Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2021, 09:28 AM   #21

Trailer Bearings are not always a standard shelf item at an Auto Parts store,they may have one (inner) and not the other (outer). I have had to replace several bearing sets over the years (yes, I remove and inspect and re greased and put on new hub seals before the season starts and re grease during the season). I have learned my lesson on not having spare parts on being broke down on the side of the road. All of the bearings that I have/had bought are made in China. I just bought four full sets of American Timkens that I will install. I also have a spare hub with races installed. Over time, I have lost bearings, lug bolts sheared off (with tire passing us). With pride and 'sadness' (that I have to), I have all the tools and parts to overhaul or change out a hub in less than an hour on the side of the road. I carry two spare tires for my trailer and two spare tires for my towing truck. I travel LONG trips and never know what kind to breakdown support will be out there along the way and have decided to fully learn how to fix all of these issues on my own.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
In addition to bearing, seals and grease, I carry an entire hub fully assembled and ready to install. Usually, the hub will start heating up if the bearing starts giving out. Whenever I stop for any reason whether it be fuel, food, bathroom or just a stretch of the legs, I will walk around my camper with a laser thermometer and check every hub. If they all measure the same approximate temperature then all is well. If one reads warmer than the others, I will then proceed to remove the tire and hub for an inspection and possible replacement.
If people did this more often then far fewer hub/bearing failures would occur.

Bearings don't just go from "OK" to "Melting Temp" in a short time. The problem has been developing for miles and miles until it hits "critical mass".

Many people just don't want to take the time or bother to check. Better to take the time during a rest/fuel stop than spend a far greater time repairing alongside the road or waiting for road service.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Whenever I stop for any reason whether it be fuel, food, bathroom or just a stretch of the legs, I will walk around my camper with a laser thermometer and check every hub. If they all measure the same approximate temperature then all is well. If one reads warmer than the others, I will then proceed to remove the tire and hub for an inspection and possible replacement.

A hotter hub can also be caused by brake pads dragging. (which you would adjust after/before you remove the tire and hub for an inspection)

Old 04-21-2021, 01:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
A hotter hub can also be caused by brake pads dragging. (which you would adjust after/before you remove the tire and hub for an inspection)
Usualy this is a requirement or the drum won't come off at all[emoji16]

Old 04-21-2021, 01:58 PM   #25
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
If people did this more often then far fewer hub/bearing failures would occur.

Bearings don't just go from "OK" to "Melting Temp" in a short time. The problem has been developing for miles and miles until it hits "critical mass".

Many people just don't want to take the time or bother to check. Better to take the time during a rest/fuel stop than spend a far greater time repairing alongside the road or waiting for road service.
So true... but it's hard for us that grew up maintaining farm equipment, rebuilding automobiles and trucks and generally fixing anything that moved, to understand that a LOT of folks didn't have the same upbringing.

My brother-in-law is a perfect example... came from a semi-wealthy family, never got his hands dirty, a local garage also got wealthy maintaining their vehicles and he wouldn't know the difference between a 9/16" wrench and a beer bottle opener.

What is 2nd hand nature to us (feeling the hub with the back of your hand at a rest area) isn't knowledge to many.

All we can do is try and help them along the way.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:45 AM   #26
Insert witty title here

Does anyone know if the spindle on these Dexter EZ Lube axle is replaceable?

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Depends on the axle. Axles using springs often do have replaceable spindles. Torflex (torsion) axles may or may not, depending on size and age. Later ones more likely than with older ones.

Get the ID from the tag on the axle and contact Dexter is the best way to be sure if you are unfamiliar with what to look for.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:26 PM   #28
Insert witty title here

I suspect they are and if so, I will add a couple of spindles to my collection of replacement parts that I carry with me.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:35 PM   #29
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
I keep a extra set of greased bearings in the trucks tool box along with a hub, no drum, as a emergency kit. Be sure to pack some old tee shirts for rags and a nice piece of emery cloth to clean up a burned axle.
I'm curious, what type/style of axle do you have where the hub is separate from the drum? I have never seen Tru-Ryde, Lippert or Dexter where the hub and drum are separate pieces.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:43 PM   #30

Quote:

'Tractor Supply', has the same size 'spindle' that goes on my axle (if I wanted to go that route) The spindle that is on your axle, if it is bad, must be cut off.... and the new spindle welded on. A few years ago, one of my spindles was egg shaped, from a bearing going out. It was better and cheaper and I believe Safer, to replace the whole axle than to hope and pray that the replaced spindle was 'straight' and 'true' and that the welds would hold. Surprisingly, the axle was not that costly.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:45 PM   #31
Trailer Park Supervisor

I only needed new seals when I did my maintenance. Like the lady at Dexter says, pull 'em inspect them and pack them. Not as quick as just squirting grease in EZ lube, but I know bearings are still top shape. Dexter lady gave me part numbers and NAPA was able to cross reference and give me correct seals (compared to old seals side by side, they were identical). I have the seal removal tool, it was handy. Only need a hammer and a block of wood to tap seals back in, at least on my single axle trailer. I'm not bothering traveling with spares until I decide to go on an exodus one day.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:06 PM   #32
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I only needed new seals when I did my maintenance. Like the lady at Dexter says, pull 'em inspect them and pack them. Not as quick as just squirting grease in EZ lube, but I know bearings are still top shape. Dexter lady gave me part numbers and NAPA was able to cross reference and give me correct seals (compared to old seals side by side, they were identical). I have the seal removal tool, it was handy. Only need a hammer and a block of wood to tap seals back in, at least on my single axle trailer. I'm not bothering traveling with spares until I decide to go on an exodus one day.
X2 Kris! As a teenager, I can remember pounding out U-Joints on the side of the road. These days I'm too damn old to revert back and start pounding out bearing races on the side of the road.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:28 PM   #33
Trailer Park Supervisor

Yah, those days are over for me too. If I recall doing my bearing maintenance, the inner and outer bearing were just plucked out once you get the grease/oil seal out. That bearing removal tool went so much easier than prying out with some other improvised tool. It was a cheap tool and worth it.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:31 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
X2 Kris! As a teenager, I can remember pounding out U-Joints on the side of the road. These days I'm too damn old to revert back and start pounding out bearing races on the side of the road.
I'm old too but I'd rather do this type of repair myself rather than wait hours for either a repair person than a tow. "Old" just means it takes me longer (mostly getting back up from kneeling/sitting/laying on the ground)

Old 04-22-2021, 03:05 PM   #35

Quote:
What he said. X3
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:32 PM   #36
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I'm old too but I'd rather do this type of repair myself rather than wait hours for either a repair person than a tow. "Old" just means it takes me longer (mostly getting back up from kneeling/sitting/laying on the ground)
But when you pack for a camping trip, do you really pack grease, brake parts cleaner, and other shop supplies? I'm finally getting better at packing less and less. When I first started RV'ing, the amount of stuff I would bring was astounding. It became a drag. Now I take much less stuff. I actually used to bring a full size Weber smoker along with my portable gas grill. Too much man. If I want smoked meats, i'll do it at home, freeze it, and stick it in RV freezer.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:51 PM   #37

Quote:
But when you pack for a camping trip, do you really pack grease, brake parts cleaner, and other shop supplies? I'm finally getting better at packing less and less. When I first started RV'ing, the amount of stuff I would bring was astounding. It became a drag. Now I take much less stuff. I actually used to bring a full size Weber smoker along with my portable gas grill. Too much man. If I want smoked meats, i'll do it at home, freeze it, and stick it in RV freezer.

I greased up a set of bearings and a idler hub and keep them in a zip lock bag in my trucks tool box 24/7. As for grills, I use a small Weber.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:35 PM   #38

Quote:
What I need is already stored in the TT and it all fits in a small Plano tackle box. At most a couple pounds.

Of course since I don't drink beer I have more room and remaining weight capacity

Old 04-23-2021, 08:24 AM   #39

So I guess the 24 dollar question I have on this thread is how many of you have actually had bearing failures where you've saved yourself by carrying spares? I've had boat trailers since 1981, two different fifth wheels, and assorted flat beds over the years and have always done bearing packs, grease maintenance, (both bearing buddies, and EZ lubes) and regular seal replacement. I've driven many thousands of miles towing these trailers, and have never had an issue with wheel bearings. All of the friend's trailers I have done bearing repairs on have all been due to lack of maintenance. Running dirt roads with bearing caps missing, never replacing the seals allowing water intrusion, or simply not servicing the bearings until they fail. I applaud your preparedness for sure, my question is, given the limited ability to carry things in the RV, are spare bearings really a necessity that will prevent being stranded. (Much the same mentality as having a spare tire). Most don't carry a spare spring, and broken springs are very common. Convince me so I can add them to my collection.

PS: I always do a heat check at every stop.
PPSS: I like the idea of changing bearings to Timkens.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:34 AM   #40

Quote:
But when you pack for a camping trip, do you really pack grease, brake parts cleaner, and other shop supplies?

Yes, all the above and more. Tub of grease and grease gun and extra tube, brake parts cleaner,paper towels, bearings, extra hub, six new extra lug bolts (to install if have a shear of bolts, bearings, seals, Jacks, tools to change out and overhaul and much more. I do very long trips and in the last 40 years of camping have sat in a parking lot(s) or side of the road waiting for a 'professional (?)' to fix what has broken a few times. Many times the 'help' had no 'parts' and did not know what they were doing. I now have parts and supplies to be able to fix most issues and get back on the road in a very short time.

Road hazards are many and there are many ways to get a flat. For many years, if I got a flat, I would asap, find the nearest tire center as I would not drive without a 'spare'. Sometimes this took hours of find a tire place and 'wait' for tire. A few years back I started carrying two spares to keep any trip 'going' on schedule. Two years ago, was the first time that I had to use both spares on a single day. We were not 'delayed' in getting to where we were going and both flats were fixed during our week stay.

Tags
bearings, seal, wheel