Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2020, 06:10 PM   #1

Odd Markings / Issues with TT Tires

Hello All,

Hope everyone is staying healthy and recreating responsibly!

So we’re on our 6 month journey and a month in on our couple month old TT, I see these random markings (looks like branding from an iron) on the TT tires, all 4 in random spots.

Obviously I’m concerned about damage and/blow out while traveling with my family...has anyone ever seen this or have an idea?

We’re in a small town in Southern Utah, not sure how easy it would be to replace, just trying to not be over cautious, yet sensible about it.

Any information on the pictures attached would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	458BE011-BED6-4DA2-8943-BE21BE1F6988.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	228719   Click image for larger version

Name:	5814A4BB-ECEA-4D2E-A8BE-F5845F1F0726.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	363.6 KB
ID:	228720   Click image for larger version

Name:	E826EC90-FB47-4A94-9928-C6A69758A986.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	561.2 KB
ID:	228721   Click image for larger version

Name:	3BEC7722-92D3-4738-A620-2B74121C1561.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	581.2 KB
ID:	228722  
dnfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 06:28 PM   #2

Very possible these are wear marks where tie downs were used if the TT was transported on a low-boy trailer from factory to dealer. They may have used a "through the wheel" tie down but failed to protect the tire.

They look kind of like what you see on tire sidewalls when tire chains are improperly installed. From the pictures it appears to be more slight back and forth wear rather than something burning it like a brand would do.

Picture #1 looks like possibly the back of a strap ratchet, one end of it anyway.

I'd give some serious consideration to sending your Dealer a picture of this to "mark the date" you found this. They should be closely inspected to see if there is actual cord exposure/damage.

Just my observation based on years of looking at tire damage.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:02 PM   #3

Agreed it looks like some type of rubbing damage from something. That or something very hot hit the sidewall long enough to burn it. Either way, I would replace that and the other 3 if finances allow as Castle Rocks have not been good to me in the past. 2 blowouts with my former TT within the first 24 months of owning it and they were both Castle Rock tires. And it wasn't tire pressure related as I an anal about checking it before every trip to or from.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Very possible these are wear marks where tie downs were used if the TT was transported on a low-boy trailer from factory to dealer. They may have used a "through the wheel" tie down but failed to protect the tire.

They look kind of like what you see on tire sidewalls when tire chains are improperly installed. From the pictures it appears to be more slight back and forth wear rather than something burning it like a brand would do.

Picture #1 looks like possibly the back of a strap ratchet, one end of it anyway.

I'd give some serious consideration to sending your Dealer a picture of this to "mark the date" you found this. They should be closely inspected to see if there is actual cord exposure/damage.

Just my observation based on years of looking at tire damage.
@TitanMike, thank you for the response and the input, never thought about that and went back in time when we first purchased and had some pics...sure enough they are there, can't believe I never noticed.

Will send to the dealership, not sure how much recourse I'll have, especially with our current financial climate in the this world, but worth a mention.

@CincyGus, great information and thank you for your input as well! I've read a couple blogs regarding replacements as the stock tires are usually crap.

Any recommendations on a replacement from either of you guys? I don't want to say money isn't an issue, but when talking about safety, that's number one in my book.

Really appreciate all of the advice and recommendations!
Old 05-10-2020, 10:10 AM   #5

I ran my OE Castle Rock tires for a couple seasons and LOTS of miles before replacing.

Replaced them last year with Goodyear Endurance. They aren't exactly cheap but there's a lot to like about them.

Pick one up when it's unmounted and compare with the popular replacements. Clearly a really good tire.

I put close to 5,000 miles on them before being confined to "house arrest" in March and don't worry a bit about them failing on their own.

I DO have a TPMS installed so i can at least get a warning if one picks up a nail and starts loosing air. That's the cause of most tire issues, loosing air and being run flat with no early warning.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:29 AM   #6
Scoundrel

Carlisle Trail HDs would be a good replacement tire. Many forum members run Goodyear Endurance tires as TitanMike suggested above. If you use the search function at the top of the page for tire replacement you'll get enough reading material to last you for weeks.

Good luck

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:30 AM   #7
Site Team

Although they are all on different spots around the circumference of the tire, they all appear to be on the same height on the sidewall ( high spot on the sidewall). Damage from hitting a curb would be in the other direction so I have to agree on a tie down moving up and down as TT bounced on a vehicle bed.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 01:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Damage from hitting a curb would be in the other direction so I have to agree on a tie down moving up and down as TT bounced on a vehicle bed.
My first thought was curb strike damage before reading other comments describing tie down damage... however, would a 26 foot trailer be transported on a lowboy? Would not each tire have two tire strap markings on it? THese marks although at similar height do not necessarily look exactly alike.

With your close inspection, DO the rub marks appear to be deeply etched into the tire or are they just superficial?

I bought 4 new Goodyear Endurance tires for my trailer after putting on about 5,000 miles on my Westlake Chinese tires. I also went from Load Range C to Load Range D when I replaced them, giving me a bit more load margin. The Endurace tires have a thicker section of rubber in that same area of your marks giving a little cushion should you hit a curb when puling into driveways.

Be aware when turning corners when you drag your trailer behind you as the tires do not perfectly track where you are driving. Curb strikes are going to happen, so always go slowly when pulling into and out of driveways to help keep the damage to tire sidewalls down.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:56 PM   #9
NXR

How deep are the cracks, especially in the first and second pictures? Those look pretty scary to me.

Ray
Old 05-10-2020, 10:09 PM   #10

I will also jump on the Goodyear Endurance bandwagon. After a year I noticed that my factory installed no-name brand tires had micro cracks that looked like dry rot all throughout. I didn't feel like chancing it on a summer trip to Florida and back from Michigan. So I upgraded to the Endurance and went up one load range. Amazing tire. Handles way better and has never lost a bit of air. In addition to all of our normal trips around Michigan, they have toured around all five Great Lakes and been on a trip to Grand Canyon/Bryce/Zion, New Mexico and back. After about 6,000 miles or more they still show almost no wear. The only problem I've had was picking up a nail in a sidewall. Not much any tire would do in that situation. Luckily it was on a trip home from the storage place and not a real trip.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:03 AM   #11
Member: Old Man Club

Never trust sidewall damage of any kind. I would go after the factory for replacements. Fat chance of that happening, but even if they do, they're gonna give you the same cheap crap tires they put on new rigs.

Ask yourself this question: Can I afford to put on really good brand name tires? The answer to that question is that you can't afford not to. We all know that these cheap tires are susceptible to blowouts anyway. Do you really want to risk your life and the lives of your family, not to mention other people on the road to save a couple of bucks? Sometimes, if you ask real nice, your dealer will accommodate you and change out the tires on delivery. Of course, it means your new camper will cost a little extra, but you will have the peace of mind knowing you have a quality American made product you can feel safe with.

2016 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab, 4x4
2021 Palomino Puma 27RLSS
RockDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:52 AM   #12

Those look like burn marks. Don't think I'd trust.
chapelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:17 PM   #13

Hello All,

Wanted to say thanks for the information, input, recommendations, etc.

I reached out to the dealership today and of course they pushed it to the Forest River warranty claims. So looks like I'll be a ping pong ball for a bit...

Additionally I'm going to get the (4) tires replaced with GY Endurance, like the fact they are made in the US and all of your and others positive recommendations.

This community is awesome...next up is dialing up the Internet. AT&T, Verizon, and most unlimited carriers/resellers have been "removed" aka shutdown, especially with all of the COVID-19 lockdown. This should be fun.

Thanks again - Cheers!
Old 05-27-2020, 07:55 PM   #14

Years ago I purchased a NEW trailer and the 5 tires were all dry rotted with splits in the sidewall. Dealer replaced all with 5 other tires, they were worse than the first set. [emoji35]
I proceeded to local tire shop and had the 5 tires replaced. Buying a new camper and 15 tires on day one BS! This camper had all kinds of problems, we go rid of it after 3 months....
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:08 PM   #15

Quote:
I reached out to the dealership today and of course they pushed it to the Forest River warranty claims. So looks like I'll be a ping pong ball for a bit...
and Forest River will say it is the tire provider... I believe they still use "Lionshead"

https://www.lionsheadtireandwheel.com/

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires