Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2019, 03:27 PM   #1

Lippert AND Dexter axles???

I have a 2018 Wolf Pack 24 toy hauler, bumper pull. We just took a trip from Wisconsin down to the Fl Keys and on the way there in southern Georgia the rear drivers side bearings went out taking out the axle. Yes, now I know not to really trust the ez lube hubs and will be doing it right from now on. Anyway, we were broke down for 2 days and finally found a place that sold Dexter axles(ours has a lippert). It has the same 5200 lb rating but was 1.5" shorter end to end, it also came with hubs and brakes. We ended up buying it and found a welding shop in town to weld on the spring perches. My question is,, will I have any problem running 2 different kinds of axles? The rest of the trip it seemed to pull fine, and I didnt notice any weird tire wear.
thanks for your input.
campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:33 PM   #2

I went out and looked at mine to see if I had an axle that was 3/4" shorter on each side. I don't think I would have an issue at all. A long as you have plenty of clearance, I don't see a problem.

I replaced all my bearings with US made Timken bearings and hand pack only. I do not use the EZ lube "feature". In theory it would be good for people that don't have mechanical ability but its not worth using it in my opinion. Read about the people that grease the entire drum brake systems after the rear grease seal leaks..
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:47 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Axle mounting width and spring mounting brackets are typically sized/welded so they are centered on the frame flange(s).

How did they attach the mounting perches?
Were they just different brackets to match the Dexter springs and the old Lippert brackets removed and the new installed in the same spot?

Any photos?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:52 PM   #4

I had the same situation happen to me this past Oct coming back from Nashville. It was the same axle and result. That brake drum had split in half also. Had to replace the rear axle and I had them replace the front axle also. Glad I did as I went from 10" brakes to 12" brakes. The new axles were 7000# and were made in Beebe, AR. Also found out that two of my spring hangers had broken away from the frame (poor welding). All is fixed and now I am a happy camper.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:01 PM   #5

The new axle didn’t have any spring pads on it, but came with them to weld on to your size. The welding shop we found centered the axle and welded them on.
I bought the axle at a “big Tex” trailer dealer in Cordele, Ga. ,, if they weren’t around I’m not sure what we would have done.
I was hoping I could just run it as is now and not have to go buy another new axle and go through all that again!
I guess now I just order 2 different bearing and seal kits when I re grease.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:35 PM   #6
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Had that happen to me going through Phoenix about four years ago...

No axles to be had in town and would take a week to get one from Elkhart.

Sun City RV took the axle off and sent it to an axle shop where they cut in in half and welded another half to it so I could finish my trip and drive the 1200 miles home.

Cost me $ 1000 for that...and another $3000 when I got home to get two new upgraded axles, springs and bigger tires and wheels.

That was also when I found out just how much money I wasted on the dealership-sold extended warranty...it was worthless!

They didn't pay a dime.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by campin View Post
I guess now I just order 2 different bearing and seal kits when I re grease.
They are different? Surprised considering they are the same rating.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:49 PM   #8

Honestly I’m not sure if they are different, just figured 2 different manufacturers would use different parts.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by campin View Post
Honestly I’m not sure if they are different, just figured 2 different manufacturers would use different parts.
They could easily be the same. Easy to take the outer off to see if they are least the same.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #10

Dexter Axle

We heard noise coming from our axle/wheels and had a mobile rv mechanic come out. He had to repair and replace parts on all four wheels. We contacted Dexter and they reimbursed us for our costs which was $1300+. Good luck.
bearscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:58 AM   #11

Just FYI. In 2014 while on a trip from Texas to Alaska and back we had a wheel bearing fail and chew up a Lipert axle in Kansas. We found a Dexter at a trailer shop and with local help swapped it in a small city park. Later in the same trip between Denali and Anchorage the other Lipert repeated the trick. All had been service by our dealer just before we left home. We limped into Anchorage and found a shop that specializes in trailer suspension repairs. They replaced the bad axle with a Dexter that matched the rear in less than four hours. We never had another axle/bearing problem over the next five years. Our new Flagstaff has Dexter units and I am very pleased about that.
JPSPete20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:20 AM   #12

My Avenger with Dexter axles had excessive play in the bearings in all 4 hubs... Make sure they're properly tightened.

The factory gets these axles as a finished assembly, and they just bolt them on, mount the wheels, and down the road it goes.

Dexter has a good reputation, but if they're the first ones made on Monday, or the last ones made on Friday...

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:24 AM   #13
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post

Dexter has a good reputation, but if they're the first ones made on Monday, or the last ones made on Friday...
Or all the other ones made in between on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday...

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:34 AM   #14

Good point!!

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle