Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2020, 03:29 PM   #1

KENDRA KARRIER ST145/R12 for Trailer- Tire Expanded

Tire Pressure 80 PSI Cold (as indicated on the side wall).

In 2017, I purchased an ACME Tow Dolly to pull our car behind our RV. At the time I purchased the dolly, I also purchased a full spare tire and extra tire. I used the original set of tire for approximately 5K miles. Still plenty of rubber left. But I have decided to swap to the NEW set of spare tires I have before last year’s trip to Canada.

Last Summer, we drove to Canada about 3.5 K miles roundtrip. Last week, we drove another 500 miles roundtrip to Bryce Canyon. When we returned home, I noticed that one of the tire (Left tire) was really worn out. Worse than the right tire. The right tire in fact still have plenty of thread left (see picture).

Today, I have decided to replace the Left Wheel/Tire with my “old spare tire”. After I pulled out the tire, I noticed that it looked bigger. When I compare it with the other tire, I was surprised to see that the Left Tire looked a LOT Bigger (diameter). How can this happen? I am glad we did not have a blow out while towing the car.

Tire that came with the dolly, as well as the extra 2 tires are all Radial Trailer Tire, (KENDA KARRIER, LOAD-STAR ST145R12, Load Range “E”).

ADOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:24 PM   #2

It's almost like the tread is coming apart inside. What does the dolly recommend for PSI? It looks like it was overinflated and that's why the middle of the tread is worn down more.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:51 PM   #3
The Driver

So a tire coming apart inside would cause the diameter increase with associated center wear? I have the same dolly/tires.
PoppySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySteve View Post
So a tire coming apart inside would cause the diameter increase with associated center wear? I have the same dolly/tires.
I'm thinking a more likely scenario is that the tire just has the center worn more, and I've seen pictures of tires where the tread is starting to come apart and that's what this looks like. I don't think the center tire wear is causing the tread to come apart, but you never know. Some of the tire guys on here will likely chime in.

Edit: I looked up the tire psi recommended by ACME and it is 80 so that shouldn't be a cause of any of this.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:03 PM   #5

The tag from my ACME dolly.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:30 PM   #6

the worn tire could have belt separation... a tire guy can probably tell you better why it is what it is... Kenda (KENDA) tires have been good to me... get them balanced... and I would have the dolly checked for alignment, like the wheels may not be parallel...
do you have a TST tpms monitor on those tires?

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:13 AM   #7

ACME tow dolly supplied their tires with “balance beads” and advertise that their wheels and tires do not need to be balanced. I follow the manufacturer recommendations, to include the 80 psi on the tires. I don’t think their wheels can be aligned (can they)? Yes, I do have TST TPMS on the dolly tires.

I think what happened was an isolated incident. Just wondering what could have caused this as both of those tires have the same thread depth and were inflated both 80 psi on our last trip. I tried calling KENDRA but we were playing phone tags. I was having a second thought about buying a replacement KENDRA tires. Have decided to try CARLISLE TIRES. Will be here Monday.

Tags
tire, trailer