leave the tank full all the time.
Much more enjoyable ride with the Gs.
And where do you get data that a slightly larger diameter tire runs cooler? If it does, it can't be significant enough to make a difference.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:38 PM   #20

Tires

Data for tires: there is a tire size to mph chart. Look it up, it on the web. My info came from use! Americas Tirx Store told me that a larger diameter tire in the Lake Havasu area (120 F is normal in the summer) gets less blowouts and tire failures. I purchased 4# 235/85 16 f-rated Carlisle tires for less than $200.00 each. Psi @95 is for a 3950 lb. load rating single wheel. Ran these tires in the heat for four years no problems. 40 ft. fifth wheel trailer. Choose to believe what you want, My new 5-th wheel has G rated saleen tires and they ride like a rock.
stepdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires