Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2016, 03:28 PM   #1

Need help lci auto level

My folks have a XLR with the lci auto level system. Today when leaving the camp ground theyou would not retract. Finally was able to get them up. Now back at storage and they won't go down, when going into auto level it starts and then says low voltage. Battery monitor shows 13 volts.... any ideas
KIPKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:24 AM   #2

Will jacks operate properly when XLR is connected to shore power?
igor2brvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:02 AM   #3
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPKERS View Post
My folks have a XLR with the lci auto level system. Today when leaving the camp ground theyou would not retract. Finally was able to get them up. Now back at storage and they won't go down, when going into auto level it starts and then says low voltage. Battery monitor shows 13 volts.... any ideas
I have the LCI Ground Control 3.0 and just this week ran into what I think was your same problem. I have a AGM battery that I bought this year and the last time I was at the storage lot a week ago, the panel showed fully charged. Yet when I went to get the trailer for the trip I'm on, the LCI was showing error and wouldn't raise the legs. I checked the panel and it said Weak battery.

The solution was a 2 parts. First, luckily I have a little 40watt solar that's not much good for anything but battery tending. I hooked it up and waited about 15 minutes and apparently that was enough to get the LCI to raise the front legs. Although it wasn't smooth. I had to press the Front button and the legs would go up a smidgen. Then press again, and again and finally they made it up and I hooked and left on the trip.

By the time we got to our destination 8 hours later, the battery was fully charged and I expected the LCI to work as normal. It was better than before but still not normal. I could raise and lower the front legs but it kept beeping showing an error on the right rear jack.

I went ahead and unhooked the trailer then I followed these LCI instructions to clear the errors.

1. Manually extend so that each leg is down at least 6 inches.
2. Press and hold the Retract button until you see 'Auto Retract All'
3. Let the Auto Retract complete it's cycle, this could take 3 or 4 minutes so be patient.
4. After that completes, press Auto Level and the trailer will complete and errors should be cleared.

I still don't know why my battery was down, but I'll with that separately.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:45 AM   #4

I also had this problem.
-One leg would retract and the other stayed in place.
-I went into manual mode, this worked.
-I looked behind the control panel a saw a 4"x4" module with a blinking led
-On mine the led flashing/code was a battery issue. At the time this seemed odd.
-Also when I called Lippert the first thing she asked was the state of my batteries.
-I bring my batteries home every winter. This winter I fully charged them before putting them in the trailer.
-The Lippert workd fine this spring and no flashing led's.
-I also have installed A battery minder, Noco.

John.
Rupkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:56 AM   #5

Is this battery not tied into the shore power?
KIPKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPKERS View Post
Is this battery not tied into the shore power?
The converter to the best of my knowledge does two things.
-converts 110v to 12v
-charges or actually maintains charge in batteries. I've read it gives 3 to 5 amps of charging power. There are good and Not so good converters.

Do a "battery" search on this forum and a Google search.
Lots to learn on batteries.
Batteries basically are not a hook'em up and forget about 'em item.

When I traded in my 24rl wildcat of 6 years the batteries were dry. (In the trailer and forgotten)
The converter was doing all the work.

John
Rupkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
I went ahead and unhooked the trailer then I followed these LCI instructions to clear the errors.

1. Manually extend so that each leg is down at least 6 inches.
2. Press and hold the Retract button until you see 'Auto Retract All'
3. Let the Auto Retract complete it's cycle, this could take 3 or 4 minutes so be patient.
4. After that completes, press Auto Level and the trailer will complete and errors should be cleared.

I still don't know why my battery was down, but I'll with that separately.
X2 ~~~ had this twice. Once I just attached the truck/5er connection and it worked fine. The other time the above was required.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:22 PM   #8

I don't have a 5'er nor an auto leveling system, although I have often wished I had electric powered stabilizers. But, I have worked at a factory that made both the old standard lead/acid batteries and AGM batteries. The only difference between the old style lead/acid and AGM batteries is that the AGM has absorbent material within the plates to hold the liquid acid so that the acid is somewhat not liquid anymore. Given that, we shipped numerous batteries out to customers including new auto plants, Wally-World, Pep Boys, etc. only to have some batteries within a pallet sent back for testing "dead". Upon arrival back to the plant they would be tested and sure enough they showed less than 10 volts. A fresh battery as shipped should show 14 volts. We would send them through a machine that would turn the battery upside down, squirt water into the battery while upside down to remove any residual acid. Then they would be filled, charged and would test 14 volts again. Then we would put them on a test stand which would simulate a large, deep draw on the battery and it would go to less than 10 volts and usually below 3 volts. No real explanation for this, just scrap that battery. So what I am saying is that you can buy a brand new battery from a source, have it tested and it will show 12-14 volts until first load is put on it. Then is may show less than 10 volts. You can test your batteries all you want with some type of volt meter, but once a load/draw is put on it then it crashes. One good way to test a battery under load is to obtain two old style auto headlights, wire them in series and put a volt meter between positive lead of the lights and the (+) terminal of the battery. IF you do this and the meter shows a good voltage, say 10 or over, and maintains this for maybe three minutes then the battery should be in good shape.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:13 PM   #9

Need help lci auto level

I had issues last year with my LCI auto levelling and the dealer ordered some new breakers. Think they were weak. Might be worth while checking into.
Joe O is offline   Reply With Quote