Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #1

Prodigy 3 Error Overload Message

I am back to find some help on a problem. I have started getting an intermittent error message on my P3 showing Warning Overload No Trailer Brakes. According to TeKonsha this is a short to ground or possibly short in trailer brake magnet.

The problem seems to become more frequent with a higher setting on "Power Boost" and also more frequent brake use with or without the power boost setting on.

If I turn the power boost off I can generally keep the warning from coming on as long as I use lower brake pressure keeping the volts below 3 or 4. If I use the brakes more frequently it takes less volts (brake pedal pressure) to get the warning.

This seems to me to be agrivated by heat due to use of the brakes. Does this sound more like a bad magnet? If so can you explain how to test the magnets? Is it possible to test without the truck being hooked up and what are the best emthods to do so?

Thanks for the help, I am not very familiar with trailer brakes.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I reference this article from eTrailer: Diagnosing Overload Warning, No Brakes, On a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Brake Controller | etrailer.com

Sorry, can't help more than that. I have had the overload message but its been very intermittent for me so I haven't explored further.

It suggests using the P3's diagnostic troubleshooting settings
"...Press the lower button on the right side of the controller, this is the Menu/Options button. Select the Help setting and press the menu button again. Now, select troubleshoot and press the menu button. Now, using the buttons on the left side of the P3 you can toggle through the battery voltage display, stop lamp display, output voltage display and output current (amps) display.

Using these menus you can determine if your problem is on the power wire to the P3, stop light switch wire or output wire."
It talks about testing the brake magnets at the right of the article. Also, the link above provides other articles that might be of interest.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Triguy. I seen this article, very informative.

I have not tried the P3 troubleshooting but this only happens while moving and it seems only when heavy(ish) braking. I wonder if the P3 could keep a "code" so to speak. I can apply the brakes when it is just setting and nothing happens. Maybe if I apply the brakes and hold them it would go to error.

I will try this tonight.