Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2018, 12:22 PM   #1
wde
Life long camper

Lifting 5th wheel for larger tires

Has anyone used Trailer Block kits to lift their 5th wheel.
This company is in Canada.
I need to lift my 5th wheel approximately 1.5 - 2 inches to give clearance to change from 15 to 16 inch rims and tires.
I have been looking at either the Trailer Block kit which goes between the leaf spring and seat or the Lippert Correct Track install to get this lift.
Would appreciate any experience or knowledge about either system and the pros and cons of one versus the other.

Thanks
wde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #2

Why would you change from 15" to 16" tires and wheels. Ground clearance?
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #3

I don't have any knowledge of the Trailer Block kit so cannot comment on it. I did have the Lippert Correct Track system installed in order to raise my trailer for additional clearance from a slideout bracket near the tires and to have it level the trailer when hooked up to the truck. Happy with it so far.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:32 PM   #4

I've heard good things about the Correct Track as well. I'd be leery of blocks between spring and axle. Are the axles under or over the springs?
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #5
wde
Life long camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
The reason is that I just got through having $3200 worth of repairs done from damage caused by a tire blowout on a less than 1 year old camper.
The pathetic tires that Forest River put on this camper combined with the fact that they are rated just at the trailers weight capacity made me decide to go to larger rims so I could install better tires with more margin for weight capacity.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:42 PM   #6
wde
Life long camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
I've heard good things about the Correct Track as well. I'd be leery of blocks between spring and axle. Are the axles under or over the springs?
Axles are over springs, so the only options are the blocks or the Lippert kit.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #7

Why don't you just get heavier ply tire, or higher load index numbered tire? Be cheaper than 4 new wheels.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #8

Lifting may not be the only consideration ......will the axle spacing allow larger diameter wheels & tires?? ......
Old 12-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #9

Agree with ard58. I recently upgraded (after two blow outs in 30 miles) from E rated Chinese Bombs to G rated Goodyear G514 RSTs--They are like semi tires. Not cheap but after my roadside experience, DW won't stand for that any longer.
#1BAMAFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:46 PM   #10
wde
Life long camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard58 View Post
Why don't you just get heavier ply tire, or higher load index numbered tire? Be cheaper than 4 new wheels.
No tires available in a higher rating in size 15 inch.
Already have E rated 15 inch which are 2840 lb.
Since I was going to replace all five low grade OEM tires from Forest River anyway, might as well go better tire and weight rating.
Doesn't take long at $3200 a pop to get my money back.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #11
wde
Life long camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tande View Post
Lifting may not be the only consideration ......will the axle spacing allow larger diameter wheels & tires?? ......
Yes
Old 12-13-2018, 03:26 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Are you sure you have to lift? Going from 15" to 16" will only bring you 1/2" closer to your trailer. I can't imagine that clearances are that tight. Also, you could go to a slightly smaller tire in the next load range up and still gain a lot of weight capacity. The smaller size might get you back that 1/2". So, I'm saying if you have a ST235/15 now, try looking at a ST 225/16. Check out overall diameter. I wouldn't immediately assume that you need to lift.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
Higher load carrying capacity. I went from 15" D's to 16" E's on my former TT after a tire failure. Considering going to F or G 16's on our new 5er.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #14
wde
Life long camper

Actually, going to 16 inch tire will add 1.25 in (28.25in in 15's and 30.75 in 16's).
This will get me to within approximately 1.5in of my deck in wheel well.
Think I better go up a little to allow clearance for tire movement while travelling.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:36 PM   #15
wde
Life long camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
Higher load carrying capacity. I went from 15" D's to 16" E's on my former TT after a tire failure. Considering going to F or G 16's on our new 5er.
Same reasoning for me
Old 12-13-2018, 04:13 PM   #16

Over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wde View Post
Axles are over springs, so the only options are the blocks or the Lippert kit.
Umm, I'm not real swift on this. Help me a little.

If I understand correctly, the "blocks" you describe fit between the axle saddles and the springs. You would replace the U-bolts with longer U-bolts, right?

But if the axles are over the springs, that would have the effect of lowering the trailer, not raising it, right?

Wouldn't it be easier, cheaper to just replace the shackles with longer ones? If you replace just the shackles with longer ones, you will gain an inch for with a two inch longer shackle. If you can find equalizer arms that have more lift, the same applies. That is, (assuming two axles), you replaced all four shackles with shackles an inch longer and both equalizer arms with arms with an inch more vertical depth, you would ride a inch higher.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:15 PM   #17

Check your height before making changes. Don't wanna hit low objects.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #18
wde
Life long camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Umm, I'm not real swift on this. Help me a little.

If I understand correctly, the "blocks" you describe fit between the axle saddles and the springs. You would replace the U-bolts with longer U-bolts, right?

But if the axles are over the springs, that would have the effect of lowering the trailer, not raising it, right?

Wouldn't it be easier, cheaper to just replace the shackles with longer ones? If you replace just the shackles with longer ones, you will gain an inch for with a two inch longer shackle. If you can find equalizer arms that have more lift, the same applies. That is, (assuming two axles), you replaced all four shackles with shackles an inch longer and both equalizer arms with arms with an inch more vertical depth, you would ride a inch higher.

Larry
You are correct, I misspoke.
My springs are over the axles so adding the 1.5 in blocks will raise the trailer 1.5 in plus the 16 in tires will add another 1.25 in to total trailer height.
The block kits I am looking at actually come with the longer u-bolts and they are 9/16 grade 8 bolts instead of the factory 1/2 grade 5 bolts.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:57 PM   #19

15 inch tires

Your saying that you want to put 16 inch rims & tires on because you cannot find a dependable 15 inch tire. Have you looked at the Maxxis 8008 tire in 15 in. diameter, Load Range E. I removed the China bombs after 200 miles on our new Prime Time 5th wheel and replaced those with the Maxxis. I now have around 7500 miles on the Maxxis without incident.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #20

Have you considered just reinforcing the wheel well area? That way, you could just get higher quality tires and IF you had a blowout, it wouldn't cause damage.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, lift, tire, tires, wheel