Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2022, 07:15 PM   #1

Miss matched load range tires

My wife and I had a 20 Vibe it was our first TT and it was ok it was owned by forest river. Going down I 95 we had a blow out at 60mph. Major damage to the wheel, brake line and ripped the awning off. The TT data plate called for load range D tires come to find out the manufacture put load range C tires on the TT Which was the primary cause of the blow out. We now have Coachmen which is owned by forest river, as I’m checking my tires, three of them have the psi and load range info facing out so you can easily see it and the fourth is facing in with the Tinny info facing out and sure enough that tire is a load range C. WT! Can that do a simple thing like put a matching set of the correct tires on. I called them and left a message three times and still no response form coachmen or their parent company Forest river anyone have the same problem or have you not checked to ensure the right tires are on your trailer from the manufacturer?
Hammer5311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 07:36 PM   #2
Retired Old Fart

If I understand your post correctly, you bought a 20 Vibe direct from Forest River and it has under rated tires on it from the factory. You experienced a blowout and damage from the under rated tires.

If this is correct.... (I did not know FR sold directly)

File a complaint with the NHTSA (National Highway Transportation Safety Administration). That will do 2 things. One, it will force Forest River to acknowledge and address your complaint; Two, it will get the NHTSA looking into how many other trailers are also riding on under rated tires from the factory and is a recall needed. Here is a link to start the complaint process online:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 07:59 PM   #3

I'm thinking he meant that Vibe and Coachman are both Forrest River companies / products.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:19 PM   #4
Commercial Member

What dward51 said.
After filing the complaints with NHTSA you will receive a complaint number. I would advise the dealer that sold you the RV that you expect them to replace the tires with the correct LR. IMO FR owes you the cost or any repairs. If they give you grief you can remind them that selling a vehicle with tires that do not match the Certification sticker is against the law.

The NHTSA complaints will need the VIN and the DOT serial from each tire.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 08:26 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer5311 View Post
My wife and I had a 20 Vibe it was our first TT and it was ok it was owned by forest river. Going down I 95 we had a blow out at 60mph. Major damage to the wheel, brake line and ripped the awning off. The TT data plate called for load range D tires come to find out the manufacture put load range C tires on the TT Which was the primary cause of the blow out. We now have Coachmen which is owned by forest river, as I’m checking my tires, three of them have the psi and load range info facing out so you can easily see it and the fourth is facing in with the Tinny info facing out and sure enough that tire is a load range C. WT! Can that do a simple thing like put a matching set of the correct tires on. I called them and left a message three times and still no response form coachmen or their parent company Forest river anyone have the same problem or have you not checked to ensure the right tires are on your trailer from the manufacturer?
Tire pressure and load range are usually molded on both sides of a tire. Can you post pics of all four tires sidewalls with the entire tire in the pic? I am interested as a tire dealer. Thanks

Just a heads up on another matter in case you may encounter it. We have instances on this forum where a transporter replaced a tire that was damaged during transport from the manufacturer to the dealer.

But I would like to see these pics first and can proceed from there.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 04:25 AM   #6

Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Tire pressure and load range are usually molded on both sides of a tire. Can you post pics of all four tires sidewalls with the entire tire in the pic? I am interested as a tire dealer. Thanks

Just a heads up on another matter in case you may encounter it. We have instances on this forum where a transporter replaced a tire that was damaged during transport from the manufacturer to the dealer.

We purchased both the TT’s from a dealer the and both were new from the manufacture. The vibe both tires were under rated. Moving ahead seven years new coachmen from the dealer one of the four is under raded (load range C). Yes the psi and load range is on both sides like mentioned the three tires that are load range D the larger and easier to see and read info is facing to the outside and the one tire with under rated tire the very small info is facing out. This the second TT this has happened to me on.
Hammer5311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 08:40 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
We purchased both the TT’s from a dealer the and both were new from the manufacture. The vibe both tires were under rated. Moving ahead seven years new coachmen from the dealer one of the four is under raded (load range C). Yes the psi and load range is on both sides like mentioned the three tires that are load range D the larger and easier to see and read info is facing to the outside and the one tire with under rated tire the very small info is facing out. This the second TT this has happened to me on.
Are all four tires the same brand and model of tire? Pics would help tremendously.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:28 AM   #8

Help me understand, please. The older trailer has been sold so that's not a current concern.

You now have a Coachmen. Is this a new rig (year, make and model please)?
You can see the codes on 3 of the tires and they are load range D. One is load range C which makes it a mismatched tire.

They don't ship them from the factory with mismatched tires (I hope), so something happened either in shipping or at the dealer where the tire was replaced.

You should probably take this up with the dealer that sold you the rig. All your tires should be the same.
Old 09-16-2022, 10:25 AM   #9

I've never seen a tire with inflation information stamped on only one side.

As others have suggested, I suspect that the odd tire was a replacement that was done after the trailer left the factory.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 11:45 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I've never seen a tire with inflation information stamped on only one side.

As others have suggested, I suspect that the odd tire was a replacement that was done after the trailer left the factory.
The OP did acknowledge that the load and inflation pressure is actually molded on both sidewalls, but it's not the same size font as the other three. This is why I asked if all four tires are even the same make/model.

There are an awful lot of unknowns here, and the OP (nor us) have any factual idea if the RV was shipped with mismatched tires from the factory....or if the transporter and/or dealer did some swapping/replacing after the fact. This is what is going to be hard to impress on FR Inc, that the problem started at the factory, when it may not have.

If all four tires are of the same make/model but just different ply ratings, then I would be more inclined to think it could be human error at the factory or from where FR buys their tires/rims (Lionshead is one place) and one oddball that looked like the other 3 was installed.

However if the oddball is not the same brand/make/model....then I would tend to think it was done after the fact.

This does bring up an interesting scenario, and one that maybe needs to be suggested for looking at during a PDI....which the OP is stating to watch for when purchasing. It was something that really needed to be caught at the time of purchase and not a few years after the fact. Maybe their woes will help others in the future who read this thread.

Old 09-16-2022, 12:28 PM   #11

I agree, while I looked at the tires on the lot for obvious damage, I did not inspect the markings to make sure they were the same as called for on the placard on the trailer.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 01:29 PM   #12

Bottom line is it should have never left the dealer lot with mismatched tires regardless of when it happened. So that means neither the dealer nor the OP checked them, although I admit checking the tire sizes, LR, and brand is not something most of us would think about on a new RV or automobile unless one tire is substantially different from the others.
And I agree, getting FR or the dealer to even admit that they might be responsible is not likely to happen.
I did catch a dealer that switched tires and rims on a fifth wheel after I bought the RV but before I picked it up. So now I always take pictures but I doubt the general pics would show enough detail to be able to read the tire information.
Another thing to add to my list
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 02:25 PM   #13
Fla5er

When we bought our '17 Cardinal, I looked to see if the tires were made in China. Stamped on the sidewall was 'Goodyear', so I assumed that they were U.S. made. Not so: they were E load range made in China under the Goodyear name! After a couple of years we replaced all 4 with Goodyear Endurance tires, load range E. They did fine, but when we wore them out we went to G load range tires. Much better handling and slightly more stable.
Lesson here is to check the tires closely for date made, proper load range, preferred manufacturer and country where made.
FlaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 06:22 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

Yes it is possible for a tire to be replaced between factory and dealer, but it is the dealer's responsibility to fix that.

Wondering if the Op has filed the complaints (1 per tire) with NHTSA.

Information on Load Range etc is only required to be 1/4" but on both sides. If the markings are not on both sides the tire is non compliant and should be reported as that would definitely trigger a RECALL.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 06:26 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Yes it is possible for a tire to be replaced between factory and dealer, but it is the dealer's responsibility to fix that.

Wondering if the Op has filed the complaints (1 per tire) with NHTSA.

Information on Load Range etc is only required to be 1/4" but on both sides. If the markings are not on both sides the tire is non compliant and should be reported as that would definitely trigger a RECALL.

The OP did come back and confirm the information is on both sidewalls of all 4 tires.

Old 09-17-2022, 04:45 PM   #16

The vehicle manufacturer should have the serial numbers of the OE tries as shipped from the factory.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/574.10
Old 09-17-2022, 09:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
The vehicle manufacturer should have the serial numbers of the OE tries as shipped from the factory.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/574.10
When did they start putting serial numbers on tires?

There are DOT numbers but those numbers will be the same for all tires of that size manufactured in the same year and week.

By definition serial numbers are sequential and unique.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 11:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
When did they start putting serial numbers on tires?

There are DOT numbers but those numbers will be the same for all tires of that size manufactured in the same year and week.

By definition serial numbers are sequential and unique.
Sorry, I should have used TIN instead of "serial number". The form provided below is more explanatory. The reference provided in my original post explains the vehicle manufacturer's responsibility. If they followed the government instructions they have a listing of tire TINs for all vehicles as they leave the factory.

https://register.cimstireregistration.com/?id=general
Old 09-22-2022, 06:31 PM   #19

Quote:
What brand tires are they? If they are made in China, dump all 4 and invest in a decent tire (Goodyear Endurance or some other USA made tire).

Be vigilant in checking air pressure before EVERY drive and invest in a TPMS.
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 07:25 PM   #20

There are numerous complaints on this forum about Castle Rock China Bombs, but just because a tire is made in China doesn't mean it is a problem. I bought Taskmaster tires for all 3 of my trailers 6 years ago, and they have been flawless. The trick is they are rated for Load Range D instead of C, and rated for 81 mph. When you replace tires, it is a great idea to upgrade the load range, and check the date and speed rating.

Tags
tire, tires