Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2019, 07:49 AM   #1

Load range E, 10 ply Castle Rocks.

Hi folks, have read numerous threads about the Castle Rock, Chinese Nombs!
My question is this, has anyone had problems with the load range E, 10 ply tires?
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #2

IMHO E rated rubber is great for TT & 5er's under 10,000 lbs. As the rig gets heavier you need to consider G rated (14 ply) to protect your investment. But this usually means upgrading the wheels also. Do it and balance the assembly, 30-40k miles is not uncommon. When you handle a dismounted Castle Rock tire in one hand and a Sailun in the other, the choice is obvious.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:27 AM   #3
Coach

We are prone to hearing more bad things than good on sites like this, so you always have to keep that in mind. That being said, I've never heard or read anything good about Castle Rock tires in any size or load rating. Personally I've read enough of the bad to warrant not giving them a chance to prove me wrong. I have no desire to ever own a set.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:08 PM   #4

I have no problems so far with the Castle Rock 14" LR D that came standard on my A-frame. But...

- The tires have a decent margin on the A-frames. Max GVW on the A-frame is 3350#, actual camping weight with water is 3120#, and tires are good for 3720#. I air them up to 66-69 PSI before each trip, the amount selected depending on anticipated temps and altitude at destination.

- Have only made 4 trips so far since buying this camper in 2018, all less than 500 miles round trip. Waiting for weekly snows to end to head out again.

Previous 2014 A-frame had 13" Trail Express (another US subsidary/importer for a Chinese company, probably same Chinese manufacturer as Castle Rock), and those went 5 years/14K miles without issue. However, they appeared ready for replacement after those 5 years.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundia Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:42 PM   #5

got rid of my Castle Rocks. and my trailer at the same time. new toy hauler has higher end tires on it.
not the china bombs they put on trailers to ship them out the door.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyduo View Post
We are prone to hearing more bad things than good on sites like this, so you always have to keep that in mind. That being said, I've never heard or read anything good about Castle Rock tires in any size or rating. Personally I've read enough of the bad to warrant not giving them a chance to prove me wrong. I have no desire to ever own a set.
Here's something good. I now have about 25K miles on the OEM Castle Rock tires that came on my trailer. Only issue has been a nail I picked up in West Virginia. Tires are wearing evenly and I have no reason to consider replacing them at this time.

With that said, based on actual trailer weights, I have close to a 30% load reserve. Most all of cases where folks have complained about tires and replaced them increased the load range on the tires they bought as replacements. I continue to wonder what reports we would see if folks were running the "recommended" tire brands with a 10% or lower load reserve.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:23 AM   #7

I too have the original castle rocks on my Wildwood Xlite.
No odd wear and over 10k.
I am relacing however before this summer as i have another trip of over 8K miles
seizethebay is offline   Reply With Quote