Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2018, 11:18 AM   #1

Angry Power Stabilizer jacks arms

I have a 2017 27' wildwood tt, I've had this camper for 2 summers, it sets on a concrete pad, I always level it first then use a piston jack to raise it about an inch or so, then I lower the power jacks until they just take the pressure off the piston jacks. This year both doorside(right) extension arms bent, I spoke to my dealer and he stated that they aren't a warranty item, because the manufacturers say it's because the owners used the jack to lift the camper, instead of just stabilizing the camper, not true in my case. Evidently it's flaw in the design the weakest point is there the pivot bolt goes thru the arm it should be reinforced so as not the bend, I never had problems with the old scissor jacks.
riverrat2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
D W

It would help gaining Forum input to your post if you identified make and model of your "power jacks".
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:44 AM   #3
Site Team

What the mfg. considers 'stabilizing' the RV is just lowering the stabilizers until they snug against the ground. They expect the tires to support the RV and the stabilizers to lightly stabilize it.

What you did amounted to lifting the RV with the stabilizers, and therefore voided the warranty. While you 'lifted' the RV with a jack. Once you lowered the stabilizers enough to unload the jacks some, you effectively lifted the RV with the stabilizers.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:01 PM   #4
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
What the mfg. considers 'stabilizing' the RV is just lowering the stabilizers until they snug against the ground. They expect the tires to support the RV and the stabilizers to lightly stabilize it.

What you did amounted to lifting the RV with the stabilizers, and therefore voided the warranty. While you 'lifted' the RV with a jack. Once you lowered the stabilizers enough to unload the jacks some, you effectively lifted the RV with the stabilizers.
Yep, seen many a stabilizer with bent arms, stripped worm gear shaft and burnt motors with folks believing they can lift the TT with stabilizers. Often times it is a mistake due to a poor PDI, or no PDI at all.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:07 PM   #5

Since I've now got those on my new Rockwood, I'm concerned I may be doing it wrong. I extend until the solenoid? clicks. Now I'm worried I may be putting too much stress on it. With my old scissor jacks I used a cordless drill and set it to 18 on the dial and would do until it clicked.
jbrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:14 PM   #6
Professional Curmudgeon

Two owners -
One owner runs the stabilizer jacks until the frame bends upward. The other owner jacks the trailer up in the air, lowers the stabilizers, then lowers the trailer onto the stabilizer jacks.

Both sets of jacks bend.
Do you really think the problem is with the jacks?
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:46 PM   #7
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrobson View Post
Since I've now got those on my new Rockwood, I'm concerned I may be doing it wrong. I extend until the solenoid? clicks. Now I'm worried I may be putting too much stress on it. With my old scissor jacks I used a cordless drill and set it to 18 on the dial and would do until it clicked.
When you hear the motor start to labor it's time to quit. Now, if your staying in place for a day or so you can adjust them in the morning to compensate for ground settling. On pea gravel, crusher run, dirt or grass I use pads underneath the feet. On blacktop or concrete nothing under the feet. Just keep reminding yourself, "they are stabilizers, not jacks".
Old 09-27-2018, 04:02 PM   #8
Georgia Rally Coordinator

According to my manual for the stabilizers you are to deploy till both pads hit solid ground or blocks and then hold button for 2 seconds. What I do and never have had any issues. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
According to my manual for the stabilizers you are to deploy till both pads hit solid ground or blocks and then hold button for 2 seconds. What I do and never have had any issues. Later RJD
Same here,ours are Lippert electric stabilizers! Youroo! !

Tags
jacks, power