Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2018, 08:13 AM   #1

Thumbs down Loose steering in brand new RV with Ford chassis

Bought a brand new 2018 Coachmen Freelander 21QB. First trip with the family found that it was impossible to keep the coach on its own lane. After many calls to Ford dealerships, I found a dealer in KY and the coach was towed there.

The service department advised me that there was nothing wrong with the steering. According to them the coach was reacting to "crosswinds" even thought it was calm with no crosswinds. I was advised that the steering was "offcenter" and that I had to pay $150 to have it repaired as the warranty did not cover this issue.

I have videos of the RV drifting into incoming traffic but Ford has adopted the same service-warranty they used with the Ford Pinto. They will pay if you have a head-on collision with another vehicle but will not pay to have the issue corrected at a much lower cost.

I am very disappointed with Ford and with the RV dealer (Clark's RV in Millbrook in Alabama). I contacted them and three weeks later, I have not heard from them. Coachmen on the other hand was very helpful in getting me to get Ford to find a dealer that could do the work.

My coach is very small (mounted on an Econoline chassis) but I wonder how they would have resolved the issue on a 30' footer as it was virtually impossible to find a Ford dealer with the necessary facilities to handle a rig 23 feet long!

Any similar issues to other forum participants?

Thanks!
TheRVPhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:18 AM   #2

How many MHs have you driven before this one? Sounds perfectly normal to me. Lots of things effect handling, roads, cross winds, side to side loading, heck even rear overhand can cause problems. Its the nature of the beast. Have you weighed it and adjusted tire pressures to match the load?
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:20 AM   #3

There are lots of threads on this board and others concerning class C handling. At minimum it will need an alignment (with new bushings) and you may find that better sway bars, steering stabilizers, and shocks are needed. Some manufactures will do a few of these things for you (i.e. Jayco) but FR does generally does nothing. Some units will have the Ride Rite air bags but these don't impact handling much.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:43 AM   #4

Search this forum for front end alignment. The Ford E450's tend to get out of alignment in the first few thousand miles, but hold the alignment thereafter. Forest River has paid for realignment. There is a specific alignment specification that is different from standard that seems to help with driving stability.

As stated above, air bag pressure can help. Try changing the pressure.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #5

Having the load unbalanced with it being heavy on the rear can cause the front to wander, check you balance.

What tires does it have on it? If the tires are cheapie or are running a maximum of their load rating they will flex and will cause wander. Someone else already mentioned to make sure they are properly inflated.

Ours is 31 feet long on the E450 chassis and did want to wander a bit until I got the alignment done, it still drives like it is 10,000lbs meaning it ain't got sports car handling and never will have.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:10 AM   #6

What you are describing is a condition known as "Oversteer". It can be controlled by inflating rear tires to MAX per pressure shown on sidewall and inflating fronts just enough to carry the load (as measured on a scale).

You will need to get individual weights for the front axle, then consult a load/inflation table to get the proper pressure for the front tires.

Many are quick to blame alignment, loose parts, etc, when tire pressure is often the culprit. Ever watch a Nascar Race on TV and listen to all the comments on car handling changing by small tire pressure adjustments? Similar situation with MH's, especially those built on "Van Chassis'"

Lastly, after you get a few more miles on the unit control will be less of an issue as you'll learn how it handles and drive accordingly.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:17 AM   #7
Empty Nesters

I have a 24 foot Sunseeker on a Ford E450 chassis and have been advised that we should load these up as much as we can...carry a full load of fresh water, etc. I've been told that usually these smaller MH should be on an E350 but they all went to E450s in the last couple of years. The E450 is really too much chassis for this small of a load.

I have been driving mine locally a few 50 mile trips and it's nothing I can't get used to...no shifting into oncoming traffic! . I checked my tire pressure and on one side the rear tires were low. I also filled up my fresh water tank for my next trip which starts this afternoon.

There are lots of reports of the E450 being fine for handling stock out of the factory. There is an alignment specifically for E450 MH on this site that you can search out.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:29 AM   #8

Did the Ford dealer actually check the alignment ? Or just center the wheel ?
Old 02-09-2018, 01:24 PM   #9

Look for a Truck Alignment shop in your area. They have an open pit rack that you can just drive on for alignment. No limit to what they can handle. Might cost you a hundred or two, but you will at least know.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:46 PM   #10

We have a 28' 2015 Lexington 265 DS on a Ford E450 chassis towing a 2013 Ford Focus using a Blue Ox Adventa system.

When we picked up the unit from the dealership we too noted that the steering seemed light and the unit was prone wandering and required constant correction. We made sure though a reliable mechanic that the alignment was true and then started adjusting what we could to produce better steering performance:

- make sure that as much of the carried weight is centered between the front and rear wheels/axles and minimize the amount of weight behind the rear axles, including dumping all waste tanks mounted behind the rear axles,
- inflate all tires to their maximum recommended pressure - 80psi in our case running Michelin M+S tires,
- inflated the rear air suspension to at least 60psi (maximum recommended is 100psi, so we have room to move this up if we need too),
- fill the 50+ gallon fuel tank before heading out especially on windy days. The tank is positioned near the bottom middle of the chassis so the additional weight helps lower the vehicle's overall centre of gravity.

All of these steps add up to much improved steering performance.

We're also mindful that we're not driving a sports car and so have managed our expectations and adjusted our driving habits back to the good old days when we were driving long large heavy "boats" on the highway - more like "cruising" than "racing".

Relax, have fun, and enjoy your journeys!
Old 02-09-2018, 01:47 PM   #11

An alignment shop that does RVs can do yours. There is a kit they put in that allows the correct alignment. Had it done in Fl. Recommended by the tire shop where I got new fronts and a Ford dealership I stopped at, both recommended the same shop. You could try that in your area.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:58 PM   #12

My reply to this message is that I understand your plight. Don't be deterred by someone telling you this is normal or let it go or whatever. I have every reason to believe you alone are the one who knows your own plight. The best way for me to reply is to let you know I had a very similar experience with a new motor home from Thor that I no longer own. The symptoms were same as yours and it was definitely not a pleasure to drive as I had always been told and all the large trucks I had driven were very comfortable to drive. It was a 25 foot class C on E450 chassis and dodged all over the road and also roof leaked like a sieve with a few other problems. I did my 3 attempts with Byerly RV in Eureka, MO as required by warranty and they didn't even want to trade for it back. Contacted manufacturer and they picked it up I got it back a month later with no leaks, new front tires, and several other additional goodies added and it did drive like a dream as it should have. Not long after I had traded it for a larger Class A I received a recall on all the tires from Michelin for complete replacement. So I certainly believe you have a problem and you do not have to haul your family in a dangerous unit like that, not to mention endangering the rest of the public.
Old codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Search this forum for front end alignment. The Ford E450's tend to get out of alignment in the first few thousand miles, but hold the alignment thereafter. Forest River has paid for realignment. There is a specific alignment specification that is different from standard that seems to help with driving stability.

As stated above, air bag pressure can help. Try changing the pressure.
Though the OP did not specify the Ford chassis, it appears the coach was built on an Ford E350 chassis.

Freelander Class C Motorhomes by Coachmen RV

The steering would be the same, but the suspension components would not. It might be on its weight limits, particularly in the rear. The OP has not indicated if this coach has air bags or/if so, how they are inflated or whether they are both holding air. Are the front and rear tires inflated to the door plate specs?

It would be interesting to know what the OP's experience level is with a coach this size. By no means is this an effort to discredit the OP, but the more we know, the more we may be able to help.

We had a 2015 Sunseeker 2500TS which is 27' bumper to bumper. It is built on a 2014 Ford E450 Ford chassis. Though we have driven large rigs for over 50 years, we took our coach in thinking we had a steering problem. It checked out OK, but the dealer did straighten the steering wheel for us at no costs.

It is very difficult to judge crosswinds unless it is very windy. Hills, tree lines etc will all have an effect on wind and wind gusts. In a strong cross wind, a passing VW will cause the coach to sway and move to the side. A roadway slant or old surface will effect steering. There are just a lot of variables.

A question to the OP. Does the coach wander in one direction (right or left) and it is corrected by the driver, or is it wandering in both direction with light steering wheel pressure by the driver? Is it the same experience on all roads?
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:56 PM   #14

Driving the F53 is like herding cats. This is not my first MH. Someone needs to build a competing chassis so Ford will have to fix theirs to keep selling it.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:03 PM   #15

Being a new vehicle ,the new tires will make it wander the first thousand miles. Aftermarket steering stabilizer will also help.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:34 PM   #16

The caster needs to be set at least to+5 or more for it to drive better. IRV forms has information also Google E450 Caster. I had the same wandering Freelander 33 ft. Also the rear canter pin was out of the hole made the steering wheel crocked

Jim 2017 Freelander 31 BH
jimmiejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:37 PM   #17
AF CMSGT RET

okay here is my 2 cents on the steering problem : I speak from driving many an RV. over the years (30+) and haven therefor driven the various chassis. What everyone on here is saying about rear overhang + rear weight plus over steer is correct. BUT the only way I have found to compensate and alleviate boils down to a very few remedies. 1. put on a very strong stabilizer in the front steering bar ( underneath chassis) 2.adjust where your tanks are when loaded or 3. buy a Springer chassis that (ford or Mercedes use on some coaches). I did the latter and man what a difference, My Dynamax Isata 3 has the Helwig rear axle system for sway and the tanks are (fuel especially) are more up front for weight distribution. and over the last 17000 miles I have loved the difference on all types of roads and conditions. I drive from Florida to Alaska (home) and can't say enough about the change in control and comfort. My advice is try/rent one and see for yourself... My friend and neighbor is so jealous , he has same size in ford chassis. More expensive but ....
pickeljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:52 PM   #18

Loose steering

Welcome to motor homing. The units are tall and start oscillation. Too much unbalanced load.
I have had 3 units in 2017. Mercedes Sprinter got blown around like a cork. Thor Palazzo had a steering unit and no independent front steering suspension. Hurt my elbows to keep straight.
Now, a Newmar London Aire 45' with Comfort Steer. Just drove 560 miles straight as an arrow in air bag comfort. 60,000 pounds makes a difference. 600 HP is significant.
Too bad an affordable RV cannot be built that could be driven 400 miles in control.
Quest9914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #19

Just traded in 2015 GT 364 . Spent big bucks doing everything - Front and rear anti-sway bars, steering stabilizer, tracbar and Sumo springs with only modest improvement. Finally got somewhat used to but long trips were exhausting. Traded for a 2018 Berkshire...what a difference! It’s a whole new world of comfortable driving.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:16 PM   #20

In 2004, I purchased a 35' Newmar Scotsdale Class A. The first few times I drove it, I was all over the road. It certainly did not handle like my pick up. I had a front end steering stabilizer installed. Like night and day. Fixed my problem. Not say that will fix your issue. But it will help. Cross winds still effected it after the install but not like before.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford