Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2019, 04:55 PM   #1

Lippert Leveling

Not exactly 'running gear' but best match for category I could find. Just wanted to share my experiences with Lippert Leveling Jacks. I have had other rigs with HWH (the best), Bigfoot and now Lippert on my 2019 Forester Class C. We looked at other MH brands like Thor, for example, not to mention FR's own Leprechaun and others which either have nothing, or merely "stabilizer jacks". Meaning you are on your own to experiment with blocks and such to get level in what are mostly unlevel campground sites. For me it was one of the essentials... sine qua non. My new rig MUST have leveling jacks.

I thought I would share my experiences with the Lippert system for those new to it or contemplating a new rig. Lippert's system was new to me but after studying the manual plus some trial and error, I finally figured it out. Once you have the auto leveling calibrated (instructions in their manual) then you can press auto level and if you're not too far out of level, one touch of the AutoLevel button and you should be good to go. When you get the green dot glowing solid in the middle and the LED screen reads Level, you are done... almost!

Occasionally it happens even with a calibrated system that the coach is still leaning one way or the other, either due to soft ground, or particularly sometimes after putting out both driver side slides. You can restract your jacks and start over, but I have finally figured out how to bump one side or the other, front or back, up a hair to get level again. You use the arrows to scroll down on the LED screen to "Manual" then hit Enter and this puts you in manual mode with the jacks down and the rig almost level. Now if you momentarily touch one side or the other, or front or back, those jacks will extend slightly. With a carpenter's level to check results, it is a fairly simple matter to bump it once or twice and adjust the rig to perfect level once again. I am pretty sure with it in "manual" mode, you can also press retract and then adjust any pair of jacks down instead of up, though I haven't tried it yet. Mostly we just just bump up the right or left side or the front or rear to get things within tolerances.

Occasionally it happens that after getting level either with autolevel or after manual adjustment that one or more wheels are off the ground. Or even that the LED simply reads "excess slope" I think it is. at that point you don't have a lot choice except to fully auto retract the jacks and start over. I bought a 4x6' sheet of horse stall pad, available from any Feed and Grain store. This is thick, dense heavy duty rubber pad, about 3/4" thick.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JBFSEP8
It's easy to cut into small pads with a utility knife and straight edge, and I store 'em in an under bay. These make great jack pads if the ground is soft or to build up the area under the jacks if you have to raise one side or the other up more than jack extension allows. Also nice for under the tires if you want to keep your tires touching the ground (fully advisable) or even for extended storage on concrete for example. tires on rubber fare better than tires on concrete for long periods.

Anyhow, I hope this has been helpful
2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling