Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2018, 09:09 PM   #21

I can't imagine what the outcome would have been if it was a single axle trailer. I blew a tire on my dual axle trailer and didn't even realize a tire was shredded.

If you have a cotter pin system, maybe whoever installed it bent it then straightened the pin out before putting it in. Those cotter pins sometimes can be re-bent but why take a chance when they are fairly cheap in cost?

Of all the You Tube videos I have seen on wheel bearing installs, I have only seen one video where the owner installed the cotter pin using military specs. We used that method of installation of cotter pins on all parts on an aircraft that required them. In addition, we also used safety wires on some nuts.

When I opened up the bearings on my boat and travel trailer for the first time, I reinstalled new cotter pins using the military specs.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh99 View Post
I can't imagine what the outcome would have been if it was a single axle trailer. I blew a tire on my dual axle trailer and didn't even realize a tire was shredded.

If you have a cotter pin system, maybe whoever installed it bent it then straightened the pin out before putting it in. Those cotter pins sometimes can be re-bent but why take a chance when they are fairly cheap in cost?

Of all the You Tube videos I have seen on wheel bearing installs, I have only seen one video where the owner installed the cotter pin using military specs. We used that method of installation of cotter pins on all parts on an aircraft that required them. In addition, we also used safety wires on some nuts.

When I opened up the bearings on my boat and travel trailer for the first time, I reinstalled new cotter pins using the military specs.
Yep....Never ever reuse cotter pins.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
Does anyone know if Dexter has eliminated the cotter pin hole as a result of beginning to use these clips that appear to be stamped out of sheet metal?
The sheet metal is used in conjunction witht eh cotter pin. It has a small amount of movement when you move it over the nut and the cotter pin slips between the the castellated portion on both sides, it does not replace the cotter pin.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomyers95 View Post
A couple of weeks ago our way to a campground, I saw a tire in my rearview mirror rolling down the road behind me. Didn't think too much about it until someone pulled up beside me (2 lanes of traffic) pointing to my trailer. I pulled over to find rear wheel gone. Nothing but the spindle, rear race, and back plate with brake parts left. I never felt any sway or bump at all. I have never seen or heard of this happening.
A couple of weeks before, we had just completed a 6150 mile trip out west with no problems. Never have had any kind of brake or wheel problems. I had lubed bearings before long trip with grease gun. Have never removed bearings. Also. I updated tires and rims to G rated tires and heavy duty rims. Only removed lug nuts, replaced rims and torqued lug nuts.

Have any ideas? RV probably has 11000 - 12000 miles on it.
The guy who said the bearing retaining nut was loose was close, but not spot on. The problem was most likely the race for the outer bearing of that wheel was "spinning" in the hub instead of being held in the press fit it was designed to be.

Eventually the much harder race wore the cast iron hub to the point that the entire hub, wheel and tire departed the axle spindle. Im guessing the retaining nut and outer bearing were still there?

I found a spinning race on one of my hubs when I was greasing it last. I had to replace the entire hub and both bearings, or I would have been in your shoes very quickly.

In my opinion that Zerk fitting and grease gun should NEVER be used to lube the wheel bearings. Had you or a mechanic removed the hubs, cleaned and inspected them you would have found that race spinning and prevented what could have been a tragic disaster. Imagine that tire coming off, causing a wreck and someone killed. Who would be liable? You my friend, YOU!

lubing through those zerks causes many problems by over greasing (grease is not consumed in use and should be changed occasionally, NOT just added to) Sooner or later the hub will be over full, blow through the seal and contaminate your brake shoes at the very least.

If it seems like I am preaching to you, I am, but not in an ugly way. Im trying to educate and frighten you from ever using those cursed Zerk fittings ever again. You of all people now know one of the dangers of doing so.

Had that other driver not called your attention to the problem, and you continued, sooner or later that other tire on the same side would blow out because it was over loaded. Then, there you would be, BOTH tires on one One blown out the other completely missing, possibly in the middle of nowhere.

How would you have even gotten it to where it could be repaired? Only at great expense and trouble.

I am VERY glad it worked out and nothing horrid happened. In my opinion you dodged a bullet.

Probably time to have the other three hubs taken off, inspected and re-greased in my opinion.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:39 PM   #25

DouglasReid ... You may not be up to date on the spindles used in the past few years. There is NO hole in the end of the spindle for a cotter pin or solid round pin that is used in the offset hole talked about a few post up. They use the stamped washer I referenced earlier. The washers have been around for better than 5 years as my Montana before my Silverback had them. They have a flat on a folded ear that sits in the flat milled out on your spindle ... there are four or five legs that snap around the points on the spindle nut. Unless you really deform the legs ... these washers work just as well as a cotter pin as they are darned hard to pry off when you are servicing your brakes or bearings. Once you have the spindle nut wrist tight ... the washers are just as adjustable as the castellated points on the older spindle nuts using cotter pins.
So to answer the question about the cotter pin hole ... at least on the EZ lube spindles, there is no hole, just a flat milled in the threaded end for a matching flat washer, the nut, and stamped lock washer combo.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:12 PM   #26
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Long ago I got in the habit of "shaking" my trailer tires. While walking around during a break in driving I just grab the top of the trailer tire and shake by pushing and pulling at the top. Even if loaded heavy a loose bearing assy will allow movement that you will feel as you do this. A normal wheel might have some movement but it will only be enough to JUST FEEL. Maybe 1/16" or less movement at the center of the tread. If it goes "CLUNK-CLUNK" it's time to investigate.

X2 Mike,

Every stop of reasonable mileage I do a walk-around to see what fell off , hold my hand on the tyres (TV & TT) to see if excessively hot, same with the wheel hubs and TT brake drums, and give the wheels a shake.

When we're ready to leave, another walk-around checking lights and to make sure no-one screwed around with anything while we had our break. A quick brake test too as we're moving across the parking lot.

Last Thursday I moved my tandem axle landscaping trailer 60kms, first use in 2 months, after 10kms I checked the load of brush to be sure it was secure, did my tyre and hub check, one hub was twice as hot as the other three; Saturday I pulled all the hubs, the warm one had a pitted inner race, problem fixed.

Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:15 PM   #27
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Yep. There are always going to be people that are mechanically challenged.
Yep!

But then those very same people are probably much better at something else than those that aren't "mechanically challenged".
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Yep!

But then those very same people are probably much better at something else than those that aren't "mechanically challenged".
LOL....they better be better at something else!
Old 11-13-2018, 06:32 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
DouglasReid ... You may not be up to date on the spindles used in the past few years. There is NO hole in the end of the spindle for a cotter pin or solid round pin that is used in the offset hole talked about a few post up. They use the stamped washer I referenced earlier. The washers have been around for better than 5 years as my Montana before my Silverback had them. They have a flat on a folded ear that sits in the flat milled out on your spindle ... there are four or five legs that snap around the points on the spindle nut. Unless you really deform the legs ... these washers work just as well as a cotter pin as they are darned hard to pry off when you are servicing your brakes or bearings. Once you have the spindle nut wrist tight ... the washers are just as adjustable as the castellated points on the older spindle nuts using cotter pins.
So to answer the question about the cotter pin hole ... at least on the EZ lube spindles, there is no hole, just a flat milled in the threaded end for a matching flat washer, the nut, and stamped lock washer combo.
Interesting................I now stand.................Educated,...... Thank You!
Old 11-13-2018, 06:33 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabakami View Post
X2 Mike,

Every stop of reasonable mileage I do a walk-around to see what fell off , hold my hand on the tyres (TV & TT) to see if excessively hot, same with the wheel hubs and TT brake drums, and give the wheels a shake.

When we're ready to leave, another walk-around checking lights and to make sure no-one screwed around with anything while we had our break. A quick brake test too as we're moving across the parking lot.

Last Thursday I moved my tandem axle landscaping trailer 60kms, first use in 2 months, after 10kms I checked the load of brush to be sure it was secure, did my tyre and hub check, one hub was twice as hot as the other three; Saturday I pulled all the hubs, the warm one had a pitted inner race, problem fixed.

Geoff
Good Catch!
Old 11-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
LOL....they better be better at something else!
I hate to burst your bubble...but not everyone is a grease monkey!

Old 11-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #32

Quote:

And I totally agree with you. Some of the EZ Lube threads where people disagree about pulling the hubs every year are those very people. They don't want to pay to have something done right and instead take the easy way out thinking its better because it's simple they can work on it themselves.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #33

Quote:

Just my .02 but if you dont' know how to do it, take it to a tire shop and have them do it for you, correctly. It may save you a disaster!
Old 11-17-2018, 05:39 AM   #34

I pulled my wheels / hubs off the first year (2012) we bought our FR toyhauler. The locking washer was missing on two hubs!!!
There are no cotter pins on EZ Lube axles.
I repack bearings the old way.
It comes down to poorly trained workers at the manufacturer. I don't know if it's Dexter or FR. Doesn't matter until people get killed or injured and the lawyers come out.

2012 FR Stealth 2714 Toyhauler.
2017 Ford F 250, 4x4, Super Cab, 8' bed, 6.2 gas motor.
Various Desert Toys including a Rzr XP Turbo.
ADVtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:36 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Just my .02 but if you dont' know how to do it, take it to a tire shop and have them do it for you, correctly. It may save you a disaster!

You guys totally missed the point of my comment that a lot of us are not grease monkeys...

Then you continue to thump your chests like monkeys by saying we must be lazy and should take our trailers to someone because we don't know how to do it.

DUH!

What the heck do you think most of us do?

That's right...we take it to a shop and pay a grease monkey to do it for us!

It's called free trade...

I just had mine done at an axle shop in Denver last March and made a couple of people's payday!

Sure, there are some that choose the easy way with the EZ Lube hubs...

But don't belittle us just because we can't or don't want to do some of the things that you like to do yourself.

Because I'll bet there are a lot of things we can do that you guys can't!

By the by...

More than once, while getting trailer tires balanced or replaced at a chain tire shop (Discount, Big O, Tire's Plus, and more) I stand there and watch them work as on more than one occasion I've stopped the person working on the tires from hooking up a grease gun to my EZ Lubes.

I often wonder how many of our bearing blowouts may be due to a tire shop employee thinking they are doing us a favor, when in fact they just created a new problem for us a few hundred miles down the road?

Old 11-17-2018, 07:39 AM   #36

Dexter builds the axles...FR just buys them and puts them on.

It is sad that the world has come to this, but it seems that we need to make a check list of things we need to do to our brand new RV's before we take them out to use them.

Of course, that is another topic thread in itself...
Old 11-17-2018, 08:11 AM   #37

Quote:
You guys totally missed the point of my comment that a lot of us are not grease monkeys...

Then you continue to thump your chests like monkeys by saying we must be lazy and should take our trailers to someone because we don't know how to do it.
First, I was not in any way shape or form beating my chest, like a monkey or any other creature. But based on your post and the way you refer to people as animals you do seem to have a mental problem with anyone you consider beneath yourself.

Why would you demean the persons working as mechanics by calling them "grease monkeys"? Do you somehow consider yourself a superior individual because you do not work with your hands?

Quote:
That's right...we take it to a shop and pay a grease monkey to do it for us!
As Ronald Reagan famously told Jimmy Carter during their last debate, "There you go again".

Quote:
Sure, there are some that choose the easy way with the EZ Lube hubs...
As I pointed out in my post, NOT alwasy a good idea and it can have very expensive consequences.

Quote:
But don't belittle us just because we can't or don't want to do some of the things that you like to do yourself.
NEVER did that! I did suggest taking it to someone who knows what they are doing if you don't have the knowledge, skills or inclination to do it yourself.

If you do not wish to be, "belittled", then do not belittle or demean anyone else.

Quote:
Because I'll bet there are a lot of things we can do that you guys can't!
No doubt about that!

Quote:
More than once, while getting trailer tires balanced or replaced at a chain tire shop (Discount, Big O, Tire's Plus, and more) I stand there and watch them work as on more than one occasion I've stopped the person working on the tires from hooking up a grease gun to my EZ Lubes.

I often wonder how many of our bearing blowouts may be due to a tire shop employee thinking they are doing us a favor, when in fact they just created a new problem for us a few hundred miles down the road?
Which is why it is a very good idea to watch them even after specifying that you want them disassembled, cleaned, inspected and re-greased.

Lastly, one of the major reasons I take time out of a rather hectic schedule to do this sort of thing myself is because I will KNOW it is done correctly. I could easily pay someone else to do it, but I prefer to insure the job is done right for my own peace of mind while driving down the road.

PS, kindly note my tone was always civil and devoid of any derogatory or insulting words of any type.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:12 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomyers95 View Post
A couple of weeks ago our way to a campground, I saw a tire in my rearview mirror rolling down the road behind me. Didn't think too much about it until someone pulled up beside me (2 lanes of traffic) pointing to my trailer. I pulled over to find rear wheel gone. Nothing but the spindle, rear race, and back plate with brake parts left. I never felt any sway or bump at all. I have never seen or heard of this happening.
A couple of weeks before, we had just completed a 6150 mile trip out west with no problems. Never have had any kind of brake or wheel problems. I had lubed bearings before long trip with grease gun. Have never removed bearings. Also. I updated tires and rims to G rated tires and heavy duty rims. Only removed lug nuts, replaced rims and torqued lug nuts.

Have any ideas? RV probably has 11000 - 12000 miles on it.
bad deal there . did you ever bother to jack up the trailer and feel if you have any movement in the wheel ?
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:21 AM   #39
I'm Lost

Quote:

It is sad that the world has come to this, but it seems that we need to make a check list of things we need to do to our brand new RV's before we take them out to use them.

Good point John.

Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:32 PM   #40
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
All, and I mean every last one of the guys I worked with on Gasoline Alley wore the title of “Grease Monkey” with pride. From the ‘pits’ at Manzanita, Ascot, Knoxville, and many others, it was a title of honor. We knew who we were, and are still proud of it. Political correctness aside, there are some titles worth wearing-and keeping.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire