Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2021, 11:28 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
When I want to fill an AC system with dry nitrogen for testing I first pull a 29" vacuum on it to boil away all the moisture.

Nobody puts a vacuum on your tires after setting the beads they leave all that moisture laden air in the tire then charge you extra to top it off with nitrogen.

Safe travels.
DING DING DING we HAVE a Winner!!!!
Old 07-07-2021, 11:35 AM   #82
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
DING DING DING we HAVE a Winner!!!!
… but that won’t stop the discussion!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:38 AM   #83
Trailer Park Supervisor

Water is wet!
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:40 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
… but that won’t stop the discussion!
No it won't because now we need to debate the boiling point of water under vacuum.
Old 07-07-2021, 11:48 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogieboy View Post
With all factors equal, moist air is less dense than dry air because water has a lower molecular weight than nitrogen and oxygen.

ergo, the pressure can and will fluctuate more...
While your statement makes scientific sense it doesn't address one question. Just exactly how much water is actually in the air inside a tire?

Tire shops take measures to reduce moisture content in the air as it tends to have destructive effects on tools and equipment. Some stores, especially in humid environments, will use refrigerated air driers which decreases the air temp from the compressor to lower than dewpoint. Water now precipitates and is separated before continuing on to where tires are inflated.

All this focus on "wet air" is a waste. If air in tires was as wet as some claim then a tire changed on a cold winter day would have water sitting inside it.

Another overlooked fact, "Nitrogen Generators" used in tire shops are essentially a Revers Osmosis device where compressed air enters, other gases escape through a membrane, and remaining nitrogen passes through to either an accumulator tank or directly to a tire.

Tires lose a certain amount of pressure as the smaller gas atoms/molecules pass through the inner liner of a tubless tire. If you want a tire filled almost totally with Nitrogen, just keep it topped off. Eventually the %N will be as close to 100% as you can get in a tire.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:58 AM   #86

I used to repair and replace tires back in the 90's and HAVE run across some wet tires. I have had the valves freeze up when letting the air out. I have seen some that actually rusted the inside of steel wheels too. Not all tires are filled or refilled with dry air. I fill mine at home and don't have water separators or air dryer on my compressor and it gets mighty humid here. How many other here do the same?

End result though, moisture in the tire is really a non issue. If the only reason to use nitrogen is to reduce moisture and maintain set pressure longer, it also does help keep a tire cooler with less increase in pressure as it heats up, but without scientific equipment in a test environment, the average driver would never see that. IOW Snake Oil.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:13 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogieboy View Post
With all factors equal, moist air is less dense than dry air because water has a lower molecular weight than nitrogen and oxygen.

ergo, the pressure can and will fluctuate more...
True. But not sure that is what matters.

I read some stuff that seemed to me mostly nonsense. Talked about ice forming inside the tires and corrosion. Where I live the air is very dry to start. But we get sub freezing temps all winter.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:15 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
That was my thought too. We are wrong: https://www.getnitrogen.org/pdf/graham.pdf

Ok, so when I got to the "flux = permeability coefficient of gas"
part, i zoned out, and started thinking of the flux capacitor.

CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:18 PM   #89
Trailer Park Supervisor

What about liquid nitrogen? Can we use that? Water is wet!
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:43 PM   #90

Just fill them with LP, that when when the blow out, the BLOW out and make it spectacular.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:01 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
I used to repair and replace tires back in the 90's and HAVE run across some wet tires. I have had the valves freeze up when letting the air out. I have seen some that actually rusted the inside of steel wheels too. Not all tires are filled or refilled with dry air. I fill mine at home and don't have water separators or air dryer on my compressor and it gets mighty humid here. How many other here do the same?

End result though, moisture in the tire is really a non issue. If the only reason to use nitrogen is to reduce moisture and maintain set pressure longer, it also does help keep a tire cooler with less increase in pressure as it heats up, but without scientific equipment in a test environment, the average driver would never see that. IOW Snake Oil.
I too have seen water in tires but in most cases it came from tires bejng stacked outside in the rain and installers not taking the time to remove it.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 01:13 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
While your statement makes scientific sense it doesn't address one question. Just exactly how much water is actually in the air inside a tire?

Tire shops take measures to reduce moisture content in the air as it tends to have destructive effects on tools and equipment. Some stores, especially in humid environments, will use refrigerated air driers which decreases the air temp from the compressor to lower than dewpoint. Water now precipitates and is separated before continuing on to where tires are inflated.

All this focus on "wet air" is a waste. If air in tires was as wet as some claim then a tire changed on a cold winter day would have water sitting inside it.

Another overlooked fact, "Nitrogen Generators" used in tire shops are essentially a Revers Osmosis device where compressed air enters, other gases escape through a membrane, and remaining nitrogen passes through to either an accumulator tank or directly to a tire.

Tires lose a certain amount of pressure as the smaller gas atoms/molecules pass through the inner liner of a tubless tire. If you want a tire filled almost totally with Nitrogen, just keep it topped off. Eventually the %N will be as close to 100% as you can get in a tire.
@TitanMike, i was just positing a potential..... i am firmly in the nitro fill having any difference at all is BS camp...
Old 07-11-2021, 06:36 PM   #93

Ok OP here!!! Sorry! I put air from a regular compressor at the local filling station! Guess what? We made it to our destination! Ok did wreck the truck, but not associated to the 'fill' of the tires! Thanks everyone!

2021 Surveyor 203rkle
2018 Chevy Silverado
Fastway e2 Hitch
wyodrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:23 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
I'll bet there's none of you childrens ever used a spark plug pump......
Too difficult to locate and pull a spark plug in today's vehicles, and the computer would probably spit out 100 codes, LOL.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, tire, tires