Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2018, 11:13 PM   #1

Re-packing wheel bearings on a new trailer?

I've read a lot about the importance of maintaining wheel bearings on a trailer. The conventional wisdom suggests it be done once a year. My question is this...our trailer is new, but it's last year's model so likely sat on the dealer lot for at least a year without much, if any, road time. We've only been on two short trips in the last month since purchasing. I've heard that wheel bearings "like to be moved" so am wondering if re-packing the wheel bearings now would be wise or just a waste of time and money. We'll be heading out on a two week, fifteen hundred mile trip down the Oregon coast in June. Appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.
6.0 Gasser 4:10

Smiletwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiletwice View Post
I've read a lot about the importance of maintaining wheel bearings on a trailer. The conventional wisdom suggests it be done once a year. My question is this...our trailer is new, but it's last year's model so likely sat on the dealer lot for at least a year without much, if any, road time. We've only been on two short trips in the last month since purchasing. I've heard that wheel bearings "like to be moved" so am wondering if re-packing the wheel bearings now would be wise or just a waste of time and money. We'll be heading out on a two week, fifteen hundred mile trip down the Oregon coast in June. Appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.
Probably doesn't need to be done BUT is so easy to do, why not do it and then you don't need to worry about it.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:50 PM   #3

a couple of reports of little to no grease on bearings from factory, so I would at least take the wheels off and check... repacking probably not necessary after so few miles...

once a year is probably good if your doing 20,000 miles a year...

boat trailers are more like once a year, but they get submerged into water on a regular basis

you did get a TPMS for the trailer didn't you?

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:33 AM   #4

I also have read posts of people who go to pack their "one year old" wheel bearings on an RV only to find that there was very little grease in the bearings from the factory. I've got way too much monies in my TT to not check the wheel bearings and seals annually. Having packed hundreds or more bearings in my short 69 years hanging around on this earth it's not a bad job to do at all. Good weather, something to sit on, cold beer(s) and good music gets me through this task easily. AND OH, these bearing housings that allow you to shoot some grease into a spring loaded device are not really friends of mine. I've seen too many of these where the grease comes out on the back side then gets thrown around onto everything back of the wheel including the brake shoes. That's not a good thing
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
a couple of reports of little to no grease on bearings from factory, so I would at least take the wheels off and check... repacking probably not necessary after so few miles...

once a year is probably good if your doing 20,000 miles a year...

boat trailers are more like once a year, but they get submerged into water on a regular basis

you did get a TPMS for the trailer didn't you?
I did! In fact, I ordered it from the company you recommended and it should arrive today. I also got a reply from Mike Benson offering follow up service if needed. I believe he is either owner or a rep for Great RV Products. Thank you for the recommendation!

Old 04-25-2018, 09:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
Probably doesn't need to be done BUT is so easy to do, why not do it and then you don't need to worry about it.
I'm pretty handy but this is not something I've ever tried. There are a lot of You Tube videos. Any one in particular you'd recommend as a good instructional? We've got the Dexter Axle with the EZ Lube fitting which I'm told you should NEVER, EVER use! Thanks.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:06 AM   #7
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

From someone (me) who had a wheel bearing burnout on the interstate 1000 miles from home in my previous brand new trailer and not only almost completely ruined a vacation...but was within a few seconds of the trailer burning down on the side of the highway!

Do it yourself or get it done by the professionals (not a dealership or nationwide tire shop chain) and you will have peace of mind while traveling!

I just had my wheel bearings repacked and the whole suspension and brakes checked and adjusted.

Cost around $300.

Also bought new tires while they had the wheels off.

Now, as for bearings liking to be used, yes...this is true.

I think that the key to this is to not just hitch up and roll at 90 mph, but to drive around the neighborhood for a few minutes at a slow speed before you hit the highway!

This will give the grease time to smooth out around the bearings.

Kinda like starting your car and letting it run for a minute before you take off...allows the oil to flow through the engine!

Ever watch people jump in their car...start it...and take off while you can still hear the starter spinning?

Not good...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:55 AM   #8

My current camper was towed only once from the dealer and sat on a pad for 8 years-it was used by a couple who were building their retirement home. It was basically brand new with the only mileage on it being from the factory plus another 230 miles.

There was VERY litttle grease in the bearings! Couple this with multiple reports of little or no grease installed at the factory, it wouldn't hurt to repack those bearings!

Good luck on your trip!
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:00 AM   #9

Quote:
I'm pretty handy but this is not something I've ever tried. There are a lot of You Tube videos. Any one in particular you'd recommend as a good instructional? We've got the Dexter Axle with the EZ Lube fitting which I'm told you should NEVER, EVER use! Thanks.
I've got these fittings.... why should I never use them?
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:13 AM   #10
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post
When not done properly you can blow the rear seal... http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ry-149817.html

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:36 AM   #11
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Read this thread I started and see what can happen:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ay-156264.html

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:53 AM   #12
Site Team

Let me add my story. We bought our rig new, but a last year model. I never figured I'd need to check the bearings for a while. However after a couple of trips I started having problems with the brakes and decided to pull the hubs while investigating it and what I found was all four brake drums soaked in grease where either the factory or dealer had pumped grease through the EZ-lube system and blown the seals. I replaced all four brake sets with pre-loaded plate. If I had pulled the hubs as soon as I got the unit I might could have had the dealer replace the brakes under warranty. At very least I wouldn't have had the problem with the brakes on the road. So I'm on the other end of the spectrum from no grease, I haad way too much.

I'd suggest you pull a hub or two and see what's going on before you make a long trip. Just for peace of mind.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Read this thread I started and see what can happen:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ay-156264.html
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was looking for a good instructional on how to disassemble and repack the bearings myself. I wasn't going to use the EZ Lube option. Thanks.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:19 PM   #14

Yes, it is important to repack the bearings on your RV, but I will add it is very important to use the "Proper" grease.. Don't mix greases..!
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:30 PM   #15

I think he was replying to this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post
And my answer to that would be because they are cheaper than the real good stuff, which is why the manufacturer's put them on our trailers in the factory!

Not to mention that EZ-Lube hubs are designed for boat trailers...NOT RV's.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:52 PM   #16
Grammar Pedant

I always lubed my axles on a 2-year program. I always packed the front bearing by hand and the rear by using the EZ Lube system. Very slow, manual grease gun, turning the wheel the entire time.

I can't be bothered with replacing seals. I could never get a straight answer on what seals I needed. The discussion always came back to something like: take one off, measure it, and get one the same size. Never mind.

Here's a good video from Dexter

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:58 PM   #17
Just as confused as you

Packing wheel bearings is easy. Using a "wheel bearing packing tool" and a grease gun filled with "wheel bearing grease" each bearing will take a mater of minutes. You can find the tool and grease at any auto parts store or online. You will spend the most time on disassembling, cleaning the old grease and reassembling. With the wheel bearing packing tool you actually don't have to clean the old grease out of the bearing, but you will have to clean up more old and fresh grease and it will look nicer.

The packing tool works basically as the EZ-Lube system except you remove the bearing from the wheel and place it in the packer. Pumping grease into the fitting the new grease goes into the center of the bearing, over the end into the bearing rollers, and out through the spaces between the rollers and out the other end of the bearing. You don't have to worry about grease forcing through a seal.

Once you have done one you will ask yourself "Why do I pay someone to do it?". In fact I would say that getting the spindle nut at the right tightness when reassembling is a more delicate procedure.

The wheel bearing packing tool my dad and us 6 boys used is like the one below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Packing Tool 1.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	169551  
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #18

Boat trailer bearings or travel trailer bearings. I don't get the difference except the boat trailer goes into the water.
Goat Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:40 PM   #19
Just as confused as you

Just saw this thread. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1792489
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Man View Post
Boat trailer bearings or travel trailer bearings. I don't get the difference...

Except the boat trailer goes into the water!
Exactly!

The boat (and the axle and hub) go in the water...

EZ-Lube hubs are made so that you can easily squeeze water out of the bearings by pumping in clean grease.

Last time I checked, most RV's don't go in the water...

Tags
bearings, trailer, wheel