Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2021, 05:10 PM   #1

Losing faith in Forest River.

Just finished replacing the under belly of my 2020 Lacrosse 3311RK. During our summer vacation trip to Yellowstone this summer, we encountered heavy winds in South Dakota. These winds ripped the underbelly off the trailer, exposing the ductwork and wiring. The wiring and duct work were dragging the road since being exposed. I was told by Primetime that the underbelly was secured to the frame with screws. Semi truth, the front and rear of the trailer had screws securing the underbelly, both of the sides, 38 ft worth, were secured with nails. Thus the wind pulled some out and ripped the underbelly off. After a couple of hours underneath the trailer using zip ties to secure the wiring we continued our trip to Yellowstone. Thankfully the weather was mild because the ductwork had been ripped away when the underbelly ripped off.
Upon our return to Florida, the right rear tire locked up. Upon removal of the tire and brake hub we found a catastrophic failure of the brake. Practically disintegrated. The magnet was just a ball of wire, few pieces resembled what they should have looked like. After removing the remains, we were able to continue our trip home.
This week I replaced the underbelly with screws, many screws to prevent a reoccurrence of our misfortune. I also replaced the right rear brake assembly. Since we are planning another trip next month, I thought it prudent to check the other brakes. I have only one jack so I have to do each wheel separately. Upon removal of the right front wheel I discovered that my trailer came with left sided brakes on the right side. I cant tell if the right rear was correct because of its failure and subsequent destruction. I replaced it with a right side brake. Imagine my surprise when I discover a left sided brake assembly on the right front. I have not checked the left side yet because I am awaiting a right side brake assembly to complete the right side. The right front brake was not functioning due to the fact that the wires inside the brake were not clipped into place and they were rubbed by the hub , breaking the insulation and even destroying the wiring. Not sure if a left sided brake would even work correctly on the wrong side but if so, the lack of continuity in the wiring would prevent correct functioning.
After spending over 40,000 on a new 2020 travel trailer, I feel Forest River should refund some of my money. My trailer was built pre Covid, so I can only imagine things have gotten worse. May have to switch my allegiance to another brand next time.
Kenbidwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:17 PM   #2
Just Tryin' to Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbidwell View Post
I feel Forest River should refund some of my money. My trailer was built pre Covid, so I can only imagine things have gotten worse. May have to switch my allegiance to another brand next time.
Sorry to hear a story like yours.
I feel like much of this should be warranty work. Not sure if they would refund $$, but I doubt it, you could ask.
Switching allegiance would probably not help or do any better.
Best part of your story is you were able to make some of the repairs yourself, lots of folks would not be able.
Equalizer Hitch w/ 4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1082
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:22 PM   #3

Very disappointing. Some of us lack the skills to make the repairs you did. I wouldn't know a right side brake assembly from a left.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:32 PM   #4

*** puts down phone, pucks up flashlight and starts shimmying under the Flagstaff for a check with much greater scrutiny! ***
MRTull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:38 PM   #5
Scoundrel

While you have the brake assembly apart you might as well check the wheel bearings. There are numerous stories of late model trailers coming from the factory with very little grease.

Its also possible that FR would approve of your repairs by an independent mobil RV tech.

Good luck with your repairs.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:49 PM   #6

We have had our trailer for about 2 years now so we are out of the warranty year. I just know we have not abused our trailer, quite the opposite. I am able to maintain just about everything it needs. I am taking care of the wheel bearings as well but maintenance aside, it should not have come from the factory with the issues I am finding! It would be nice if a Primetime representative would see this and reach out but I am just a small fish in the sea and won't hold my breath.
Old 10-19-2021, 05:59 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
We have had our trailer for about 2 years now so we are out of the warranty year. I just know we have not abused our trailer, quite the opposite. I am able to maintain just about everything it needs. I am taking care of the wheel bearings as well but maintenance aside, it should not have come from the factory with the issues I am finding! It would be nice if a Primetime representative would see this and reach out but I am just a small fish in the sea and won't hold my breath.
There no representatives from any FR Towable divisions here nor any that I know of that reads posts here.
I also have a PT product but they treated me very fairly on warranty issues.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:02 PM   #8

That's a shame. A good company can learn valuable lessons from its customers.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:00 PM   #9

We bought our 27RR new a few years ago and just had some minor QC issues. Not even worth bringing to a dealer for warranty work.

How is FR doing financially? Is the QC getting better or worse the last few years?
krazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:37 PM   #10

Quote:

I had my right rear brake blow up similar to yours this past spring. My unit was 2 1/2 years since purchase date. Went online and filed a warranty claim with Dexter along with a couple pictures of the mangled brake. Took a little while, maybe 5 weeks, but got new brake assembly, rotor and bearings shipped to the house free. Worth a try even if you have already repaired with new parts, always can use backups in an RV! One of the questions on form is if its been repaired so if you don't want backups maybe they will send you a check. Dexter warranty is for more than one year.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:48 PM   #11

At least you didn't spend $83K like I did.

I don't know about Prime Time but I do know that almost all of these other companies that were bought by Forest River do run independently.

There are fewer manufacturers now that Thor and to a lesser extent Forest River have bought up all of the smaller companies. It is all about better supply chain prices and streamlining the back office operation to try and pull greater margins out of the units. I don't know if you have heard of Tiffen which is essentially the number 1 selling Class A motorhome. They were recently bought by Thor.

As I'm sure you know poor Quality Control is rampant in the RV industry. If you take a ride to Indiana and look to get your RV fixed the folks out there will tell you up to 6 months. I have an awning on my Cedar Creek Champagne. It really looks very well put together. Too bad every single one that I have seen on this forum doesn't work correctly. I have a very good contact at Cedar Creek and he told me they essentially have to have them all re-wired. Who is going to do that one??? Your local un-qualified dealer mechanic.

I suspect your whole axle was mounted backwards, e.g. left is on right, right is on left.

I would call often or write Forest River customer service and I suspect they would refund some of your repair money. Don't roll over so quickly.

I was getting frustrated getting my unit fixed until one day I just got furiously mad and started calling and as luck would have it I found a competent person in Customer Service. Everything has been pretty smooth since then and I'm even getting a new roof. 41' roof isn't cheap!!!

We are all suckers buying these things just as we are suckers putting up with the politicians we elect . It is time for all of us to get a backbone and or keep our money in our pockets.
NJBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:27 PM   #12

Forest River does or did monitor this site and were extremely helpful in solving a puzzling issue for me even after 30 or so emails to FR and Lippert to solve the issue. Best of luck. This is a snip for this forum from 1/20/20. Perhaps a lead for assistance.

2flyingclouds,
We would be happy to assist you with your 2017 Sierra. Because your ongoing satisfaction is very important to us, we invite you to contact Lisa Goodwin in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: http://www.forestriverinc.com/Direct...51313603

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
2flyingclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:26 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2flyingclouds View Post
Forest River does or did monitor this site and were extremely helpful in solving a puzzling issue for me even after 30 or so emails to FR and Lippert to solve the issue. Best of luck. This is a snip for this forum from 1/20/20. Perhaps a lead for assistance.

2flyingclouds,
We would be happy to assist you with your 2017 Sierra. Because your ongoing satisfaction is very important to us, we invite you to contact Lisa Goodwin in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: http://www.forestriverinc.com/Direct...51313603

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
Your included link does not resolve.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115; Booked for 2022 = 41
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:36 PM   #14

The link was a personalized number concerning my issue I believe. Search Lisa Goodwin
at Forest River. Good luck!
2flyingclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:23 PM   #15

Loosing Faith In Forest River

I am so very sorry to hear about your problems with you rig. I also have lost faith in Forest River as well as the entire RV industry. The RV industry does a poor job at building RV and conducting quality control inspections at the factory and at dealerships resulting in coaches missing crucial components, like tank flushes, toilet issues, electrical issues, lose or missing screws, bolts, lights etc. I own a 2019 Isata 3 24RWM by Dynamax. Dynamax is owned by Forest River. I have experience problem with my rig as well. The first 6-mnth that I owned my coach it spent more time in the shop getting warranty repairs that it did on the road.
djbiz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:03 PM   #16

FR poor quality

We just bought a 2021 Greywolf 22RR last month. Got it home and the bathroom door would not latch as the striker was off by about an entire inch. I had to relocate it. The refrigerator was DOA not doing a thing! I removed the screws that were supposed to be holding it in place and found most were already stripped and olny attached to flimsy wafer-board. I pulled out the refrigerator and found the power wires were never connected. How could they have possibly checked this with no powere? Since purchasing I have seen numerous posts about the D rings pulling out so I unscrewed one to see what it was attached to. i removed 3 small screws And found a 2x4 below it but the screws were only 1 3/4” and about 1/8” from the edge of the 2x4 instead of in the center. I can see why these would very easily pull out! I will be checking all of the others and securing them better with lag bolts before I trust them to hold my 30K dollar Motorcycle and I hope this isnt just the tip of the iceberg! very poor quallity!!!
Haulthosetoys2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:31 PM   #17
2019legacy38re

Angry Loosing Faith In Forest River.

Try spending 150 k and have 90% of the accessories you ordered not installed at the factory, Painted the wrong color. Things installed that I did not order and got charged for. I have only had my new fifth wheel in my possession 57 days over two year 730 day period at the shop waiting for parts and install. And now have warranty things going wrong and being told I am out of warranty and they are not covered so my faith in forest river is not good they will not do anything for me and going legal. There customer service sucks they even told me if I didn't agree to sue them.
c9220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:57 AM   #18

WOW! I seed that I am not the only person who feels that they have not gotten what they paid for after buying an RV. However, I must say the the Warranty Department at Dynamax has been very helpful with fixing my warranty issues and there have been many. This is the first and last RV that I will ever buy.
djbiz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 02:47 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2flyingclouds View Post
The link was a personalized number concerning my issue I believe. Search Lisa Goodwin
at Forest River. Good luck!
It doesn't go anywhere because of the way it was cut/paste from the original post. Which is here:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2254802
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:12 AM   #20

Yep, both axles were installed backwards from the factory. Left side brakes on the right and right side brakes on the left. Looks like only one of the 4 brakes were functioning albeit at a reduced rate due to being on the wrong side. Great for traversing the Rocky Mountains earlier this year. Makes me think more of my F250 than previously thought. Contacted customer service at Primetime but no response yet.

Tags
forest river