Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #1

Lift kit install on 8289WS

I am going to install a lift kit on my 8289WS. Looking for suggestions on lifting the trailer enough (app. 3 inches) to install the kit. I am thinking of pulling the trailer up on blocks with one axle similar idea to the tire changing ramps. Is this too much weight on one axle for the amount of time it takes to drop the axle and install the lift blocks? The alternative is to lift the trailer on the frame between the axles and place my jack stands on the frame cross rails fore/aft of the axles. I think this would work just fine because I don't have to remove the axles. I would prefer option 1.

What do you think?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #2

type in Dexter lift kit installation and you should be good to go. Serge
Mac rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman71 View Post
I am going to install a lift kit on my 8289WS. Looking for suggestions on lifting the trailer enough (app. 3 inches) to install the kit. I am thinking of pulling the trailer up on blocks with one axle similar idea to the tire changing ramps. Is this too much weight on one axle for the amount of time it takes to drop the axle and install the lift blocks? The alternative is to lift the trailer on the frame between the axles and place my jack stands on the frame cross rails fore/aft of the axles. I think this would work just fine because I don't have to remove the axles. I would prefer option 1.

What do you think?
imo It will be fine, the axle will hold just fine. use wide board ramps to lift one axle about two-three inches staggered height. Then if you have them put out chalks and stabilizers down and sissor jacks under frame for more stabilization, and not really for 'lift'. Then pull the tires off your lifted axle.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a link to the Dexter lift kit installation that 'Mac rv' referred to... http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/...x_Lift_Kit.pdf

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #5

Jeepman71, I have the same model as you do, can you please tell why you would want to install a lift kit to the axle? I find that I have plenty of clearance to my wheel well even with putting on Marathons D rated tires. Just being curious .

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:45 PM   #6

Thanks for the link Dave_Monica.

gljurczyk, I am installing the lift kit because the clearance is limited and getting smaller. In the pic below you can see there is barely enough room for two fingers. This weekend there is barely enough room for one. I am taking it to Forrest River in October. At that time they can determine if I need new axles. I will like the lift kit because it sets a touch low on my truck anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2931.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	38825   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2930.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	38826  
Old 08-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I'm a little surprised that the lift kit doesn't include any extra cross bracing between the axle spacers. I've attached a photo of the axle mounting/spacer arrangement of our 8280WS...I believe that your 8289WS will be the same. I'm no structural engineer but adding a 3" spacer below the existing ones and no extra cross brace doesn't seem right to me.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	axle spacers.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	38848  

Old 08-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I have the 8289WS as well. After running 2 lane roads up to Grand Bend and Kincardine for a week away I smell a rubber type smell. Tires never are hot, warm. Running 4 lane 401 for 2 hours to Rondeau the rubber smell is less. We have 1200 km on the trailer now. Wondering if anyone else has this rubber smell, assumption is the axle working as it should. Is there a break in period for the axles?

jeepman I was under my rig installing a Sirus antenna lead and noted pretty tight clearance as well but not as bad as you have on yours. Please keep us updated on the axle situation for the 8289.

Mine was built Nov 2012 and is the mid production modified front fibreglass with more headroom.

My trailer weight is 8800 lbs, pin weight is 1750 lbs all with specs of 9500 lbs gross, max pin for the hitch of 2000 lbs.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I have the 8289WS as well. After running 2 lane roads up to Grand Bend and Kincardine for a week away I smell a rubber type smell. Tires never are hot, warm. Running 4 lane 401 for 2 hours to Rondeau the rubber smell is less. We have 1200 km on the trailer now. Wondering if anyone else has this rubber smell, assumption is the axle working as it should. Is there a break in period for the axles?
Have you checked the top of the wheel wells for tire rub?

Dave

Old 08-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #10

Quote:
I'm a little surprised that the lift kit doesn't include any extra cross bracing between the axle spacers. I've attached a photo of the axle mounting/spacer arrangement of our 8280WS...I believe that your 8289WS will be the same. I'm no structural engineer but adding a 3" spacer below the existing ones and no extra cross brace doesn't seem right to me.
I do agree with your thoughts Dave. I am going to use some 1/4x1 1/2 flat metal and drill and mount it to the bolts to help stabilize it laterally and drill the lift block on the bottom to bolt up through the axle mounting bracket and the lift block. This should help. I don't think it would be any more side stress than longer shackles on spring lifts. I would also think the axle is going to help in the way of a cross brace.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post

Have you checked the top of the wheel wells for tire rub?

Dave
Yes. I did after towing. Just went out and checked now. No rubbing at all on any surface. I have much more clearance than jeepman has as well. Running 47 psi n filled in all tires as from FR, dealer subs out all tire work.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for the link Dave_Monica.

gljurczyk, I am installing the lift kit because the clearance is limited and getting smaller. In the pic below you can see there is barely enough room for two fingers. This weekend there is barely enough room for one. I am taking it to Forrest River in October. At that time they can determine if I need new axles. I will like the lift kit because it sets a touch low on my truck anyway.
Well Thanks for the information. I went out to take a look at my unit. I have about the same as you do for clearance. I have over 11,000 miles towing it and never did I bottom out or rub the wheel well. Please keep us owners informed on what FR tells you. I assume you have the 4000 lb. alko axles. When I was in Goshen the plant is now installing dexter on all the units. Once again thanks.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am going to use some 1/4x1 1/2 flat metal and drill and mount it to the bolts to help stabilize it laterally and drill the lift block on the bottom to bolt up through the axle mounting bracket and the lift block. This should help. I don't think it would be any more side stress than longer shackles on spring lifts. I would also think the axle is going to help in the way of a cross brace.
I was out looking under the camper this morning visualizing the mounting of the spacer kit. It may be a little overkill but I'd be adding either 1x3" steel tubing or 3" wide C channel vertically in front of the forward axle and behind the rear axle and welding on mounting tabs to be bolted to the new spacer block. It could be positioned such that the new cross brace could be tack welded to the existing 1x4" cross brace. As I said, I'm not a Structural Engineer...JMHO.

BTW, I have had a tire rub with both tires on the door side of the camper...more of a contact probably from a large bump/pothole than a rub as the contact spot is only 1x2" in area. Looks like I have 1 1/2 - 1 5/8" clearance between the tires and the top of the wheelwell.

Dave

Old 08-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #14

The Fac.spacers on the trailer are (Full length over Both Axles), you will have to (Lift the trailer frame off of both axles at the same time) to place the proper (lift kit) under your unit. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Here's a link to the Dexter lift kit installation that 'Mac rv' referred to... http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/...x_Lift_Kit.pdf
YooRoo, This is in fact the unit that FR has sent. I have not seen it yet, it is due in today. According to the directions it is four seperate structures.

Dave, looking at the directions there really is no good way to add a cross brace to this lift kit unless you built something similar to what YouRoo has suggested. I do plan on adding some 1/4" strap on the inside mounting tabs to help tie things together. As far as making alot of structural changes I will wait until it comes home from the factory. They may change the axles anyway.

These are the Al-Ko 4000# axles. According to the tag on the axle they appear to be + 22.5°. The trailer had about 2 to 2 1/2 inches of clearance when it was new and has been slowly relaxing with every mile traveled. I have weighed it fully loaded for dry camping both coming and going to verify I have not been overloading it.The weights are coming is 400 to 600 under 8000# on the axles. That is not much cushion. I talked with a trailer manufacturer here and asked them about 5200# axles. He didn't seem to think that was a good idea because these axles were rated for the weight the trailer seems to run closest to. I plan on installing the lift kit this weekend. I will post a pic of the finished job.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #16

Jeep,are the axles now sitting on (2) members or (4)? Mine are on (2) full length! Youroo!!
Old 08-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #17

I see in the Dex.pics. that your axles rest on the Main Frame. My unit has a full length sq.tube spacer between the frame and axle perch. It came from the fac.that way. Youroo!!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #18

YooRoo, mike is just like Dave's.
Quote:

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Is this how yours is set up?
Old 08-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #19

Quote:
YooRoo, mike is just like Dave's.

Is this how yours is set up?
Jeepman,ours has (2)spacers for a total stack height of (7)in. between the frame and Axle. We have (3) steps at the door. Our center jacks are mounted on the cross braces between the axles. Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF4148.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	38907  
Old 09-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #20

I received the lift kit for my 5er last Thursday. Set everything up and installed it Saturday morning. The kit is complete and very simple. The unit that is in a previous link is not the same as the one I received. This one came with a spacer and flat stock that is about 6" wide and 20" long. You set the spacer between the axle and frame bolting up through the holes in the top of the axle bracket and the the flat plate gets bolted throught the sides of the axle braket and the frame bracket and the spacer. This is followed by adding an additional hole in the brame bracket to secure the added plate there. Overall I think this is more secure than the factory setup because there are now 4 bolts securing th axle, and three bolts securing every thing to the frame bracket. The total lift was more that I would have preferred. It lifted the trailer about 3" total. I towed it about 10 miles after it was done to see if I will notice the higher stance. It towed fine but I am sure it will be more noticeable in windy mountain roads or some of the Wyoming winds. I am sorry to say I didn't take any pics.