Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2021, 12:39 PM   #1

Ok to jack rear dually tires from axle???

Hello there. So my problem is when I use the recommended jack points on the frame of my Forest River 2400WS Mercedes class C RV, I can’t jack the rear dually tires off the ground! The leaf springs sage and I push the frame up, but not enough travel to get the tires up.

I’ve seen some videos for a product called safe jack and they put a U-shaped saddle right under the axle, and then jack from there. Looks great, but my question / concern is this an ok place to jack up my 12,000 pound RV? My rear axle is carrying about 8,000 lbs, so maybe 4,000 each side. Will jacking on the axle possibly bend or distort the axle?

I’m thinking this product is what I need, but I want to make sure I use it correctly and don’t damage my RV during the process.

Any thoughts?

Regards, John in Olympia, Wa.
John Coate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 01:09 PM   #2

If you jack up the frame a light weight scissor jack will lift one side of the axle. But the axle is a better place to lift than the frame since you don't have to go so high to get the wheels off the ground.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 03:56 PM   #3

If you jack on the axle as close as possible to the springs, preferably under them, you aren't changing any loading on the axle so no damage will occur,

Road service trucks and tire stores do this all the time and most will just put a piece of wood on top of the jack to prevent any "dimpling" of the axle tube. The wood will form a "saddle" of it's own.

Just don't lift rear axle by the differential and try to get away with both tires up in the air with only one jack. Do that and you are asking for trouble.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:46 PM   #4

Thank you Mike!
John Coate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:47 AM   #5

I use a small 1.5 ton floor jack directly under the spring shackles. You're only lifting the weight of the tire/brake assembly, and you don't have to move very far to get the tire off of the ground. Never lift the whole vehicle that way though. If you need to lift the whole vehicle you need to go directly under the frame.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, tire, tires