Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2016, 01:20 PM   #1

questions about TST 507 tpms, please

just a few questions about the TST 507 tpms,...... does it read correct pressure from the beginning each time,...... meaning this, when you get in the truck, before moving are the readings correct right then?...... another system I've searched doesn't update unless moving, so it shows the last readings from when you stopped(the night before or whenever) and doesn't update again until you're moving at about 12-13mph, ..... a tire could've leaked some during the night and you wouldn't know it until you've already moved the tt away from your home, camp site or wherever,....

flow thru vs non-flow thru, ..... pros or cons of either? ... I have steel valve stems already, ... the flow thru seem large, is that a problem w/balance? ... is it really a problem adding air using the non-flow thru?

repeater? .... I see they offer a repeater, does anyone use it/need it?

these are questions that have come to me as I've searched tpms, if there are other bits of info I should know or consider please post that as well,......

a good tpms is not a cheap "do",...... so I want to do this right the first time and your experience, knowledge, and advice of the 507 is appreciated,......... thanks

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
just a few questions about the TST 507 tpms,...... does it read correct pressure from the beginning each time,...... meaning this, when you get in the truck, before moving are the readings correct right then?...... another system I've searched doesn't update unless moving, so it shows the last readings from when you stopped(the night before or whenever) and doesn't update again until you're moving at about 12-13mph, ..... a tire could've leaked some during the night and you wouldn't know it until you've already moved the tt away from your home, camp site or wherever,....

Reads actual psi at current time..

flow thru vs non-flow thru, ..... pros or cons of either? ... I have steel valve stems already, ... the flow thru seem large, is that a problem w/balance? ... is it really a problem adding air using the non-flow thru?

I have non-flow thru and not a big deal to add pressure which is not something you have to do very often..

repeater? .... I see they offer a repeater, does anyone use it/need it?

I have a 37' 5th wheel, no repeater, no problem for over a year

these are questions that have come to me as I've searched tpms, if there are other bits of info I should know or consider please post that as well,......

a good tpms is not a cheap "do",...... so I want to do this right the first time and your experience, knowledge, and advice of the 507 is appreciated,......... thanks
See my remarks

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #3

X2 with what he said.

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:36 PM   #4
CCRVOC

I have the TST 507 tpms, non-flow thru, reads current pressure and temp, no problem adding air when needed with tool. I needed the repeater on my almost 40 footer 5er. Would not travel without.
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:10 PM   #5

If you aren't already...you could turn off and back on. Make it find the sensors again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:15 PM   #6

Just finishing up a 3 month trip. Put the 507 flow thru system on before we left and after about 3500 miles the system is working great. One of the best purchases I've made for our 5er.
MrNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #7

I have the 507 TPMS with non-flow through sensors. Just returned from a 7500 mile trip.

Checked tire pressure when I started trip and didn't have to add any air. It's a GREAT safety tool.

It's interesting watching the pressures during the day. Starts off at about 48psi, cold tp in the morning. As you start moving, the tires warm up and the tire pressures increase to maybe 51 or 52psi. It's also interesting to note that the temps will vary by 2 to 5 degrees if the tires are on the sunny side vs the shady side. The pressures are also slightly higher by 2 to 3 psi on the sunny side.

I have Chinese tires, two years old with 22k miles on them. They look great and hope to get another two years and another 22k miles on them. The TPMS takes the worry out and is reassuring to know the tires are ok and not constantly adding or removing air from the tires.

Day time temps, sunny vs shady side and altitude will have slight effects on tire pressures.
johng4706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #8

I have the 507 flow through, necessary, no, convenient, yes. As the additional weight is in on the rim towards the center of the tire, balance has not been an issue Love them, shows current pressure and temperature within a minute of plugging unit into cigarette lighter.
windowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowman View Post
I have the 507 flow through, necessary, no, convenient, yes. As the additional weight is in on the rim towards the center of the tire, balance has not been an issue Love them, shows current pressure and temperature within a minute of plugging unit into cigarette lighter.
From my own experience on balancing 5 tires both with and without the 507 flow thru sensors, we found all 5 were out 0.5 oz after balancing them without the sensors to 0.0 oz and then installing the sensor and spinning them again and they were all 5 out 0.5 oz. Balance them with the sensors on!
Old 11-07-2016, 02:09 PM   #10

a sincere "thank you" for everyone's contribution to this subject, .... just completed my order from Great RV Products, and now anxious to get the new "toys",.... I love gadgets and this should be a good one,..... again, thanks .........

Old 11-07-2016, 02:10 PM   #11

I have the TST 507 non-flow through. Have only used it for one trip (80 miles roundtrip) but love it and here's my $.02.

* I don't have metal stems. Will get them when I replace tires but for now I don't and TST support said it wouldn't be a problem.
* Speaking of TST support...don't hesitate to call them. Great support! Here's some tidbits from them:
- Sensors use battery whenever they are on valve stems. Left on 24x7x365 expect 12-18 month battery life. Want longer life? Remove them when not using (i.e. winter). Be sure to number and record which tire they go on before doing this!
- The screen that goes in the cab of your TV is rechargeable. Expect about 5 days on a charge when left ON. In other words no need to keep it dangling out of a cigarette lighter all the time. Power it off when not in use to extend life.
* I'm using chrome valve stem covers for my rubber valve stems. Not nearly as good as metal stems as I understand it, but better than nothing. Seems to work ok.
* I have a 27ft TT. I bought a repeater but don't seem to need it. Works great without it.

Glad I bought them. Didn't get into camping to save money anyway.

Seakayaker
seakayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:24 PM   #12
7 Year Class A RV'er

I've been using the 507 system for about 18 months and 15K miles and here's my experience:

1. The system powers down when you're not moving to save its battery. It starts to read after you start moving. Never been an issue to me as I do a quick walk around before I pull out each morning anyway.

2. I have the flow thru sensors on the coach and the non-flow-thru for the toad. The flow thru sensors stick out more, so I didn't want them on the toad. Just my preference.

3. As for the repeater, I started out without one. Our coach is 40', tip to tip, and I had no trouble with reading the coach sensors, but I was getting intermittent reading of the rear sensors on the toad. Added the repeater in the rear bedroom cabinet and no more problems. The repeater us 12v, so you have a choice in how to power it. Some folks power it from a clearance light and then run with their lights on. Since I always have either the inverter or the generator running, I bought an inexpensive 110v to 12v power supply, like you would power LED lights with, plugged it in inside the cabinet behind the bedroom TV (same outlet as the TV) and run with it that way. Again, just preference.

Been very satisfied with the system. Works much better than the old system I had before. Good luck!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:44 PM   #13

I appreciate the OP following up. A quick reply after the fact. I have the flow-through model (without a repeater) and wish I bought the other. adjusting pressure up or down is very slow. I pull then off; adjust pressure and reinstall. I did get a rebalance with them on. I pulling an XLR (35') with a crewcab 2500 ... with the monitor on the dash it fails every trip but setting it on the center arm rest, it never fails. I can live with it this way. I absolutely love the TPMS ... one of the best "mods" I have done. Since installing a year ago I've had to adjust / check air pressure twice. Two thumbs up.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
I've been using the 507 system for about 18 months and 15K miles and here's my experience:

1. The system powers down when you're not moving to save its battery. It starts to read after you start moving. Never been an issue to me as I do a quick walk around before I pull out each morning anyway.

yours must be different than mine as it reads the pressure of the tires when I turn it on. It may take a few minutes but I do not need to move before getting readings..

2. I have the flow thru sensors on the coach and the non-flow-thru for the toad. The flow thru sensors stick out more, so I didn't want them on the toad. Just my preference.

3. As for the repeater, I started out without one. Our coach is 40', tip to tip, and I had no trouble with reading the coach sensors, but I was getting intermittent reading of the rear sensors on the toad. Added the repeater in the rear bedroom cabinet and no more problems. The repeater us 12v, so you have a choice in how to power it. Some folks power it from a clearance light and then run with their lights on. Since I always have either the inverter or the generator running, I bought an inexpensive 110v to 12v power supply, like you would power LED lights with, plugged it in inside the cabinet behind the bedroom TV (same outlet as the TV) and run with it that way. Again, just preference.

Been very satisfied with the system. Works much better than the old system I had before. Good luck!
Yours is diffent from mine..

Old 11-07-2016, 09:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
From my own experience on balancing 5 tires both with and without the 507 flow thru sensors, we found all 5 were out 0.5 oz after balancing them without the sensors to 0.0 oz and then installing the sensor and spinning them again and they were all 5 out 0.5 oz. Balance them with the sensors on!

OC, wish I had seen this last week. Just bought 4 new Maxxis and balanced with the sensors sitting in the truck. For me, the light never came on.
Baldicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:23 PM   #16

I ordered w/six sensors today and don't know the answer to this:.... do you put one on the spare tire? I've assumed you do, but have not seen anyone mention that, ... seems like a reasonable thing to do if you have enough sensors to do it,..... won't it let you know that the spare tire is good to go if needed?... w/six in the kit, that would leave one spare sensor, ... does anybody do that?....

Old 11-07-2016, 09:29 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I ordered w/six sensors today and don't know the answer to this:.... do you put one on the spare tire? I've assumed you do, but have not seen anyone mention that, ... seems like a reasonable thing to do if you have enough sensors to do it,..... won't it let you know that the spare tire is good to go if needed?... w/six in the kit, that would leave one spare sensor, ... does anybody do that?....
I bought a new 06 matching wheel and a GY Marathon and a spare 507 flow thru sensor for the spare so if I have a flat, I'll still have 4 matching wheels. Just anal I guess.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:40 PM   #18

Quote:
I guess you could but if I had 2 left over I would put them on my TV rear wheels. Not much chance the spare will go flat. It may loose air over time but I carry a Viair 400P-RV (https://www.amazon.com/Viair-40047-A...=viair+400p-rv) D.C. Powered air compressor to top any Tire off if needed. Another gadget for you fella...

Old 11-07-2016, 09:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I bought a new 06 matching wheel and a GY Marathon and a spare 507 flow thru sensor for the spare so if I have a flat, I'll still have 4 matching wheels. Just anal I guess.
thanks OC, ... so putting one on the spare tire is ok, now next question, ..... since the sensors are shown on the screen by location, if a flat happens and you go to the spare, ... wouldn't you remove the sensor off that flat tire and transfer it to the spare so that sensor locations on the screen would not change, even-though the tires did?

Old 11-07-2016, 09:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I guess you could but if I had 2 left over I would put them on my TV rear wheels. Not much chance the spare will go flat. It may loose air over time but I carry a Viair 400P-RV (https://www.amazon.com/Viair-40047-A...=viair+400p-rv) D.C. Powered air compressor to top any Tire off if needed. Another gadget for you fella...
my truck has it's own factory tpms, so don't need them on truck tires,..... and I also carry a Viair pump for that same reason, but if I have spare sensors it just seems like a good thing to do to put one on the spare tire, to know that the spare tire is ok,.... have heard many stories about people pulling out the spare tire and finding it either flat or very low on pressure,....