Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2020, 12:15 PM   #1

Proper way to jack up trailer to service wheel bearings

Hello, Any advice on the proper way to jack up a two axle travel trailer to service wheel bearings? Is it ok to lift one wheel at a time? Don't see any info in my manuals and some people do it under the frame or under the axle in videos. Thanks for any advice.
olebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:23 PM   #2
Site Team

It depends on whether you have spring hung axles or torsion axles.
For spring hung, most people place the jack either under the frame or under the spring perch on each axle.

For torsion axles you don't jack under the axle so under the frame is your option.

Having said that, if you have tandem axles some people use leveler ramps to lift one wheel at a time by running one wheel up on the ramp.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:29 PM   #3

my TT and cargo trailer have double axles. I use wood pieces to drive on to get the tire of one side of one axle off the ground. Chock the remaing wheels !! That's the way I service my bearings and brakes. Repeat this process for all wheels, , ,

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:57 PM   #4

I don't mean to sound disrespectful. Some folks that aren't mechanically inclined (not saying you are or not) can mess more up by disassembling their spindle bearings than helping. And I don't mean to imply that.
Maybe some that have experience can offer advice to help. Are you going to remove your bearings and flush/clean out all the old bearing grease and hand pack with new wheel bearing specific grease?

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:02 PM   #5

Yes , I plan on repacking them myself, my concern is when jacking up on the frame behind the rear axles. I don't want to cause any unnecessary stress on the trailer. I've done bearing service on other trailers, never on a longer travel trailer.
olebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:22 PM   #6

I chock the wheels and jack up the frame in two spots on one side of the trailer. Then I place 2 jack stands. This is the safest way and less stress on the trailer frame.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:43 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

As mentioned, on spring axles, pretty much everyone puts the jack under the bottom U-Bolt plate if the axles attach on top the springs. (underslung springs)

It's a little more tricky if the axle is under the springs (overslung springs) as there isn't much to jack against except a round axle tube or rounded U-Bolts. Depending on the head of your jack, it may be better then to jack on the frame.

I have torsion axles and since the axle attachment bracket is welded to the axle tube and bolted to the frame, (and holds the weight of the R/V) I jack against the bracket.
Attached Images

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:19 PM   #8

Axle

On torsion axles, the safest way is a drive on ramp. I use the AndersenDrive on for lube and flat changes. Especially on the Ultra Lights, there just is not a lot of metal in the frame.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:18 PM   #9
Brake is on left

Bottle jack. Faster and easier than ramps. I do one at a time and put a jack stand under. Just in case.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
I don't mean to sound disrespectful. Some folks that aren't mechanically inclined (not saying you are or not) can mess more up by disassembling their spindle bearings than helping. And I don't mean to imply that.
Maybe some that have experience can offer advice to help. Are you going to remove your bearings and flush/clean out all the old bearing grease and hand pack with new wheel bearing specific grease?
That is the way it is done, boyo!
Old 10-30-2020, 09:52 AM   #11
ARLO

Camco sells something called a Trailer Aid regular and plus version. It takes 30 seconds to lift a wheel off the ground without jacks, jack stands, no laying on the ground. I got one and it is well worth the money. You drive one axle onto it and it raises the other wheel off the ground. Very convenient and secure.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:24 AM   #12

Here's how I raise ours with torsion axles.

I use a bottle jack on the frame where the axle mount is. Once I'm finished with the front wheel, I move the jack to the same spot on the rear axle mount.

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2022 Ford F-350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, 7.3L
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 06:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
As mentioned, on spring axles, pretty much everyone puts the jack under the bottom U-Bolt plate if the axles attach on top the springs. (underslung springs)

It's a little more tricky if the axle is under the springs (overslung springs) as there isn't much to jack against except a round axle tube or rounded U-Bolts. Depending on the head of your jack, it may be better then to jack on the frame.

I have torsion axles and since the axle attachment bracket is welded to the axle tube and bolted to the frame, (and holds the weight of the R/V) I jack against the bracket.
For the underslung type, is it okay to jack on the smallest leaf spring, right next to the axle? I didn't want to put the jack on the U bolt but the leaf spring seemed roughly equivalent and nice and flat.

[Edit] Never mind. I just found another post where this was asked and answered.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:13 PM   #14

Winterizing/storing

Is it a good idea to store your trailer with the tires off the ground. Mine is a 30' Wolf-pack two axle toy hauler.
idaho43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:36 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho43 View Post
Is it a good idea to store your trailer with the tires off the ground. Mine is a 30' Wolf-pack two axle toy hauler.
Many tire manufacturers recommend taking the weight off a tire for storage.

The question is... how long is considered "storage."

I've successfully parked my utility and boat trailers, R/Vs (travel trailers 5th wheels and motorhomes) as well as other equipment and autos for many months WITHOUT lifting the tires off the ground, with no ill effects.

I think this is one of those "do what you are comfortable with" subjects.

Certainly if the tire is partially submerged in water or knee deep in mud may play a role in your decision making.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:55 PM   #16

I park the Forester on drive on rubber patio mats I believe are 2 x 2. Works for me. Previously parked TT on lawn along side of house or gravel at a storage place. Cover tires and have never noticed any bad effect on tires doing any of this. Having a vehicle up on jacks may make it more unstable in high winds. I would not want to consider the damage if it comes off the jacks.

Tags
bearings, service, trailer, wheel