Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #1

Plug or Patch Tire

My 2016 Surveyor had a flat tire last weekend which I had replaced with the spare. Now I have to either replace or plug/patch the damaged tire. It was punctured in the middle of the thread with a nail and looks like it could be repaired. I called my dealer and he said to patch it and not plug it based on a phone call (he did not see the tire). I called Forest River today and they were suppose to get back with me but they have not yet. I'm wanting to take care of it tomorrow morning before I leave on another short trip and I'm not sure Forest River will get back with me by then.

Any advise to plug, repair, or replace the tire? The tire is only a year old.

Thanks

Rodney
sowbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:12 PM   #2

I say Patch it instead of plug.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:14 PM   #3

Inside patch is always best option on any tire IMO whether its for tv or tt.

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:18 PM   #4

patch is the best way in my opinion
jeffro157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:31 PM   #5

A plug installed by a real tire shop can correct most all issues unless the tire is cut or side wall damaged, in such a case I would replace. Patch and tube is not used much as it is not cost viable as you have to break the tire. Not dissing the fine folks at wally world, but I like someone who only plays with tires all day long, everytown has one, the older the shop the better - experience lives there.
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:32 PM   #6

Patch it. Plugging hurts the cords in the tire when you ream the hole out and can lead to separation later. You'll hear about a plug patch for larger holes, but those don't require reaming.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:34 PM   #7

I know Im difficult.... DW tells me that all the time..
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #8

Patch, I have a patched tire that was less than a year old when patched 4 years later still going strong. Never plug unless you have to as a last resort or to fill a large puncture then I plug and patch if I could not afford to replace.
cphubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:18 PM   #9

Out west here, we have a tire store called Discount Tires. They don't plug tires anymore. They patch them from the inside and I have never had to pay them for their services. Of course, I buy new tires from them also.

I would plug a tire if I needed a repair on the road. I carry plugs and a compressor.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #10

I have not run a repaired tire on anything for at least 40 years except as an emergency,and when the emergency is over I replace it.I know the OP is re a trailer tire,but is some ways that is scarier than a TV tire.A repaired tire on a steering axle is absolutely the worst place to have one,even in an emergency.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:19 AM   #11
WFD

In some areas,like mine, they have banned the use of plugs in tires. Had a shop tell me they can no longer use them.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:36 AM   #12
Site Team

The proper RMA approved repair is to install what is commonly called a one piece patch insert, unless the angle is too steep, then you use a two piece patch/insert.

This consists of an insert into the tire to fill the damaged area and a patch to seal it all.

The use of a plug only, installed from the outside of the tire, results in voiding any tire manufacturer warranty for separation....and will state so in the warranty (ie improper repair)

Here is a pdf file from the RMA that shows the approved method to repair passenger and light truck tires (which will also include many ST tires)

Hope it helps:

https://rma.org/sites/default/files/...hart1111_0.pdf

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #13

Replace
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #14

In California plugs are illegal and patches can only be used in the tread area, not sidewall.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowbug View Post
My 2016 Surveyor had a flat tire last weekend which I had replaced with the spare. Now I have to either replace or plug/patch the damaged tire. It was punctured in the middle of the thread with a nail and looks like it could be repaired. I called my dealer and he said to patch it and not plug it based on a phone call (he did not see the tire). I called Forest River today and they were suppose to get back with me but they have not yet. I'm wanting to take care of it tomorrow morning before I leave on another short trip and I'm not sure Forest River will get back with me by then.

Any advise to plug, repair, or replace the tire? The tire is only a year old.

Thanks

Rodney
Plugs are fine in a pinch but the only good way to repair is a inside patch . even then you need to hope the steel plys are not damaged there i would always keep an eye on that tire
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:51 PM   #16

Patch or plug

I had mine plugged then patched and that would be my recommendation never had a problem with it . This was on a heavy 5er and you can always add a tube as well
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
.A repaired tire on a steering axle is absolutely the worst place to have one,even in an emergency.
Wrong. If you have a blowout, you want to be able to steer your way out of it. A rear blowout leaves the rear of the vehicle unstable. I know this from personal experience. Same vehicle, first in the front, it was a no brainer. Second event, same highway, same load, was the rear and it was severe pucker moment keeping it under control. Also, as well as a patch, you need to fill the injury (hole) when doing a repair to seal the tire from water intrusion that will cause rust in the belt package and a separation. I'm saying this as a long time tire guy who was trained by the tire manufacturer. And, most tire manufacturers will void the warranty on their tire if it's plugged from the outside and not patched in the inside. Its in writing.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:24 PM   #18

This is a matter of opinion and local laws. I've lived in Louisiana and Texas and traveled all over the US. There is nothing wrong with plugs, BUT if you feel the cords of the tire structure are damaged, don't do it. Patching is the best method for repairing a tire. This should be done by a tire shop and their training and insurance will prevent them from patching a tire with significant damage.

I've plugged the rear tires on my sport bikes with no fear of it blowing out or coming apart. I've plugged nail/screw holes in the tires of my dually from landfill runs and I've even plugged a hole in the run flats on my Corvette. You have to know what you are doing. If you are a person who worries a lot, change the tire. The last thing you need on your mind is the reliability of a repair job. If the tire was not significantly damaged, other than a small hole, I'd plug it and carry on. Just my opinion.

EDIT - so Springerdad doesn't call me out. If you are worried about a warranty, do what he said. I'm not.
JoeyNiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:32 PM   #19
tootall1

patch or plug

If possible always patch from inside. Most tires today that we run are steel belted radial tires. A plug going into steel belting will eventually be cut thru by the belting. If the damage occurs between the left and right side of tread the hole is most generally repairable from inside, if occurs anywhere on sidewall you need to consider replacing for safety reasons.
tootall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:01 PM   #20

JoeyNiq - we're good. I brought up the warranty issue as an FYI,,,,, when I was a tire dealer, we had a lot of "this tire blew out/separated and you owe me a tire" Sure enough, most of them had a string plug or improper outside in repair.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire