Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2021, 09:28 AM   #41

When you think about what "spares" are good to have, consider what breakdowns can impact your travel the most.

Spare tires and spare bearings can at least keep you moving down the road. If other things break down you can head for the closest place repairs are available but with a flat tire or bad wheel bearing, you're pretty much stuck where you are until help arrives in one form or another.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:20 PM   #42

spare bearings

I carry 2 complete sets, hand packed and in each set in vacuum sealed bags. To ID these I hand packed all for wheels and recorded the numbers then bought new non china bearings and seals. The eazy lube in my opinion allows one to overfill the bearings and blow out the seal, allowing grease to get on the brake shoes. Hand packing is the only way to go for me.
tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:43 PM   #43

Really

If you have to worry about bearings going out you probably shouldn't be towing anything. One downside of the forum is the horror stories. I.e. someone claimed he carries two spare tires because he ALWAYS HAS at
Least one blowout during every trip. If you're paranoid you might as well carry a spare axle too.
Magdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:08 PM   #44

spare things

I have 2 friends that have had bearing failures on the road, both appeared to have been poorly lubricated cheap factory bearings. 2 of my factory bearings were rough when I replaced them, and yes I carry 2 spares too after I had multiple china bomb failures. Running GY Endurance, but still.
tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:29 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I actually am one of those guys. A tapered punch with flat nose, a claw hammer, and even a seal driver which doubles as a driver for the new race.

I use them at home whenever I replace bearings and since the trailer is the ONLY place I need them (now) I just store it in my TT's toolbox.

FWIW, I can't ever recall using a vise to hold a drum/hub assy even in classes I frequently taught in my career. In classrooms the drum/hub just sat on the workbench with a couple of 4X4 spacers.. I often just use a board on the ground or on my tailgate when doing it at home now with trailer sitting on it's pad.

I've never had to change a bearing on the side of a highway but I do recall doing it in a parking lot near an off ramp. (friend's trailer, not mine).

If you have the parts and tools it's not a daunting task. Just make sure you have a fresh roll of "shop towels"
Ditto on above as changed many bearings on a work bench, no vise. A flat nose tapered punch to drive the race out does the job.

Also - OVER maintenance is just as bad as or worse than no maintenace as saw lots of OVER maintenance in the military do more damage tearing things apart than just leaving them alone.
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearings, seal, wheel