Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2018, 10:13 PM   #21

Glad to hear all the positive on Goodyear Endurance just put 4 on and have yet road tested it.
What about pressure? On install I set them at 65psi the recommended psi on trailer sticker and based on chart should still give more load capacity than original tires.
RnRushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:41 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnRushin View Post
Glad to hear all the positive on Goodyear Endurance just put 4 on and have yet road tested it.
What about pressure? On install I set them at 65psi the recommended psi on trailer sticker and based on chart should still give more load capacity than original tires.
You should run them at the maximum pressure as stated on the sidewall of the tire.

Some people are of the mistaken opinion that keeping the pressure down is being "easy" on the tires and will help them last longer. That idea is exactly incorrect. The maximum pressure keeps the tire more rigid which is ultimately easier on the tire and it will last its longest as well as carry the heaviest load when inflated to the max.

Listen to the tire manufacturer, NOT the maker of your camper.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:59 AM   #23

Hi,

Just about 5,000 miles on my Endurances, and very satisfied. The interstates between Illinois and Quartzsite were a pretty good recent test...

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:03 AM   #24
llr

Yes, listen to the tire manufacturer. Check the load/pressure chart and use that.
TV 2024 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload - sold 4/24
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:21 AM   #25

Quote:
You should run them at the maximum pressure as stated on the sidewall of the tire.

Some people are of the mistaken opinion that keeping the pressure down is being "easy" on the tires and will help them last longer.
I read this and I wonder to my self if this is always 100% correct advice for every instance. I like this statement better...
Quote:
Check the load/pressure chart and use that.
I myself purchased Endurance last May, about 4,000 miles ago. I also went from recommended load range C tires (per trailer sticker) to load range D at the same size tire.

Inflation is recommended to be 65# for D range as opposed to 50# for C range. I have kept mine inflated COLD at 55-56 PSI, as I think with the smaller load on the tires it might minimize bounce.

I just ran back on a 12 hour drive at about 65 MPH average with my TST 507 RV TPMS closely monitored. Pressures maxed out at about 65-67 PSI for all 4 tires, and temp stayed within about +10 degrees of ambient ( 77 to 62 degrees) as I drove from about 11 AM to 11 PM north from FL to KY on a sunny day this past week.

When I travel in the warmer months, I will also again monitor the tire temps and see if they are getting too hot from sidewall flexing.

BTW... this is the first that I used the new color monitor of the TST series as I upgraded last fall. I DO LIKE the new easier to read monitor and was surprised that after charging the monitor for only about 30 minutes that the monitor would last easily 8 or more hours being un-hooked from the charging cable. I also noted that it took about 30 minutes for the monitor to show NO READING for PSI after dropping the trailer and driving away. I currently have about 18 months on tire sensors on the second set of batteries.

I wrote up a TIP on battery changing procedure for those not yet having done it here http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nt-126789.html

Kudos to TST for a fine product.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:26 AM   #26

I copied this straight from the Goodyear website. Of course this is based on the assumption that Goodyear knows their tires.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf rv_inflation.pdf (506.1 KB, 67 views)
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:44 AM   #27

Quote:
I copied this straight from the Goodyear website. Of course this is based on the assumption that Goodyear knows their tires.
If I used this chart then based on my 5000# GROSS WEIGHT, 4 wheel trailer I should only inflate my tires to 25-30#... OR 1300# x 4 WHEELS = 5200# load capacity...
I'm not doing that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gy01.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	165388  

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 03-17-2018, 08:47 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoner View Post
They may know their tires but the Marathon fiasco shows they are only interested in selling them. Often not what any company says but what they don't say.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:01 AM   #29

Quote:
They may know their tires but the Marathon fiasco shows they are only interested in selling them. Often not what any company says but what they don't say.
My Dad bought a '59 FORD that was lemon and he traded for a Chevy the next year. Since then I have never bought another FORD product...

These two statements are about the same don't you think?

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 03-17-2018, 09:31 AM   #30
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I read this and I wonder to my self if this is always 100% correct advice for every instance. I like this statement better...

I myself purchased Endurance last May, about 4,000 miles ago. I also went from recommended load range C tires (per trailer sticker) to load range D at the same size tire.

Inflation is recommended to be 65# for D range as opposed to 50# for C range. I have kept mine inflated COLD at 55-56 PSI, as I think with the smaller load on the tires it might minimize bounce.

I just ran back on a 12 hour drive at about 65 MPH average with my TST 507 RV TPMS closely monitored. Pressures maxed out at about 65-67 PSI for all 4 tires, and temp stayed within about +10 degrees of ambient ( 77 to 62 degrees) as I drove from about 11 AM to 11 PM north from FL to KY on a sunny day this past week.

When I travel in the warmer months, I will also again monitor the tire temps and see if they are getting too hot from sidewall flexing.

BTW... this is the first that I used the new color monitor of the TST series as I upgraded last fall. I DO LIKE the new easier to read monitor and was surprised that after charging the monitor for only about 30 minutes that the monitor would last easily 8 or more hours being un-hooked from the charging cable. I also noted that it took about 30 minutes for the monitor to show NO READING for PSI after dropping the trailer and driving away. I currently have about 18 months on tire sensors on the second set of batteries.

I wrote up a TIP on battery changing procedure for those not yet having done it here http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nt-126789.html

Kudos to TST for a fine product.
If you are going to inflate your upgraded load range tires to less than the manufacturer, tire manufacturer, max inflation pressure then at the very least you should get your trailer weighed and inflate to the tire manufacturers pressure based on the actual load on the tires. Otherwise, inflate to max side wall pressure and call it done. JMO

According to the Goodyear Endurance inflation load chart, https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf , the tire can support 200 pounds less by reducing the inflation pressure from 65 down to 55. This may be enough to support your trailer weight by just enough but that is the reason for the upgrade anyway, to have more capacity and less stress on the tires.

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:42 AM   #31

I will buy the Endrance tires when they have been out a few years. Until then, sticking with Maxxis on all my trailers. Sorry, but 5K miles on tires in one year is not proving anything. The Chinese Marathons would go 5K miles as well.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:45 AM   #32

Macrosill...

Quote:
If you are going to inflate your upgraded load range tires to less than the manufacturer, tire manufacturer, max inflation pressure then at the very least you should get your trailer weighed and inflate to the tire manufacturers pressure based on the actual load on the tires. Otherwise, inflate to max side wall pressure and call it done. JMO

Quote:
If I used this GOODYEAR chart then based on my 5000# GROSS WEIGHT, 4 wheel trailer I should only inflate my tires to 25-30#... OR 1300# x 4 WHEELS = 5200# load capacity...
My trailer GROSS is about 4900#... I travel with it weighed in once at about 4700#... I call it 5000# for round numbers. It is not that I am anywhere near the load capacity of even the stock C load range tires. BIGGER heavier trailers have to be more cautious than I do.

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 03-17-2018, 09:53 AM   #33
Camper

It is good that you know the actual weight of your trailer, and thus can determine the proper pressure for your trailer. You are more the exception than the rule. A lot of the trailers have running gear that is rated for slightly over the GVWR. In your case, it seems even the C range tires are more than sufficient.

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:44 AM   #34

I didn't read anywhere that we SHOULD inflate to that pressure but rather indicates what the tire supports at a given pressure.

Compared to the Marathon fiasco, I guess Firestone should be put out of business since they had the 721 and SUV fiascos.
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:36 PM   #35

Quote:
My Dad bought a '59 FORD that was lemon and he traded for a Chevy the next year. Since then I have never bought another FORD product...

Funny, I bought the 1st Chevy that came in the area with the extended cab. Found it to be junk, traded in 14 months on a Ford and never looked back. Even the kids ~~ no GM in my driveway ever!
Old 03-17-2018, 12:41 PM   #36

Quote:

NOT necessarily. When a person has a problem with one brand of product it leaves a bad taste in their mouth that can last a lifetime.

Particularly with a vehicle or something like tires where so much is riding on them people with a bad experience will avoid that particular brand.

Me and Ford Trucks is a classic example. Had a bad experience, WONT buy another.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:04 AM   #37

When applying a tire industry standard the procedure needs to be reviewed for correctness. The following two paragraphs are from the U.S. Tire Manufacturer’s Association standards PDF. Page #44 in this reference -- https://www.ustires.org/sites/defaul...TruckTires.pdf --.

Tire inflation pressure recommendations may be determined
based on the tire manufacturer’s specifications, which define
the amount of inflation pressure necessary to carry a given
load. These inflation pressures may differ from those found
on the vehicle tire placard or certification label.

However, never use inflation pressure lower than specified by
the vehicle tire placard, certification label or owner’s manual.
Nor should inflation pressure exceed the maximum pressure
molded on the tire sidewall.

When using replacement tires that differ in size and load capacity from the Original Equipment tires, tire industry standards require the replacements to be equal or greater in size and have the ability to provide a load capacity equal to the OE tires described on the vehicle’s certification label.

Because the governing body (DOT) has instructed vehicle manufacturers to use tires appropriate for each fitment and to set the recommended cold inflation pressures for those tires, they are the minimum benchmark for that vehicle.

Now days, all that information is available on the WWW. One just has to develop a searching procedure to find it and put it all together.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:52 AM   #38

We are thinking Goodyear Endurance. Our rig is only a year old but I'd rather replace the OEM Castle Rocks before problems arise.
kdp1897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:22 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp1897 View Post
We are thinking Goodyear Endurance. Our rig is only a year old but I'd rather replace the OEM Castle Rocks before problems arise.
I replaced the Castle Rocks right after I brought our trailer home. Bought new Maxxis tires including the spare. I will wait until everyone else tests the new Endurance tires for a few years before I use them.

I went up in width from 205s to 215s. Helped get a little more capacity margin.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:03 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I replaced the Castle Rocks right after I brought our trailer home. Bought new Maxxis tires including the spare. I will wait until everyone else tests the new Endurance tires for a few years before I use them.

I went up in width from 205s to 215s. Helped get a little more capacity margin.
I replaced immediately also, but with Sailun. So far only 1 documented Endurance failure on a tire installed 4 months ago. I'd wait a few years to see on them also... if a lighter tire I'd go with Maxxis or Carlisle HD until then also.