Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2019, 09:47 AM   #1

Prodigy Wireless Brake Controller

Hello, just bought an R-Pod that has a prodigy wireless brake system. When we had a hitch installed on our tow vehicle they put a 4 pin connector on. You need a 7 pin for the prodigy. So, I made an appointment two weeks in advance at the uhaul where I had the hitch and wiring installed. Told them I needed a 7 pin connector installed not a 4 pin, thought that was known since they new the hitch was for an rv. I get there this morning and after 30 minutes of them being under my vehicle they came and asked for the brake controller or if I wanted to buy one from them. I told them my brake controller plugged into the 12v outlet, it was wireless, I just needed a 7 pin plug installed. They said okay. After 15 more minutes they come back out and say they can't help me. They have never messed with wireless controllers so they aren't sure how to wire it. Needless to say I am pissed and confused. Does anyone have any idea what I need to do? Thank you so much in advance.
kayan121110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayan121110 View Post
Hello, just bought an R-Pod that has a prodigy wireless brake system. When we had a hitch installed on our tow vehicle they put a 4 pin connector on. You need a 7 pin for the prodigy. So, I made an appointment two weeks in advance at the uhaul where I had the hitch and wiring installed. Told them I needed a 7 pin connector installed not a 4 pin, thought that was known since they new the hitch was for an rv. I get there this morning and after 30 minutes of them being under my vehicle they came and asked for the brake controller or if I wanted to buy one from them. I told them my brake controller plugged into the 12v outlet, it was wireless, I just needed a 7 pin plug installed. They said okay. After 15 more minutes they come back out and say they can't help me. They have never messed with wireless controllers so they aren't sure how to wire it. Needless to say I am pissed and confused. Does anyone have any idea what I need to do? Thank you so much in advance.
They just bring over the existing 4 wires and an additional 12V line to the 7 pin connector. Don't need to wire up the backup light wire or the trailer brake wire. They were likely confused on why you didn't need the blue brake wire.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:17 PM   #3
Site Team

You're planning on towing a Rpod, with a vehicle that clearly doesn't have the factory tow package?
I hope you know that it has a lower towing capacity than if it had the factory tow package.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:45 PM   #4

I would ASSUME you just need +12VDC to the aux power pin, BUT maybe you need it to the brake controller pin.

Looking at these installation instructions, it would appear that you only need the +12VDC to the aux power pin (Pin #4).

https://www.towingproducts.net/Appli...ons/N90250.pdf

(Make sure your Prodigy is the same model as the one in the link above before you run with it. I don't know how many wireless models they make.)

So you just need them to run power from the battery or an appropriate power source (unused fuse?) to Pin #4 of the 7-pin connector. I'm pretty surprised that they wouldn't know how to do this.

I'd just tell them, "Forget about the wireless controller; just give me a 7-pin connector, but don't bother to wire the brake controller pin." If they wire everything else in the usual manner, you'll be good to go.

See pic below. Your Prodigy on the trailer is using the red wire and is wirelessly applying that voltage to the trailers blue wire. You don't need the blue wire from the vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7 pin wiring.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	217614  

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I'm pretty surprised that they wouldn't know how to do this.
It's U-Haul!
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:50 PM   #6
Rookie

Curious, what are you towing with?

...the FR app doesn't show signatures
Old 10-19-2019, 06:02 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrprovy View Post
Curious, what are you towing with?

...the FR app doesn't show signatures
A Kia Sedona minivan without the factory tow package.
Hence the wireless brake controller.
The Rpod 172 has a GVWR of 3244lbs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:27 PM   #8
Rookie

Follow the wiring diagram previously posted and you should be alrighty (with the brakes)

Just a heads up, we just picked up our Geo Pro 16BH, which has a dry weight under 3K lbs. I towed it home from RVW in Ohio to LI, NY with my Chevy Trailblazer (5700lb tow capacity) and I felt it back there, especially through the mountains (spent most of the up hill highway in 2nd gear around 5k RPM). I towed with an Andersen WDH; DEFINITELY get a WDH! I suspect the Sedona is going to struggle pulling over 3K lbs, good luck.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You're planning on towing a Rpod, with a vehicle that clearly doesn't have the factory tow package?
I hope you know that it has a lower towing capacity than if it had the factory tow package.

I know what the tow rating is on my vehicle. I also know what the gvw is on my rv. That is generally well known information one attains before a purchase. What isn't well known is the original question of why the heck a shop that specializes in hitches and trailers doesn't know anything about wireless brake controllers.

As a moderator of these forums, what exactly did this bring to the conversation other than a general "get off my lawn" vibe? Let me answer that. Nothing. It brought nothing.
kayan121110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:05 PM   #10

The Kia "factory tow package" does not include a brake controller or brake controller wiring. In fact, the factory tow package includes the hitch and 4 pin wiring - and that's it.

The R-pod is well within tow limits when loaded reasonably. Where the OP may struggle is with headwinds at interstate speeds because of the frontal area - the minivan will likely kick down a gear or two, and the engine will be running at 3K-5K RPMs. Still well within the capability of the vehicle.

In my experience, U-Haul shops are hit and miss on installing tow packages - some have been great, and some had no clue. Try another U-Haul shop, or go to an RV place that sells a lot of PUPs and small trailers - they are used to dealing with non-truck tow vehicles.

When I had my Hyundai minivan (rebadged Sedona) fitted for towing, I used my A-frame selling dealer (now out of business). Had a great service and parts dept, and I could trust them. 5 years later, everything is still going good, no faults in the wiring. They called me in to decide to not to put in an aux transmission cooler because the separate stock cooler was so big. When it didn't ride right, we jointly agreed on an E-2 600/6000 WDH/anti-sway that makes the ride while towing very close to stock.

The dealer put in a cheap, wired brake controller. I have since replaced with a Prodigy 2, which works much, much better and doesn't jerk me at low speeds.

hope this helps
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan (with E2 600/600 WDH and Prodigy 2 brake controller)
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake control, controller