Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2019, 07:22 AM   #1

Lipperts axles

I just helped a friend repack wheel bearings on his Puma. Before we started on the adventure, I called Lippert and they said that they recommend taking hubs off and repacking bearings and not to use grease zerks to grease hubs. Once we got into it we found that spindles have a port to the inside. To me they look like the easy lube axles. They even said they don't advice to use the grease zerks. To me it seems as though they would be a good way to replenish the grease. By the way, they deliver the axles to Forest River with just the bearings packed with grease. In other words the hollow part of hub had no grease. Am I thinking wrong that the bubs should be packed with grease.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:31 AM   #2

A lot of folks don't trust using the zerks because if they overfill the cavity, grease can blow by the rear seals and coat the brakes. The cavity is not filled from the factory, just the bearings are greased. Removing hubs to service the bearings also provides the opportunity to inspect the brakes, your choice.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:34 PM   #3

Chances are the axles aren't "Lippert" but from Dexter.

The engineers at Dexter designed something to make it easier for users to lube axle bearings and believe it or not, if one follows the instructions to the letter, from selection of grease, type of grease gun, and the actual method of applying the grease it works great. To repeat, Follow the instructions to the letter.

Using the EZ-Lube system works fine, just keep them away from dealer personnel and hope that someone didn't give them a good "squirt" before you purchased it with a power grease gun.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle