Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2020, 03:03 PM   #1

Need repair advice after blowout

Well I've seen them on the side of the roads and read all the stories on the forums and just hoped it never happened to me but unfortunately we got to experience our first blowout. Thankfully no one was hurt and it didn't ruin our trip since we had just left the house when it happened. I was able to get the tire changed and actually headed to Discount Tire to buy a new one and ended up buying four since another one was showing some signs of splitting.

My question to the group is do you have any ideas on how to fix the damage to my trailer. Hopefully the picture is good enough to see but basically there is a thin layer under the trailer and that is what got damaged so now I have some wood exposed. Not enough damage to file a claim but just curious on some advice to patch this up. I'm not even sure what the material is or where I would even buy it to replace what is missing. Appreciate any you can give me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	231553  
LJS1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:12 PM   #2

If it was me, I would cut off all the loose fabric and buy a can of spray bed liner and use it...imo
bwag1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:16 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Exactly what I was going to suggest.
There’s no strength in what was ruined, it’s purpose is to keep moisture out from soaking into the plywood.

And....if you’ve got some left over from the damaged side, I’d spray the rest under the other side. Why not?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:55 PM   #4

Flex-Mend makes the tarp like material and tape to repair. I'm not sure how well it would stick as a patch in that area. Looks like you got off easy. How old were the tires?
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:01 PM   #5

Use tin snips to cut a piece of galvanized sheet metal to fit the damaged area.
Attach with outdoor wood screws and seal with Dicor.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:12 PM   #6

14 ga. sheetmetal
nailit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailit View Post
14 ga. sheetmetal
Considering that 18 ga was widely used for body panels on cars, 14 ga might be overkill. Why add the weight. Just need something to stop the flapping rubber from digging in and ripping.

14 ga weighs 3.125 lbs per sq ft.

18 ga weighs only 2 lbs per sq ft.

Of course better tires, proper inflation, and regular inspections, will probably make the use of armor plate unnecessary.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 01:32 PM   #8
Just A Member

I used some roofing valley metal from Home Depot. Cut away the remaining fabric, cut the sheet metal to fit. I used lots of Liquid Nails and then screws and then more Liquid Nails around the edges to seal everything up. It is still in place and still working after several years. Just make sure you seal the edges good as you don't want any moisture to get to that wood. Good luck!
Old 06-16-2020, 01:45 PM   #9
Don't Camp Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwag1961 View Post
If it was me, I would cut off all the loose fabric and buy a can of spray bed liner and use it...imo
X3

DSMURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 01:49 PM   #10

Hard to tell from the photo but if the fender skirt is damaged, as is common with blown tires, this place sells and custom makes skirts for virtually every trailer. I've replaced 2 with Icon's and they fit perfectly and were easy to install.
icondirect.com .
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 02:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwag1961 View Post
WalMart carries Rustoleum bedliner coating in spray cans as-well-as Rustoleum undercoat. Both are displayed together in the automotive section. For this application, I would prefer the undercoat. When we first got our Sunseeker 2500TS, I undercoated the entire under body, less the high heat areas, with Rustoleum undercoat which remains pliable and the hitch with bedliner paint. Both have held up well.

As other suggested, a metal sheet cut to fit would work. I would opt for aluminum for durability and resistance to rust. A pattern can be made using cardboard or poster board paper pushed into the damaged area to give an outline of the cut I would also prefer using a liberal amount of construction adhesive to hold it in place and seal the plywood from the elements. Unless using very short screws, something else could be damaged. I would finish sealing the repair with undercoat.

The damage is very minimal considering. For the future, it would be suggested to jack the TT to allow tire rotation and check all surfaces, including the rims. I have done this for years and it has paid off. At least 3 times, a tire would have failed and was caught before it did. The failures were bubbles in the inside sidewall and the start of tread separation. When doing this adventure, make certain that the TT is chocked and it is safe to get under far enough to inspect, both from rolling or crushing.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS1211 View Post
Well I've seen them on the side of the roads and read all the stories on the forums and just hoped it never happened to me but unfortunately we got to experience our first blowout. Thankfully no one was hurt and it didn't ruin our trip since we had just left the house when it happened. I was able to get the tire changed and actually headed to Discount Tire to buy a new one and ended up buying four since another one was showing some signs of splitting.

My question to the group is do you have any ideas on how to fix the damage to my trailer. Hopefully the picture is good enough to see but basically there is a thin layer under the trailer and that is what got damaged so now I have some wood exposed. Not enough damage to file a claim but just curious on some advice to patch this up. I'm not even sure what the material is or where I would even buy it to replace what is missing. Appreciate any you can give me.

I had the same problem cut the material with a box cutter. Then I spray painted with that rubber stuff. But carefully look for other damage like slide track or plastic fender
MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair