Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2021, 12:37 PM   #1

Lippert Torsion Axles

My FR RPod has Lippert Torsion axles and would like to know how to check them. I know they have a bad reputation and hope to spot issues before anything gets too bad (bearings are packed every winter)
Old 08-30-2021, 12:59 PM   #2

Curious as to what you heard creating a bad reputation? In all of my research I found they were considered superior to traditional spring axles. I have seen some bent spindles that people had to fix, other then that no issues.
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:06 PM   #3

I’ve come across threads talking about having to replace the Lipperts twice and then finally replacing them with Dexters. Several people chime in with similar experiences.
Old 08-30-2021, 01:44 PM   #4

Most issues I've read about are due to tire wear most likely due to imapact ( realized or not) with curb or pothole.

Overall the "axles" perform better than leaf spring supported axles in the same weight rating.

Torsion suspensions have been around for as long as most of us here have been alive and the actual torsion "spring" rarely is a problem.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:07 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Check them for what?

The few torsion axle issues I've heard/read about were LIPPERT manufactured.
A couple were bent axle tubes and I think one or two were an issue with cross bracing.
But then again, a lot of LCI stuff is inferior. (my opinion)

I did read about a bent spindle on a Dexter and someone chimed in on that thread and said they had a bent spindle too. After the axle was replaced the OP said the other spindle on that side was bent as well.

I too believe torsion axles perform better than traditional sprung axles.

Watch your tire wear, pack the bearings regularly, check the brake lining periodically and enjoy your camping trips.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 03:57 PM   #6

Hey TM & 5p -
Thanks for your help….
VR51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:04 PM   #7

You would be better off to do an axle swap. I had a 48 foot trailer with torsion type axles and they were horrible. Very scary road manners and unpredicatble when loaded. I dont remember the axle brand and I sold the trailer before disaster could strike. I will never buy another trailer that does not use conventional suspension and leafs.
krazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR51 View Post
I’ve come across threads talking about having to replace the Lipperts twice and then finally replacing them with Dexters. Several people chime in with similar experiences.
I just had to replace a Dexter axle due to a bent spindle. Having done that revealed that the rear wheel spindle was bent, too. I'm in the process of filing that claim.

My point is that Dexter axles fail too, but I wouldn't worry about it unless and until it happens to you. Just don't overload the trailer and don't hit curbs if avoidable.

The way to check spindle alignment is to align a straightedge vertically against the trailer frame, from the frame above the tire to the ground. Measure the distance from top inner sidewall to the straightedge. Do the same for the bottom. If they're different, it's not straight.

My measurements are attached. It's hard to see the scale but they're sufficient to demonstrate the problem. This example is much less bent that the one I already replaced but I drove on the more badly bent spindle for 3 weeks until I was able to replace it. In the meantime, it ate tires. That saga is documented here.

These are rotated and I can't fix it. I tried to force the orientation by rotating them in a photo editor before upload but it didn't work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bottom inner wall.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	262586

Name:	top inner sidewall.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	262587

Name:	tilt.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	262588

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle