Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2021, 11:55 AM   #1

Preventing Flat Spots On Tires Stored Long Term?

My wife and I own a ROCKWOOD Ultra Lite FW. We upgraded from a Class C motorhome to this FW.

This will be the first winter we have stored the FW and I was wondering if there was anything special done to the tires to prevent flat spots (Other than checking tire pressure and making sure they're to Mfr. specs once a month)? With the motorhome it was checking tire pressure and driving it between snow storms to keep it off one spot over long term storage (usually around 7 months).

The reason I ask is because I was involved with a long term project, several years ago & I had a car in storage. The tires, on that car, never did round out. LOL!

Just needing to know if I'm missing something with the FW tires before we settle in for the winter.
1FstGPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 01:20 PM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

Some guys in my Vette club over inflate their tires by about 10 lbs. Not going to hurt it if not being driven on. I used to but don't bother anymore and don't have issues with flat spots. Mine sits from Mid November till Mid May. I got a new driveway, so park on boards to prevent making indentations on asphalt.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:17 AM   #3

flat spots were a real problem with the old bias ply tiers I don't believe that is the case with radial tires. One of the tire guys should be able to provide current info. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:33 AM   #4

Go to the source for the best advice

LONG TERM STORAGE
When a tire is fitted to a wheel and put under load, but it is not regularly used, the tire does not have an opportunity to “exercise” and will prematurely age. If a recreational vehicle is not driven regularly, care must be taken to preserve the remaining life of the tires.
Best practices include:
1. Store the recreational vehicle in a cool, dry, sealed garage, away from electric generators or transformers. Do not store in an area where welding is performed, or in a garage that has frequently used electric motors.
2. Place a barrier between the tire and the storage surface. Suitable barriers include plastic, plywood, cardboard, or rubber floor mats.
3. Before storing the vehicles, thoroughly clean tires with soap and water.
4. If outdoors, cover tires to block direct sunlight and ultraviolet rays.
5. Inflate tires to the maximum inflation pressure indicated on the sidewall.
6. If long term storage exceeds 3 months, consider taking the recreational vehicle for monthly highway drives (about one hour of operational time). Driving the vehicle will give the tires an opportunity to generate internal heat which will promote long life. Before removing the vehicle from long term storage, thoroughly inspect each tire, and restore all tires to the proper inflation pressure.

https://www.michelinrvtires.com/
Old 11-14-2021, 01:53 PM   #5

I've had a MH and now a TT and have never done anything about the tires during long term storage and have never had a problem with the tires.
Old 11-14-2021, 02:14 PM   #6
D W

My rig sits stored from September until April. Never had a problem with "flat spots" on the steel belted radials. With the old bias ply tires, that was a different story.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 02:19 PM   #7

I remember flat spotting on rayon cord tires. But not these days. Michelin recommends lower pressure over higher pressure for storage. My daughter only takes her trailer out once a year with no issues. With collector cars we always jacked them up partially or fully especially if they old style tires that were recently made.
https://www.michelinman.com/auto/tip...-flat-spotting
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 02:49 PM   #8

I have six trailers, a one ton truck and two cars that can sit months to years at a time. I just park them and do nothing special........... no issues or flat spots.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 03:12 PM   #9

My RV sits in outdoor storage from mid October until mid April parked on rubber patio mats. Never noticed flat spots or problems starting up in April.
Old 11-14-2021, 05:12 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Much ado over nothing.
Park it (with proper inflation pressure) and it will be just fine come spring.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=98
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 07:05 PM   #11

Tire storage.

I put up a shelter logic with a process base surface. I went to Tractor Supply and bought one of their stall mats, 3/4 inch 4X6 foot. Cut it down into 4 pieces.
2 2x2 foot sections and 2 2x4 foot sections. I park the RV on these and that keeps the tires off dirt and wet ground. So far,3 years now, everything seems fine.
Daddystribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:09 PM   #12

Tires

X2- Seadog
Tundra 2014 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:46 AM   #13

Looking over the replies, I think I have a game plan for it now.

Thanks for all the replies.
1FstGPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 07:24 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
I remember flat spotting on rayon cord tires. But not these days. Michelin recommends lower pressure over higher pressure for storage. My daughter only takes her trailer out once a year with no issues. With collector cars we always jacked them up partially or fully especially if they old style tires that were recently made.
https://www.michelinman.com/auto/tip...-flat-spotting

I think you need to re-read the Michelin post. They say to inflate to placard.

As a Tire Design Engineer I worked on tire flat spotting issues. Lower inflation is definitely NOT a method of decreasing the Flat Spotting.

The best way to decrease FS is to minimize the deflection of a tire. This can be done by decreasing the load and or increasing the inflation. While not easy to do, jacking up the RV and removing the tires & wheels and storing then on their sides or while up in the air would definitely eliminate FS BUT this is not easy or safe thing for most people to do.
You can empty holding tanks and keep minimum fuel and other "stuff" in the RV. You can inflate the tire to the pressure number on the tire sidewall. You can also take it out for a short drive. Doesn't have to be very far as you just need to include some turns so the tires rotate and are not parked on the same spot when you get back. You can't just move 10 feet and then back 10 feet because you will end on the same spot on the tire.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 40 years experience as tire design engineer. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Next in March 2022 Tuscon AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I think you need to re-read the Michelin post. They say to inflate to placard.

As a Tire Design Engineer I worked on tire flat spotting issues. Lower inflation is definitely NOT a method of decreasing the Flat Spotting.

The best way to decrease FS is to minimize the deflection of a tire. This can be done by decreasing the load and or increasing the inflation. While not easy to do, jacking up the RV and removing the tires & wheels and storing then on their sides or while up in the air would definitely eliminate FS BUT this is not easy or safe thing for most people to do.
You can empty holding tanks and keep minimum fuel and other "stuff" in the RV. You can inflate the tire to the pressure number on the tire sidewall. You can also take it out for a short drive. Doesn't have to be very far as you just need to include some turns so the tires rotate and are not parked on the same spot when you get back. You can't just move 10 feet and then back 10 feet because you will end on the same spot on the tire.
When they say placard that refers to the vehicle placard, not the side of the tire which is maximum of course. Why would they say placard when they could say maximum on sidewall? Maybe you should read it again.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:19 PM   #16
Norwood Auto Italia

Most of us won't own the camper we have today in 5 years time. That's just a statistical fact. Tires last for 20 years but should not be stressed after 7 years from their build date. But before they get to 7, some, most, if not all will need changing because of road damage. So worrying about how they are stored over a 5 month stand still is just a waste of energy. Rather worry about World Piece...or is it Peece...?
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
Most of us won't own the camper we have today in 5 years time. That's just a statistical fact. Tires last for 20 years but should not be stressed after 7 years from their build date. But before they get to 7, some, most, if not all will need changing because of road damage. So worrying about how they are stored over a 5 month stand still is just a waste of energy. Rather worry about World Piece...or is it Peece...?

I believe it's actually Whirled Peas.
Virginian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:49 PM   #18

Vortex jam?
Timtation1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:45 PM   #19

I park the MH on a concrete RV pad and I lay down some 16x16 rubber patio pavers that are about 3/4" thick and made from shredded tires. Just to keep something between the tires and the concrete. I also try to take it for a ride every 4 - 6 weeks when the roads are clear of snow and ice.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
When they say placard that refers to the vehicle placard, not the side of the tire which is maximum of course. Why would they say placard when they could say maximum on sidewall? Maybe you should read it again.
5. Inflate tires to the maximum inflation pressure indicated on the sidewall.

LOL
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires, vent