Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2020, 02:26 PM   #21

torque wrench

Hi all, New design torque wrenches will display torque settings. They can tell you how much over you went. They can remember your settings for different torque. They vibrate and have warning lights to let you know when you are close to the actual setting. Best of all they only cost $650.00.
Mahlstedtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:34 PM   #22

Not only that but some can keep track of degrees of rotation and show it digitally. Really a nice feature.
Like this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FE2992AB-770F-46D0-943E-03E00AEEB3D1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	224723  
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Nothing wrong with using an impact wrench on the lugs. It just has to be used properly. They actually make torque limiting impact wrenches today that are great for tire shop work.
And "Torque Sticks" They are very accurate...….. I've checked them.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
And "Torque Sticks" They are very accurate...….. I've checked them.
My only issue with torque sticks is that their final torque reading can vary from impact wrench to impact wrench. It depends on the actual "clutch" or "hammer unit the wrench uses.

Now if one is using one wrench all the time and has checked it's accuracy, no worries.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:11 AM   #25

When using a torque wrench, the nut needs to move or it is over torqued. I worked on aircraft in the navy and work for an aerospace company now. We have to be certified for torque tools.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:42 AM   #26

I think the nut must be moving to get accurate torque after that checking torque can only tell you if is at correct torque or over, unless one wants to set the wrench slightly up each time until the friction can be overcome. Now you know it is over for sure and maybe it was correct before you started.

Many automotive applications now use a minimum torque then a specified number of degrees for the final. This provides a more accurate and uniform clamping force which is often the goal. This method relies on the thread pitch which is a constant regardless of friction. This method has been used on European cars for many years.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:11 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Navy was still using Beam style torque wrenches in the 80's. I don't remember them having ratcheting style heads.
lol
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:44 AM   #28

I'm not sure what's worse - all you "Torque-Nuts" (yes, pun intended) throwing up 27 posts about torque wrenches, torque sticks, lug nuts and breaker bars . . . or me reading through all 27!!!
I guess this is what happens when we're forced to stay at home!!
Old 03-09-2020, 11:03 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth10 View Post
I'm not sure what's worse - all you "Torque-Nuts" (yes, pun intended) throwing up 27 posts about torque wrenches, torque sticks, lug nuts and breaker bars . . . or me reading through all 27!!!

Maybe that's why posts tend to drop off when the weather is nice and everyone is out camping, especially beyond internet coverage

Old 03-09-2020, 11:09 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth10 View Post
Hopefully you don't stay at home! We have been camping all year.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:15 AM   #31

FAA Certification A/P here.

When I went to school in the early 90's at PIA, we learned that you can not "check torque" on a torqued fastener by setting the tool to the desired torque. The reason was called something like "break-away torque" if I recall correctly.

The premise is that if you torque a fastener to say 100 lb/ft, and then set the torque wrench to 105 lb/ft and "check" the torque... you would not get motion on the fastener and the wrench would indicate 105 because the break-away torque is higher than the constant motion torque. Because of this, we were taught that to properly TQ any critical fastener you would back the fastener off and smoothly pull that fastener to torque.

The other thing is some fasteners are torque rated dry, and some are rated with a specified lubricant. This dramatically effects clamping loads at a given torque setting. If you are applying anti-seize or oil to the studs, your actually applying more load on the fastener at your torque setting than you suspect. For something as mundane as automotive wheel studs this is not a big deal, but I'm just throwing it out there as another fact to be aware of.

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:26 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry0071 View Post
FAA Certification A/P here.

When I went to school in the early 90's at PIA, we learned that you can not "check torque" on a torqued fastener by setting the tool to the desired torque. The reason was called something like "break-away torque" if I recall correctly.

The premise is that if you torque a fastener to say 100 lb/ft, and then set the torque wrench to 105 lb/ft and "check" the torque... you would not get motion on the fastener and the wrench would indicate 105 because the break-away torque is higher than the constant motion torque. Because of this, we were taught that to properly TQ any critical fastener you would back the fastener off and smoothly pull that fastener to torque.

The other thing is some fasteners are torque rated dry, and some are rated with a specified lubricant. This dramatically effects clamping loads at a given torque setting. If you are applying anti-seize or oil to the studs, your actually applying more load on the fastener at your torque setting than you suspect. For something as mundane as automotive wheel studs this is not a big deal, but I'm just throwing it out there as another fact to be aware of.
"Mundane" apparently you have not heard the Song "You found a fine time to leave me Loose Wheel"! Youroo!!
Old 03-09-2020, 11:34 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry0071 View Post
For something as mundane as automotive wheel studs this is not a big deal, but I'm just throwing it out there as another fact to be aware of.
Especially when one looks at a chart showing the range of torque specs on any given vehicle. Some torque specs can have huge ranges, sometimes as much as 25 ft lbs on smaller studs up to 50 or more ft/lbs on larger diameter studs.

Definitely not as critical as in the aerospace industry or for engine assembly.

Old 03-09-2020, 12:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
lol
yeah they got smart some how... I retired in 05 and we had them
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:20 PM   #35

Never use a torque wrench to loosen anything. You will ruin it.
Nastynotchback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:30 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynotchback1 View Post
Never use a torque wrench to loosen anything. You will ruin it.
i think that has been brought up before. Some torque wrenches may be damaged but most are capable of torquing left handed nuts and bolts. I know all of mine are. But there is no real reason for using it to loosen bolts/nuts.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:49 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
i think that has been brought up before. Some torque wrenches may be damaged but most are capable of torquing left handed nuts and bolts. I know all of mine are. But there is no real reason for using it to loosen bolts/nuts.

Right tool for the right job. A left hand thread can be torqued because your just torquing the bolt. Your not breaking it loose. I'm not gonna take my 750.00 Snap-on to break bolts loose. It cost around 75.00 to have them calibrated. I will use my cheaper breaker bar.
Nastynotchback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:21 PM   #38

Once a wheel has been torqued, the retorque is to check that the lug nut hasn't loosened (backed off). If there's a lug nut that has backed off you need to do a follow up retorque. Now that all being said, if you back off the lug nuts to retorque, you just undid what you were doing. Just checkthat the lugnuts are still at the torque valueand if not, retorque after the specified mileage recommended. If you back off this process will never stop. I rambled on but hope you got the drift about proper retorqueing.
herkyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:33 PM   #39

We re-torque trailer lug nuts because they become loose. Put the torque wrench on the nut and torque to the specified ft-lbs. If the lug nut doesn't move it's fine. If it does move, put it at the proper torque and check it again after a few miles, and do it again after a few more miles until the reading is stationary. It's not so much how accurate your trailer lug nut ft-lbs are, more that they are consistent.

At least that's how I've come to do it after losing a newly installed trailer tire/wheel...at 55 mph, as a teen ager.

And here's some confirmation.
https://72land-n-sea.blogspot.com/20...ea-rescue.html
I personally torqued the new wheels to 110# and double checked them all before we hit the road. After about 50 miles I checked them again - several were loose. At 100 more miles I still found a couple that needed a little more oomph. The next 100 miles they were all snug.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:12 PM   #40

Hey! Was that On-Sale Sears torque wrench an ASE or Metric unit?
Don't get your Foot-Pounds mixed up with your Newton-Metre's.
San Pedro, CA
Honest Abe is offline   Reply With Quote