Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2017, 10:28 PM   #1
Half-Timer

RAM 3500 Vs Sierra brakes

Interesting problem with recently purchased 2015 3500 Ram SRW maxi cab. Last week all four brakes assemblies were replaced. Truck sensed the trailer and was somewhat happy. The brakes did not seem to be as good as they had been with my previous truck (2013 2500 Ram Crewcab) Left Florida on Saturday headed to Illinois. Ran through heavy rain a few times through Montgomery and Birmingham Alabama. Monday Morning as I tested the brakes after hooking up the truck said "trailer brakes not connected".

Other trucks (Mobile RV Tech) connected to the trailer connects to the trailer without any problems and brakes seem ok. This was using a non RAM trailer brake system. It was an addon brake controller

Connecting my truck to other trailers gives the message "Heavy Trailer Brake connected" and indicates the braking system is ok.

Prior to this trip I pulled this Sierra 378FB with a 2013 2500 Crew Cab Ram with no problems and much better braking of the trailer with lower gain setting.

I, a local Ram dealer, and a local RV shop are at a loss as to why my Ram does not recognize the trailer is connected. Would love to hear any possible reasons for this.

SOB
ptylerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:21 PM   #2
Site Team

I seem to remember that some Rams had a problem with the connector above the axle having some corrosion that caused the trailer brake controller error. Might be something to check if it hasn't already been.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptylerp View Post
Interesting problem with recently purchased 2015 3500 Ram SRW maxi cab. Last week all four brakes assemblies were replaced. Truck sensed the trailer and was somewhat happy. The brakes did not seem to be as good as they had been with my previous truck (2013 2500 Ram Crewcab) Left Florida on Saturday headed to Illinois. Ran through heavy rain a few times through Montgomery and Birmingham Alabama. Monday Morning as I tested the brakes after hooking up the truck said "trailer brakes not connected".

Other trucks (Mobile RV Tech) connected to the trailer connects to the trailer without any problems and brakes seem ok. This was using a non RAM trailer brake system. It was an addon brake controller

Connecting my truck to other trailers gives the message "Heavy Trailer Brake connected" and indicates the braking system is ok.

Prior to this trip I pulled this Sierra 378FB with a 2013 2500 Crew Cab Ram with no problems and much better braking of the trailer with lower gain setting.

I, a local Ram dealer, and a local RV shop are at a loss as to why my Ram does not recognize the trailer is connected. Would love to hear any possible reasons for this.
Go to Turbo Diesel register . Com and join this site. I have been a member since 2008, with my 2500 Dodge Mega Cab.

On this site there are two or three Ram technicians, dealer service Tec's, that can answer your questions and provide input as to how to overcome your issues.

One even works for Ram and designs the transmission system for the diesel trucks.

A lot of knowledge is on this site, since they have been around since the first gen trucks.

Tags
3500, 500, brakes, sierra