Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2021, 04:17 PM   #1

Multi Part Question

Hi all. I currently have Castle Rock ST205 75/R15 tires on my trailer. We have been doing research on new tires. I was talking to a friend of mine and he said that he always goes to a National Chain (who happens to have a store in my town.) He said that they sell travel trailer tires. I went to them today. My wife and I had did research on Carlisle brand tires. The person at the tire store said that they used to stock them, but quit because of separation issues. He recommended Heartland or Goodyear. I have never heard of Castle Rock, Carlisle, Heartland or Goodyear. The store does NOT does wheel bearings or brakes. I recently made an appointment and waited 6 weeks to have my water heater looked at. The propane portion worked fine, the electric portion never heated up. When I took it in for the service appointment, they called me back inside an hour...evidently the water heater was never plugged in!!!
Here is the question: I am going to get rid of the Castle Rock Tires. Does anyone recommend Carlisle, Heartland or Goodyear?
Second part of the question. I would like to have the wheel bearings repacked and the brakes looked at. What are the advantages of taking it to a RV dealer? A wheel bearing is a wheel bearing...??? Can I take it to a local shop..TIA for all help, advice and support...regards.
welfarecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 04:27 PM   #2
D W

As far as tires go, a lot of folks are opting for Goodyear Endurance trailer tires. The problem is that Goodyear is currently not producing any. Reports are that they will resume production in February 2022. As such, there is currently a shortage of those tires. You may have to do a search to find on-hand quantities.

Wheel bearings? Most owners service their own wheel bearings. If you're not capable of doing them yourself, you might want to check around for a shop that services trailers in general. Unless you are confident of an RV dealership I would hesitate to take it to them.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 04:27 PM   #3
Site Team

I have Goodyear's so that's what I recommend. Goodyear Endurance seems to be the go to tires lately.

There is no advantage to taking the RV to an rv dealer to have the bearings and brakes serviced. I do mine myself, but understand that everyone doesn't wish to DIY, so I'd recommend a local utility trailer place or good auto service place that regularly does trailers.
Old 11-19-2021, 05:35 PM   #4

I replaced my CR tires with Goodyear Endurance, same size you listed. From recent reading, about the only place you can get them is Discount Tire. Seems GY temporarily suspended manufacturing them.

I'll second any utility trailer place to get the bearings done, even a full service auto shop might do the work. Try to get Timken bearings.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:12 PM   #5
REL

Replaced my Castle Rocks with MAXXIS 8808s. I take my trailer to a shop that works on big rigs for annual Pa State mandated inspection. They hand packed my bearings and inspect them annually.
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfarecop View Post
I have never heard of Castle Rock, Carlisle, Heartland or Goodyear.
I have to ask....have you really never heard of Goodyear tires?
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:03 AM   #7

Thanks for all advice. Already made an appointment at the tire shop
welfarecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:41 AM   #8

Quote:
I currently have Castle Rock ST205 75/R15 tires on my trailer.

There are numerous horror stories about these garbage china bomb tires. There are zero horror stories on Goodyear Endurance tires. The new Hankook Vantage line are good as well. I upgraded the size and load range from 205/75s to 225/75s on one of my trailers. Make sure you do the same when you replace them.
krazyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
question