Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2021, 08:59 AM   #1

Moving Rv every 3 months to protect tires after sitting.

I know this is an old subject and I’ve looked at a lot of peoples comments and tire company recommendations and information , but what I would like to know is real world information. Our rv sits from November 1st to May first every year. Do any of you really ever move your RV to protect the tires? I have never done it and I’ve never had a problem that I know of. I am wondering if anybody has really ever had a flat spot or problem or blowout with their tires after sitting for a winter of not being used. A lot of people say with modern tires we do not need to worry about it but if you research it, the tire companies are still saying that you should move your RV every 3 months. So anyways does ANYBODY really do this. Thanks very much for your input.

Oh I forgot to say I park my tires on 1 inch thick wood planks on asphalt and I do keep my tires covered and aired up to 100psi max while sitting.
quick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:03 AM   #2

I have left a motorhome or boat trailer sitting for 6 months without moving many times. I’ve never had any problems with tires related to the long term sitting. No matter what anyone else might say about it, until I have some kind of issue with it, it’s not on my worry list.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:04 AM   #3

I've never done this and mine stays stored the same time frame a you. Tires call for 50 PSI. When I store the trailer I air up the tires to 55 PSI and park it.

I have the OEM Carstar tires on my trailer (2012) and there are no visual signs of weathering ect. and never had a flat spot.

FWIW- I'm swapping out my tires this spring as I don't want to push my luck.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:14 AM   #4

I have the 09 23SS and it sits from November until April. Since I cover it, no movement whatsoever. Never been an issue.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:35 AM   #5

This is one of those things that if it makes you feel better, do it. But it doesn't really accomplish anything else.
We have HD farm trailers and equipment that are only used once a year. The rest of the time they never move. The tires don't care
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:13 AM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Put my comments right alongside everyone else here so far.

Prepare for stowing with maximum tire pressure, covered and on clean hard surface.

Come on spring.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
This is one of those things that if it makes you feel better, do it. But it doesn't really accomplish anything else.
We have HD farm trailers and equipment that are only used once a year. The rest of the time they never move. The tires don't care
This suggested practice of moving every 3 months belongs in the instruction manual that recommends annual air changes in tires

Once the tire warms up any flat spot that might have formed disappears.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:28 PM   #8

I bet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I bet they are neither covered nor on hard surfaces, either.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
I bet they are neither covered nor on hard surfaces, either.
You got it. Some are even irrigated regularly
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:51 PM   #10

Letting Tires Sit

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick83 View Post
I know this is an old subject and I’ve looked at a lot of peoples comments and tire company recommendations and information , but what I would like to know is real world information. Our rv sits from November 1st to May first every year. Do any of you really ever move your RV to protect the tires? I have never done it and I’ve never had a problem that I know of. I am wondering if anybody has really ever had a flat spot or problem or blowout with their tires after sitting for a winter of not being used. A lot of people say with modern tires we do not need to worry about it but if you research it, the tire companies are still saying that you should move your RV every 3 months. So anyways does ANYBODY really do this. Thanks very much for your input.

Oh I forgot to say I park my tires on 1 inch thick wood planks on asphalt and I do keep my tires covered and aired up to 100psi max while sitting.
I've read that letting tires sit stationary for long periods is bad due to flat-spotting and lack of circulation of oils in the rubber.

Here's a link on it. It applies more to storage of tires off the vehicle and I can't vouch for the accuracy of this but it's interesting. Don't miss the last paragraph on the circulating the oils in the rubber.

https://www.utires.com/articles/how-...t-if-not-used/
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick83 View Post

I'm assuming when you use the word rv you might be using it to refer to a motorhome . If it's not what I'm about to say doesn't apply .

Due to covid this year we had to stay home and winterize our mh . Since we'd never done this I did some online research on what to do and not do. One of don't was moving the unit while in storage.The reason given is running the engine for short periods of time is the contaminents produced getting into engine oil . The other reason is the possiblity of rotting the exhaust . Running the engine produces moisture and if the exhaust system doesn't get hot enough it doesn't have a chance of " burning out " that moisture .
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:49 PM   #12

Love to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
I've read that letting tires sit stationary for long periods is bad due to flat-spotting and lack of circulation of oils in the rubber.

Here's a link on it. It applies more to storage of tires off the vehicle and I can't vouch for the accuracy of this but it's interesting. Don't miss the last paragraph on the circulating the oils in the rubber.

https://www.utires.com/articles/how-...t-if-not-used/
Love to hear what Tireman9 or Titan Mike have to say about this.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:53 PM   #13

Upper Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomore9-5 View Post
Due to covid this year we had to stay home and winterize our mh . Since we'd never done this I did some online research on what to do and not do. One of don't was moving the unit while in storage.The reason given is running the engine for short periods of time is the contaminents produced getting into engine oil . The other reason is the possiblity of rotting the exhaust . Running the engine produces moisture and if the exhaust system doesn't get hot enough it doesn't have a chance of " burning out " that moisture .
Those of us who grew up in the Upper Midwest are well-acquainted with this. In my teens and early twenties I changed mufflers and tailpipes every 2-3 years. I still cringe when I see someone fire up the car to go a mile to 7-11 when it's frosty.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:38 PM   #14

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
We have Michelin tires on our motorhome and they recommend when storing for a long time on concrete to put a barrier between the tire and the concrete surface. We use horse stall mats cut to size, which are thick rubber approximately 3/4” thick and park our motorhome on these mats.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:00 PM   #15

Quote:

I've heard about this as well and maybe why there's a common belief that rv ( especially motorhome tires) have an average life of about 6 years no matter the mileage on them. With the tires sitting at a campground etc for lengthy periods there's no circulation of the oils like there would be driving your car throughout the year

Article you linked might also explain why you see some newer model cars with tires filled with nitrogen as opposed to standard air
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:04 PM   #16

I have had tires on my 5ver separate from sitting on concrete in my pole barn for extended periods of time and flat spotting. I got these things called tralierlegs that you put under your axles and pull up on them. I haven't had a tire issue in about 2.5 years. The tires are about an inch off the ground and as a side benefit it makes the 5ver real stable.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
We have Michelin tires on our motorhome and they recommend when storing for a long time on concrete to put a barrier between the tire and the concrete surface. We use horse stall mats cut to size, which are thick rubber approximately 3/4” thick and park our motorhome on these mats.
Stall mats or barn mats are also great for the bed of a truck, cheap too.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/barn%20mats?
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:46 PM   #18

Quote:
No you don't. Thread might get closed when elaborating on how much of this is pure horse- ****.

Flat spoting of tires is mostly a bygone problem from early days of nylon in tires. Back then if a tire sat overnight, and you drove to quick to soon, the rearview mirror wouldn't stay in place.

As for the "oils", waxes, plasticizers, that are in tires, letting a vehicle sit for 6 months at a time isn't all that big a deal. A year or two? Maybe.

Want to get the most out of RV tires?

Go camping more often and worry less. Buy good tires and stop worrying.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:27 PM   #19
Dahagen

I spend 6 months in a motorhome in Arizona on cement without a problem. For 10 years.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:31 PM   #20

Don’t think you can go wrong with good inflation, getting off concrete or ground, out of the sun, and occasional tire protectant. All without moving.
Foothills is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires