Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #1

Lippert power tongue jack

My 08 V lite has the lippert power tongue jack, and 3 times now WE-(not naming names) have over-extended the limit of the length. The jack won't retract back on it's own when this happens, and you have to get the manual auxillary crank handle and open the flap on the top and hand-crank it down a little, so the worm gear catches hold. There should be a limit switch on this, so it won't allow it to go off the screw-shaft end. Just thought i'd let folks know about this problem, and how to fix it if this happens to you!!! HAPPY CAMPING!!! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #2

Stay away from anything Lippert makes. Had problem with electric step called them all they wanted was money and no help.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:55 PM   #3

Does your jack look like this?
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #4

YES Mike, that's the one! I must use that hand crank if it gets opened beyond the limits of the worm gears. Randy
Old 09-02-2009, 10:36 PM   #5

Just ran across this post as today my power jack, the one pictured in the previous post, seized (not even 6 months old). I tried to manaully crank it but broke the handle! I had to put a Heavy duty bottle jack under the tounge and remove the power jack. Once out, I tipped it and water came gushing out of the top! Will call Forest River tomorrow and see what can be done...In the meantime, Thank god I had an old spare 3500lb crank style BAL jack and was able to put that on in place of the power jack.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:45 AM   #6

Are all Lippert products imported? This is a new name to me.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
Are all Lippert products imported? This is a new name to me.
They're right in Goshen Indiana. They manufacture all the slide-out & leveler mechanisms for the Georgetown Motorhomes and a whole lot more.

http://www.lci1.com/

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
They're right in Goshen Indiana. They manufacture all the slide-out & leveler mechanisms for the Georgetown Motorhomes and a whole lot more.

http://www.lci1.com/

Ok, thanks for the reply..
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #9

Saw a Rockwood TT today, I didn't notice the model. They had a cover over the power jack. This looks like it may be a good idea to keep dirt and water out.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #10

The Lippert Tongue jack is manufactured and warrantied by Venture Mfg. Co..

I searched for information on Venture Tongue jacks and only came up with this and this.

Also found info on the Limit Switch Adjustment.

More info here.

Maybe contact Venture about your problem.

3636 Dayton Park Dr.
Dayton, OH 45414
Phone Number: (937) 233-8792 (937) 233-8792
Toll Free: (866) 365-1957 (866) 365-1957
Fax Number: (937) 233-8485
Old 09-03-2009, 10:54 PM   #11

GREAT INFO!!! Thanks a lot, Mike. I'll go out there tomorrow and set the limit switches, if it has them. Forest river never sent any of that info you found when they shipped my unit! Thanks again, Randy
Old 09-04-2009, 08:25 AM   #12

You could always mark you limit area with RED paint or magic marker so you or spouse will know when to stop.
I have a Barker power jack and love it. Any time the trailer isn't going down the road I have bucket turned over the jack head with the chain hooks hanging from the bucket handle to keep the wind from blowing it off. Sure beat a jack head full of water.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:52 AM   #13
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamasurveyor View Post
Any time the trailer isn't going down the road I have bucket turned over the jack head with the chain hooks hanging from the bucket handle to keep the wind from blowing it off. Sure beat a jack head full of water.
This works well for me on my Ultra jack. Not real sure it would fit on a Lippert which seems to have a slightly larger head. Check their site for a comparable product.
http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...d&Nty=1&Ntpc=1

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #14

Good news...Called Forest River and they are shipping a new power front jack to the local Flagstaff dealer that will replace the seized jack. When I took the jack off the tounge, I found it was loaded with water which was why it seized in the first place! Good to know that people at Forest River stand by their products.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #15

Be sure to cover the jack motor when not in use.

http://www.adventurerv.net/ultra-pow...er-p-1441.html
Old 10-18-2009, 09:01 AM   #16

UPDATE !!!! Forest River sent a new power jack to a dealer near us when we were camping. 3 days later, the dealer called me on my cell phone and asked if I would like to have them install it (at no charge) or pick it up so I could do the install. I opted to do a pick up and install it myself. Upon arrival, I noticed this new jack was a little different and seemed to be better sealed against the weather. Jack works like a charm...if this one goes bad, I will go back to a barker jack...never had a problem with them on my 2 previous TTs Attached is a picture of the new Lippert jack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 012.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1876  
Old 08-23-2010, 09:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Elaine View Post
UPDATE !!!! Forest River sent a new power jack to a dealer near us when we were camping. 3 days later, the dealer called me on my cell phone and asked if I would like to have them install it (at no charge) or pick it up so I could do the install. I opted to do a pick up and install it myself. Upon arrival, I noticed this new jack was a little different and seemed to be better sealed against the weather. Jack works like a charm...if this one goes bad, I will go back to a barker jack...never had a problem with them on my 2 previous TTs Attached is a picture of the new Lippert jack.
I know this is an old thread, but I was looking for some information about the Lippert power tongue jack. My unit was transported to Forest River for warranty work, and in the process the tongue jack was damaged. They replaced it with an LCI unit that looks exactly like the one in the picture above. My first impression is that it is much louder and slower than the one that was damaged. I am looking for reviews on the long term performance of the LCI unit. At present I am thinking I want the same brand as my old one (the brand name escapes me), but if the LCI is a good unit I may decide to keep it. Any response is appreciated.
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpaofthree View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I was looking for some information about the Lippert power tongue jack. My unit was transported to Forest River for warranty work, and in the process the tongue jack was damaged. They replaced it with an LCI unit that looks exactly like the one in the picture above. My first impression is that it is much louder and slower than the one that was damaged. I am looking for reviews on the long term performance of the LCI unit. At present I am thinking I want the same brand as my old one (the brand name escapes me), but if the LCI is a good unit I may decide to keep it. Any response is appreciated.
Mine looks exactly like that one, and it just quit working after about six months. A bought it new from a third party who couldn't use it, so warranty is probably out of the question. Anyway, I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow to let them look at it. Because the hole for the manual crank is on the top, it is very difficult to raise the tongue and rear end of the truck high enough to get the equalizer bars on and off. Trying to turn that crank when it's at eye level becomes very awkward. FYI, the Stromberg-Carlson website says they manufacture this unit, though they show it with the LCI logo on it, just like the one shown in another post here.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:16 PM   #19
MrT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Elaine View Post
That's the one I have, and so far--no issues. By the way, is that a flag holder attached to the LP gas tank cover? Nice idea!

2017 Cedar Creek 38CK Hathaway Edition
2015 Ford F-350 6.7 CC 4x4
B&W RVK3300
Full-timing since 5/2/2016. Roam Sweet Home.
FROG Int'l Rallies: 2012-2017
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:38 AM   #20

Thy flag holder is indeed attached to the bottle covers with a few screws. I have also had problems with the second jack that was sent to replace the original jack. It was another lippert jack that was a different style but still the same old problems! It was so slow that it took about 5 minutes to fully extend.I think part of the problem is that these lippert jacks are rated for 25,000 lbs but seem to struggle with my 831FKBSS which is very tounge heavy due to the front kitchen. I finally called forest river on 6/6/10 and told them of these power jack issues and was told to send it back and they would send another to replace it. I didn't want another lippert headace and went out and purchaed a Barker jack and sent the lippert jack back to forest river and they are sending me $140 as that is the cost of these cheap power jacks. As of yet, I haven't received the money but a call to forest river on August 27th revealed that Josh Tackett is no longer in charge of the Ultra lites and has gone to the pop-up division. I have been told that a check for the $140 will be in the mail by next week...we shall see as we all have heard that "the check is in the mail"