Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2021, 08:01 AM   #21

These cup the tires nicely during storage. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
jefrec27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:05 AM   #22
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
Most of us won't own the camper we have today in 5 years time. That's just a statistical fact. Tires last for 20 years but should not be stressed after 7 years from their build date. But before they get to 7, some, most, if not all will need changing because of road damage. So worrying about how they are stored over a 5 month stand still is just a waste of energy. Rather worry about World Piece...or is it Peece...?
Whaaaat?? 3 years and I finally got the bugs worked out!!! You mean I need to get rid of it in 2 years after all that?

Do you have a link to those stats? I'm just curious and like to read about stuff like that. I HEARD once that the average ownership time for people who buy a boat is 3 years. If 5 years is average for RV owners, that would probably be for same reasons boat ownership is such a brief period.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:08 AM   #23
Trailer Park Supervisor

BTW, how many years does it take for the flat spots to become evident? I've been storing Corvette all winter for 7 years with no flat spots, and camper for 3. Nothing under tires. Camper is on asphalt driveway, car was on concrete garage floor for years before I put Racedeck flooring in.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:50 AM   #24
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
I believe it's actually Whirled Peas.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:00 AM   #25
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Do you have a link to those stats? I'm just curious and like to read about stuff like that. I HEARD once that the average ownership time for people who buy a boat is 3 years. If 5 years is average for RV owners, that would probably be for same reasons boat ownership is such a brief period.
Like so many of the stats, they are third derivates of data bases that are not audited. I got this from an OpEd in MotorHome magazine a few years ago. They based it on a survey of their Classified Ads where the number of owners were imputed. The editorial was directed towards the economic advisability of over investing in a MH after its purchase given the massive depreciation rates through year 3. They did not address boats or second homes and postulated that there were other assets like MHs. Interestingly they did not attempt to address the TT market as a comparison.

One point that was made however that I do recall, is that in years of booming RV sales, the average length of ownership decreases 5 years later. So when we look back on 2020/21, the product sold in those delivery years is likely to have had more owners than the years before and after.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:13 AM   #26
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
When they say placard that refers to the vehicle placard, not the side of the tire which is maximum of course. Why would they say placard when they could say maximum on sidewall? Maybe you should read it again.

Michelin said placard. Many times the placard is the same as the tire sidewall number. I have no idea of their thought process when addressing Flat Spotting. The person might or might not have personally worked on that tire issue.

Increasing inflation will decrease F.S. The only question is how much pressure is OK. I would be comfortable with tire sidewall +10% assuming the tire has not been damaged.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:17 AM   #27
Commercial Member

Quote:
BTW, how many years does it take for the flat spots to become evident? I've been storing Corvette all winter for 7 years with no flat spots, and camper for 3. Nothing under tires. Camper is on asphalt driveway, car was on concrete garage floor for years before I put Racedeck flooring in.

I think if you check the weight of the Vett and compare it to the tire load capacity you will find that you are no where near the load capacity of the tire. RVs generally are very near and some are over the load capacity of the tires.
FS is a function of load and inflation. The material on the surface you park on has nothing to do with Flat Spotting.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:36 AM   #28
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I think if you check the weight of the Vett and compare it to the tire load capacity you will find that you are no where near the load capacity of the tire. RVs generally are very near and some are over the load capacity of the tires.
FS is a function of load and inflation. The material on the surface you park on has nothing to do with Flat Spotting.
I figured that. The Corvette forums just like the RV forums are all buzzing with flat spot threads this time of year, for what generally is a non-issue.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:39 AM   #29
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
I figured that. The Corvette forums just like the RV forums are all buzzing with flat spot threads this time of year, for what generally is a non-issue.
Bingo!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:56 AM   #30
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
That's double amusing because so many of the Vette owners are trying not to put mileage on their cars to keep the resale price up. So flat spots or not have no impact on their usage or safety. Just an AC attitude which makes for a wonderful business opportunity at Race Ramps who make rounded ramps to cater to this fantastic behavior.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:00 PM   #31
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
The material on the surface you park on has nothing to do with Flat Spotting.
Maybe not flat spotting but the surface does have other implications. the carbon black in the tires gets leached out of the tire by some surfaces. In our aircraft hanger we perpetually have problems with parked tires removing the epoxy from the floor when the planes sit for more than 4 weeks waiting for parts. So we have learned to put carpet remnants or car floor mats under the tires to stop the effect and the floor as well as tire damage. the aircraft are nowhere near their load limits with empty tanks and no payload.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:23 AM   #32

Modern radials do not flat spot. If you rarely tow, why even own one?
krazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 06:33 AM   #33

About 5 years ago I was having problems with tires separating no matter the brand. I keep my 5er in a Pole Barn with a concrete floor. Until we started heading north during the Summer the 5er would sit in the Pole Barn during the summer and did most of our camping during the cooler months. I bought a set of Trailerlegs and it solved the problem. I actually use the Trailerlegs all the time now whether it is sitting at home or we are are out on the road. They make the 5er so much more stable because you are are no long getting movement/bounce from the suspension. The only time I don't use em now is when we are just doing a overnight stop over.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:32 AM   #34
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyk View Post
Modern radials do not flat spot. If you rarely tow, why even own one?
Not so. My race cars will flat spot overnight if left on their wheels. NBD if you have time to let the tire come up to operating temperature but we seldom do. And why they sit over the Winter, even over inflated, definitely clunky for the first 2 laps if I am too lazy to put on another set.

All radials and DOT approved.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:11 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
Not so. My race cars will flat spot overnight if left on their wheels. NBD if you have time to let the tire come up to operating temperature but we seldom do. And why they sit over the Winter, even over inflated, definitely clunky for the first 2 laps if I am too lazy to put on another set.

All radials and DOT approved.
Then you are running different tires from the rest of us. I have trucks and trailers that sit for weeks and months on concrete, dirt, gravel, and asphalt. Never notice any flat spots.......
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:57 PM   #36
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Then you are running different tires from the rest of us. I have trucks and trailers that sit for weeks and months on concrete, dirt, gravel, and asphalt. Never notice any flat spots.......
Not different (same design, construction but just limited tread and a softer (than many but no tall) compound and just more noticeable. Modern trucks and cars have electric P/S and NVH installations that isolate the driver from all but the most egregious road conditions. I submit that you do have flat spots but your vehicle is not allowing you to sense them because of the design and possibly the road conditions that mask this distinction.

I am not suggesting there is anything wrong with having those flat spots and I do not get exercised about mine just taking care not to stress the tire for the first lap while I warm them up. But they are there, I can feel them, and in cold weather they potentially dangerous as they would be on a Summer UHP road or track tire.

As far as they might affect a trailer or MH, I can only defer to the poor experiences I have had with Trailer Tires and especially those from China and suggest that if this is all your budget allows, do everything you can to protect them from any cord separation/tread or sidewall fracture because their failure is a question of when not whether. Obviously if you replace them every year as I have had to do on one of my trailer(s) then its not a big deal to have flat spots prior to their change out in the Spring. the other trailer runs Michelin Ribs and they last until expiry date even with flat spots that re quite visible when they first rotate after pulling out of the parking space having sat for a month or two.
Old 12-05-2021, 06:52 PM   #37

Quote:
Not so. My race cars will flat spot overnight if left on their wheels.
So you have ST RV tires on your race cars or your on the wrong forum bro. Thats not even close to the same thing posted by the OP.
krazyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires, vent