Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2016, 03:57 PM   #1

Lippert axles

I recently read about problems with lippert axles. One where they caught fire and another where wheels fell off due to bad welds. I have lipperts on my trailer and am considering changing them to Dexter's. Are these common problems with these axles? I try to be proactive about my trailer but proactive is getting to be very expensive.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
I recently read about problems with lippert axles. One where they caught fire and another where wheels fell off due to bad welds. I have lipperts on my trailer and am considering changing them to Dexter's. Are these common problems with these axles? I try to be proactive about my trailer but proactive is getting to be very expensive.
It's my understanding LCI now owns Dexter......
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
I think they are the same axle and yes they bought out Dexter and AL-KO, they have the whole market now. At least the majority of it. I don't think that it is a major problem being they are used by almost all the RV industry. Did they give you a failure rate by any chance?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:05 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I believe Dexter axle is still separate from lippert. I do know Lippert bought Dexter Frame, but I don't think they acquired the axle division.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I believe Dexter axle is still separate from lippert. I do know Lippert bought Dexter Frame, but I don't think they acquired the axle division.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I believe that is correct. An axle can't catch on fire. It's made of steel. A wheel hub can catch fire it has or is supposed to have grease in it. Not enough grease and it will overheat and possibly burn. That is not the axles fault...Wheels falling off??? Really! That's one I never heard before....I doubt that Lippert axles are really any different than any of the others. There are literally hundreds of thousands of them in use. I doubt that you will have any axle related problems if you properly maintain it. Changing the brand of axle won't improve your chances. Lippert probably also made your frame, windows, exterior door, leveling system, and many other components in your trailer. They own a lot of companies.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle