Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2023, 10:01 PM   #1

New Tires

I have been looking for good tires for my Fifth wheel we need ST/235/85/R16 14ply. I am thinking about the Hercules H 901. Has anybody have or had used these tires:? If so are they good tires. Then I looked at the Gladiator Tires not much reviews?
CampinGpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:57 PM   #2

Do you actually know what your trailer weighs? And your axles? That is a really heavy bulit ply rating that will ride rough. From the picture near your handle, may be way over for your application. You need to start with actual weights, ready to roll and loaded as though you were leaving for a normal trip, then determine how much tire weight rating you need. The new Rockwoods come with made in the US Goodyears, 10 ply in your size, rated for 87 (!) mph. We are right at our GVW and GAWR, and I am able to run 65 psi instead of the 80 on the sidewall. This allows me several hundred pounds of reserve capacity and a smoother ride. 65 was determined from Goodyear website for load and inflation specific to that tire.

Nobody in the Rockwood forum is complaining about tires lately...
22 Cedar Creek Champagne 38EKS
Our 14th! RV
2019 Denali dually Duramax BW companion, timbrens
darndave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by darndave View Post
Do you actually know what your trailer weighs? And your axles? That is a really heavy bulit ply rating that will ride rough. From the picture near your handle, may be way over for your application. You need to start with actual weights, ready to roll and loaded as though you were leaving for a normal trip, then determine how much tire weight rating you need. The new Rockwoods come with made in the US Goodyears, 10 ply in your size, rated for 87 (!) mph. We are right at our GVW and GAWR, and I am able to run 65 psi instead of the 80 on the sidewall. This allows me several hundred pounds of reserve capacity and a smoother ride. 65 was determined from Goodyear website for load and inflation specific to that tire.

Yes I do know the weight of the trailer it's $12,670 lb.UVW. the gross weight fully loaded is 16,407 lb of course I do not carry it fully loaded and no water and the ST. are the tire that came on the rig. And thank you for your reply
Old 02-01-2023, 08:34 AM   #4

i have the hercules h901 on our 5th wheel. we put them on a year and a half ago. so far no problems. they do seem to be heavy duty tires. they replaced goodyear G614 tires. the hercules have a higher rated capacity than the goodyear in the same size.

there are also similar tires made by sailun, westlake, and some others.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by darndave View Post

ST 14 ply
Old 02-01-2023, 08:58 AM   #6

I finally got rid of my China bombs last year. Was going to get the Goodyears, but my tire dealer recommended MAXXIS tires. I hadn't heard of them, but they are a major manufacturer. Anyway, what a difference in the ride. Very smooth and noiseless. Don't really know how else to describe them, but they're really nice. Have not seen anything about them in the forum, though. From what I just read here, I guess Rockwood is using decent tires nowadays.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
i have the hercules h901 on our 5th wheel. we put them on a year and a half ago. so far no problems. they do seem to be heavy duty tires. they replaced goodyear G614 tires. the hercules have a higher rated capacity than the goodyear in the same size.

there are also similar tires made by sailun, westlake, and some others.
Hercules is the one that i decided I would go with but someone told me about the gladiator so I was looking but did not see but one and the review that didn't say to much. That I could see. I do have westlake and they have been very good from the day we purchased the fifth wheel. That was what I was going to put back on but now it looks like the westlake for some reason dose not seem to be as good as they were I read that here on the forum not to long ago. Went to a RV show a couple weeks ago was looking at a new River Ranch and opened one of the compartments and there was a new westlake tire blowout and rim
Old 02-02-2023, 08:22 AM   #8
Retired Army MSG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinGpa View Post
Hercules is the one that i decided I would go with but someone told me about the gladiator so I was looking but did not see but one and the review that didn't say to much. That I could see. I do have westlake and they have been very good from the day we purchased the fifth wheel. That was what I was going to put back on but now it looks like the westlake for some reason dose not seem to be as good as they were I read that here on the forum not to long ago. Went to a RV show a couple weeks ago was looking at a new River Ranch and opened one of the compartments and there was a new westlake tire blowout and rim
Had the Hercules H901 installed on our 5vr in October 2022. Have really liked the way they have tracked and going from the E rated China Bombs that came on the rig, there is a night and day difference. A lot less bouncing as we roll down the highway, and not rocking back and forth either.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires