Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2021, 07:59 PM   #1

Landing gear unevens trailer

My problem is, I put even height blocks under the 2 landing gear jacks. I then extend landing gear to lift off truck. the passenger side gear extends first and when it hits ground, the drivers side jack extends. Together, they lift the RV(2016 Sandpiper 371REBH) so I can drive the truck away. Every time, the passenger side jack is extended about 3 inches further than the drivers side and the trailer is nowhere near level. Any idea why this is happening and how do I then level the trailer.. Only bought the unit 2 weeks ago so no Idea if it has always been this was.. Any known fix?/ Thanks for the help
RichardD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Can you take some pictures of the landing gear?
Old 10-08-2021, 08:21 PM   #3

Right now I have put a block under the drivers side frame and lowered the landing gear a few inches. The block prevents the drivers side from lowering and the passenger side lowers a bit to square it up. I can take a pic in the morning. Another issue today--I pushed the extend button on the front of the trailer for the landing gear, lifted the rv partly, then the 4 hydraulic slideouts all began extending.Two went out completely and as the third got about 1/2 way out, the landing gear began extending again so I could take out the truck. This is without going anywhere near the slide out switch. . I fear my new RV is posessed.
Old 10-09-2021, 07:35 AM   #4

So in any weight bearing position, the passenger side jack is 2 inches lower than the drivers side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211009_082600_8.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	264152   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211009_082619_2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	264153   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211009_082705_5.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	264154   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211009_082710_6.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	264155  
Old 10-09-2021, 08:52 AM   #5

From your description about the slides coming out when exercising the landing gear it sounds like you have a bad valve/solenoid. The hydraulic system is all connected for slides and level up.
Look up your system in the LCI master manuals and follow rhe troubleshooting guide. https://support.lci1.com/master-manuals/
I would ensure all the valves are seated correctly manually (actually open/close them per the procedure in the manual) check for any leaks, and then call LCI tech support for diagnoses. They have been very helpful to me in the past and even sent me free parts.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:49 PM   #6
Fla5er

I just went through some of these problems with our '17 Cardinal's hydraulic landing gear. When consulting LCI Lippert tech support, they pointed the trouble in the direction of the right front lead landing gear spade valve. After installing a new one, the trouble still was there. Next they had us check the voltage drop at the double polarity solenoid. Having replaced that, (trouble still there) they had us check the continuity of the wiring harness to the lead landing gear. After confirming that the harness was good, they had us order a new control module.
Installed the new control module and everything works as it should. As it turns out the excessive voltage drop from the dual polarity solenoid was due to a defective control module and NOT the lead landing gear spade valve or the dual polarity solenoid, causing the spade valve not to fully open or close while extending or retracting the slides/jacks. (We decided to keep the new parts for added insurance).

Lesson to learn is to check all electrical connections, voltage drops, continuity, battery voltage, etc through out the system before just replacing parts.
If you need a new control module, you'll have to re-zero the level system. Easy to do but first level your rig by using manual commands to level using a 4' carpenter's level (front to rear, side to side) then re-zero the system. To re-zero, go to You Tube and look it up: very easy to do. Hitch up and retract everything with slides in, then extend front landing gear, un-hitch then do the auto level. And of course operate the slides. In our case the jacks/slides seem to work much better.

FYI: when we ordered the new dual polarity solenoid, we found it cheaper (exact part#) from Amazon. The price was $86 vs. $156 through Lippert; and Amazon had it to me in two days, whereas Lippert did not have it in stock. It would be there at Lippert in 7 days, then ship to me in an additional 3 days. Amazon did not have the spade valve or control module.
Lippert tech support is good help, but these issues took time (days) and when you call in a second or third time you may get a different tech to help you. Just be sure to fully explain what's happening and what you've done to correct it, step by step.
Good luck and let us know what it took to fix it.
FlaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:19 PM   #7

Found my issues- Bad hydraulic valve and a wire off in the slideout control switch--The valve was the issue causing the landing gear to be unlevel though
Old 10-17-2021, 08:33 AM   #8
Site Team

Thanks for coming back and letting us know what you found and what it was. It helps us help others in the future.

Tags
trailer