Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2020, 09:01 PM   #41

Load Range E doesn't come in 205 size tires, at least according to my research

My recommendation is Goodyear Endurance Load Range D tires.
champ837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:02 PM   #42

Input re tires

I would go up at least one ply rating from your C rated to D rated tires. I upgraded our 5er from the factory class E tires to G rated a couple years and about 20000 miles ago with Carlisle tires which are wearing extremely well and looks like I will get another 20K on them. Ensure to have any trailer tires you choose to go with balanced and inflate to max tire pressure rating or at the least within 10%
hicksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:07 PM   #43
Bob n Vic Summer Getaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjrdmr View Post
My 2015 #2604WS came with Constancy 205/75/14 - C tires. Had a blowout after about 15K miles. Although the other 3 tires still look good I plan to replace all 4, but I'm finding objective quality recommendations regarding brand /model choice difficult to find. When I search on the internet I find Goodyear Endurance and a couple of different models by Carlisle, but I don't find other brands that I am familiar with. I've seen references to the Goodyear's on this forum, but I'd welcome some input regarding other choices.
I would most definitely go with the Goodyear endurance tires. I just bought a new travel trailer a couple years ago and it had those Chinese or should I say China bomb tires on there and I got rid of them right away. I wanted tires that were made in the USA. With a good warranty. I wouldn't stray off of anything that wasn't made in the US. If I'm not mistaken I think Carlisl
e is made in China as well.
BobnVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:17 PM   #44

Get good truck tires

So we're driving along I40 in Texas in Feb 2019 and I am getting a break because my wife is driving our Ram 3500 with a 5th wheel Arctic Wolf when WHAM WHAM WHAM - Texas sized potholes. (Can't imagine Alaska sized potholes :-)

Everything seemed fine until maybe 50 miles down the road when I happened to look in the passenger side mirror and noticed pieces of tire flying off the rim and trashing the side of the trailer. Not good. She pulled over and I have never seen a tire so shredded. These were the original China bombs. Luckily the spare fit and the truck jack worked on the trailer.

In Tulsa, near our destination, I got new, bigger rims and 14 ply TransEagle ST23580R16's truck tires, not an 8 ply trailer tire, plus they were a about 2" taller than the old ones which helped level the trailer because we pull with a RAM 3500 and Forest River does not make their trailers high enough to pull with modern trucks. Expensive but a LOT better than being stuck on the side of the road in nowhere Texas. AND it helped level the trailer (still about 2" high in front but I live with it).

As a continuation, in Feb 2020, we're driving along I10 and the rear driver side tire on the Ram3500 blows - fist sized hole in the Firecrap tire. The jack wouldn't lift the truck AND the 5th so I used the electric trailer jacks plus the truck jack to pick up the truck. Worked well. Figured out how to get the spare down (a little hole in the back of the truck) and bought Michelin's when we got to Tucson.

Hopefully no more tire adventures. We have tires I trust and I cover the trailer tires in storage. Sorry for the long story but dealers selling vehicles with #@$# for tires annoys me to put it politely.
jcschultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:10 PM   #45

saloun

ive had saloun tires on my rig now for 3 years got about 2500 mi on them and i am very happy with them,they were recommended to me by a man in the campground and he had 5000 mi on his and he was very happy with them too,they are 16 ply tiresload range f..got them from simple tire..free shipping and they ship fast..
Old 06-29-2020, 10:33 PM   #46

15 inch wheels carrying about 7600#:
Avoid Goodyear MARATHON for sure. Had bad luck even with Load Range E with Carlisles; blowouts and sidewalls rather weak compared to Maxxis. Good luck w/ 2 sets of Maxxis, but some tendancy to weather check after 5 years.
Foothills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:07 AM   #47
ysidive

Quote:
My 2015 #2604WS came with Constancy 205/75/14 - C tires. Had a blowout after about 15K miles. Although the other 3 tires still look good I plan to replace all 4, but I'm finding objective quality recommendations regarding brand /model choice difficult to find. When I search on the internet I find Goodyear Endurance and a couple of different models by Carlisle, but I don't find other brands that I am familiar with. I've seen references to the Goodyear's on this forum, but I'd welcome some input regarding other choices.
Most likely your tires are just barely enought for the size trailer you have...They were probably also a C rated tire... I had the same size on my trailer and I immediately went to the Goodyear Endurance one size larger to a 215/75/14 D rated tire... World of difference and some extra carrying capacity... Over 12,000 mile on them now.... Go the one size larger you will not be sorry
Days Camping 2022 Not Enough
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:49 AM   #48

wjrdmr, I had a similar situation when i received my 2015 Salem Travel Trailer and one of my tires blew apart and a second one the tread separated. I was directed to replace all with "D" wall tires and after 3 years, no issues! Hope this helps.
USN6973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:22 AM   #49
JGC

Go Goodyear!!!
Bump up one load rating from what you have if you can and run pressures at about 10 percent under max.

We’ve put them on three of our TT’s no problems wear well and durable. Last trip was 4 k mile with some long dirt roads and lots of Two lane hiway as well as freeway. And if you should trash one Goodyear is easier to come across.
JGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:31 AM   #50
PhD, Common Sense

Tire pressures should be based on the actual loads on the tires, not on the max rating of the tire. Of course, don’t go over the max.

If you are going to the Rally, there is a vendor there who will weigh each tire and make recommendations about the load you carry, shifting it if necessary, and tire pressures.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:04 PM   #51
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschultz01 View Post
So we're driving along I40 in Texas in Feb 2019 and I am getting a break because my wife is driving our Ram 3500 with a 5th wheel Arctic Wolf when WHAM WHAM WHAM - Texas sized potholes. (Can't imagine Alaska sized potholes :-)

Everything seemed fine until maybe 50 miles down the road when I happened to look in the passenger side mirror and noticed pieces of tire flying off the rim and trashing the side of the trailer. Not good. She pulled over and I have never seen a tire so shredded. These were the original China bombs. Luckily the spare fit and the truck jack worked on the trailer.

In Tulsa, near our destination, I got new, bigger rims and 14 ply TransEagle ST23580R16's truck tires, not an 8 ply trailer tire, plus they were a about 2" taller than the old ones which helped level the trailer because we pull with a RAM 3500 and Forest River does not make their trailers high enough to pull with modern trucks. Expensive but a LOT better than being stuck on the side of the road in nowhere Texas. AND it helped level the trailer (still about 2" high in front but I live with it).

As a continuation, in Feb 2020, we're driving along I10 and the rear driver side tire on the Ram3500 blows - fist sized hole in the Firecrap tire. The jack wouldn't lift the truck AND the 5th so I used the electric trailer jacks plus the truck jack to pick up the truck. Worked well. Figured out how to get the spare down (a little hole in the back of the truck) and bought Michelin's when we got to Tucson.

Hopefully no more tire adventures. We have tires I trust and I cover the trailer tires in storage. Sorry for the long story but dealers selling vehicles with #@$# for tires annoys me to put it politely.

So you admit to hitting a big pot hole yet still blame the location of the plant that built them as the reason for your tire failure? Did you miss my blog post on the proof that pot holes can and do cause tire failures days, weeks or months later?
Here is list of tires that ALL FAILED in this study.

What do you think of the location of the tire plants that made these tires?

Also ALL ST tires are "Trailer Tires" and are not intended or suppose to be used on vehicles with passengers.

Side issue if you are traveling high in front have you confirmed with scale readings that the rear axle of the trailer is not overloaded?
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:16 PM   #52

Tires

My fifth wheel came with ST205 75/14! I just ordered Good Year endurance! I decided to go
ST 215 75/14! They are 8ply & good for 2200lbs! Bought new aluminium rims good for 2200 lbs, better than the steel rims it came with! The size difference is minimal! The only reason my China bombs have lasted 12,000 Km is because I run 55 mph with them! I rarely touch the brakes as traffic and moving vehicles are long gone and never in my way! I have been driving a truck for 38 years now! No stress from & no one in my way at 55! Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8F030951-E608-41EC-A145-92BD8F52958A.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	324.4 KB
ID:	232871  
Luisde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:55 PM   #53
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisde View Post
My fifth wheel came with ST205 75/14! I just ordered Good Year endurance! I decided to go
ST 215 75/14! They are 8ply & good for 2200lbs! Bought new aluminium rims good for 2200 lbs, better than the steel rims it came with! The size difference is minimal! The only reason my China bombs have lasted 12,000 Km is because I run 55 mph with them! I rarely touch the brakes as traffic and moving vehicles are long gone and never in my way! I have been driving a truck for 38 years now! No stress from & no one in my way at 55! Hope this helps!

Nice wheels. Going up in load capacity is almost always a good plan.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 07-01-2020, 02:02 PM   #54

Quote:
I have the same TT and was concerned that the WESTLAKE tires it came with were getting a bit "ragged" looking. Like you I researched the hell out of tire replacements. Read almost all the tire posts, talked to my RV dealer and settled on the Endurance. When I got mine the only compatable size came in a D load rating. I bought them because of the increased load capacity plus the increased speed rating and they were made in USA. I travel at 95-100 km/h, so the speed rating of the Westlakes (100km/h) was fine, but these have a better speed rating, some extra insurance, sorta.

We found that the Endurance tracks better and gives a smoother ride and also seemed to run cooler given the same atmospherics and loading.

Good luck with what ever you choose.
2011 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 2wd Hemi 3:55 gear
Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2604WS
maggiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:04 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisde View Post

I always did like that style of wheel!! Still do!! I think they would look great on my camper too!!

Didn't know they made 5'er's with 14" wheels!!

Have a great 4th of July!!

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:27 PM   #56
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiek View Post
I have the same TT and was concerned that the WESTLAKE tires it came with were getting a bit "ragged" looking. Like you I researched the hell out of tire replacements. Read almost all the tire posts, talked to my RV dealer and settled on the Endurance. When I got mine the only compatable size came in a D load rating. I bought them because of the increased load capacity plus the increased speed rating and they were made in USA. I travel at 95-100 km/h, so the speed rating of the Westlakes (100km/h) was fine, but these have a better speed rating, some extra insurance, sorta.

We found that the Endurance tracks better and gives a smoother ride and also seemed to run cooler given the same atmospherics and loading.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

Don't forget you only get the LR-D load capacity when you run the LR-D inflation (65 psi)
Old 08-01-2020, 10:38 AM   #57

Hey all, just had 4 GY Endurance ST225/75R15 N E installed on my 37' LaCrosse Luxury Lite after I blew the left front going 40mph. The tire looked like someone had hacksawed it in half. We decided to turn around and go home, were only about 10 m into trip. Good thing. Tire guy told me that 2 of the other TOWMAX junkpiles were separating also. All tires had less than 3K miles.

Human interest : a gent on his way home stopped and changed the wheel for me oin about 5 minutes. Works for Caterpillar apparently. A true angel saved my bacon. Shout out to him.
herrrolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:28 PM   #58
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrrolf View Post
Hey all, just had 4 GY Endurance ST225/75R15 N E installed on my 37' LaCrosse Luxury Lite after I blew the left front going 40mph. The tire looked like someone had hacksawed it in half. We decided to turn around and go home, were only about 10 m into trip. Good thing. Tire guy told me that 2 of the other TOWMAX junkpiles were separating also. All tires had less than 3K miles.

Human interest : a gent on his way home stopped and changed the wheel for me oin about 5 minutes. Works for Caterpillar apparently. A true angel saved my bacon. Shout out to him.

Sorry to hear of your problems. Couple questions.

Do you know your actual scale weight on each tire position? on each axle?

Do you run TPMS? What is your low pressure warning level?

When, if ever did you do your last detailed inspection? Including Free Spin?
Old 08-01-2020, 06:45 PM   #59

I had the exact same tires as OP on my 2015 camper. Switched them to the Endurance a year or two later as the originals were rotting out. I've loved them.

Only problem is that I have an axle or suspension issue which is causing uneven wear on one. After going to three tire shops,I learned that there is a national backorder on that tire in that size. They are incredibly difficult to find and I'm told it will be that way for months. Even the Goodyear store told me to consider changing rim size or buying a different brand.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:49 PM   #60

This is just some thoughts on searching for ST tires.

The probability of your trailer tires being provided to the trailer manufacturer by a wholesaler, commonly referred to as OE or OEM tires is very high. A high percentage of unknown brands being found elsewhere may be difficult.

Vehicle owner’s manuals for RV trailers often provide a listing of the tire OEM providers. Using that information will help in the search for replacement brands the consumer wants to continue using.

Here are a couple of popular examples;

Lions Head ; Lionshead Tire and Wheel
Tredet; https://www.tredittire.com/tires/

Tags
tire, tires