Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2021, 05:07 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 6
Replace just one tire?

We purchased our Grey Wolf 22RR Toy Hauler two years ago and is our first TT. This past week we had a tire blow out and the tire totally disintegrated. There was nothing left and the old tire wrapped around the axle. We were traveling about 65 with a load of about 1800 lbs. Its rated for 2500 lbs.



I assume the stock tires, Castle Rock ST205/75R14, 8PR load range, D105/101L, are fairly cheap tires? I think maybe they are only 6 ply tires as it says 2 ply tread, 2 wire ply and 2 sidewall ply.



Obviously, I need to replace the tire that disintegrated, but should I replace all 4? I would rather spend more money and avoid problems on the road. If I replace all 4 what should I get? Again, I'm willing to spend the money to avoid problems on the road.



Thanks in advance for any help!
betakidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 02:03 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Guspech750's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: In your dreams
Posts: 151
We bought our 2021 Grey Wolf in March. Came with Castle Rock tires. Took it on many short 1.5 to 3 hour weekend trips 2-3 times a month with a few trips to Cleveland area. When August rolled around and it was time for our 16 day trip to Wyoming. I had all 4 tires replaced with much better quality Goodyear Endurance tires even though the Castle Rocks looked fine . I did keep two Castle Rocks and had one mounted on a spare rim.


I guess my point is replace them all with a better quality tire. You’ve got your use out of the Castle Rocks.
__________________
Tow vehicle: 2017 Ford Expedition XLT EL factory tow package. Added towing mirrors, 10 ply tires on separate rims, sumo springs, larger rear sway bar.

2021 Cherokee Greywolf 23MK

Equalizer 1,000lb WDH
Guspech750 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:33 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guspech750 View Post
We bought our 2021 Grey Wolf in March. Came with Castle Rock tires. Took it on many short 1.5 to 3 hour weekend trips 2-3 times a month with a few trips to Cleveland area. When August rolled around and it was time for our 16 day trip to Wyoming. I had all 4 tires replaced with much better quality Goodyear Endurance tires even though the Castle Rocks looked fine . I did keep two Castle Rocks and had one mounted on a spare rim.


I guess my point is replace them all with a better quality tire. You’ve got your use out of the Castle Rocks.
X2
__________________
2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB
2021 Toyota Tundra Crewmax
Aspendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:56 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: South Texas
Posts: 71
I had a blow out two weeks ago on 1 year old castle rocks. I never like the idea of 14" wheels, so i replaced them with 225/75/15. Order through etrailer and got them in 2 days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	225a.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	266344   Click image for larger version

Name:	225b.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	266345  
__________________
2020 Gray Wolf 26RR
2016 Tundra TRD Pro
edc1911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:19 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
njfishing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 691
You are already going to be in for $100 on one tire and be on edge until you replace the others. For me, the additional $300 would be worth the peace of mind.
__________________
Gerry Z
2018 Forest River Heritage Glen 272RL
2018 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost Max Trailer Package
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:28 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
You are already going to be in for $100 on one tire and be on edge until you replace the others. For me, the additional $300 would be worth the peace of mind.

if you can buy GOOD ST tires for that price you're VERY luck. four 235/16 Good Year Endurance tires just cost me over $200.00 each out the door.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:05 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
SeaDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 10,638
There are many different schools of thought on this subject. As a minimum (this is just opinion) replace both on the side that had the blowout. One failed and the other tire carried the entire load and may have suffered and be the next to go. JMHO I have always said tires are cheap insurance.
__________________
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab) 10/04 - 05/20
2017 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 Cummins Diesel
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:20 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 1,096
I wanted the peace of mind, so I bought 4 Goodyears and increased size one step from 205 to 215
__________________
2019 F150 4X4 7050 GVWR 1903 payload
2018 Avenger 21RBS 7700 GVWR
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:33 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
njfishing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
There are many different schools of thought on this subject. As a minimum (this is just opinion) replace both on the side that had the blowout. One failed and the other tire carried the entire load and may have suffered and be the next to go. JMHO I have always said tires are cheap insurance.
This is exactly what happen to me... I had a blow out and put on my spare. I immediately drove to the closest tire shop around 20 miles away to get the spare replaced. When I arrived, I noticed the other tire on the same side had some steel belts showing and it had to be replace it as well..
__________________
Gerry Z
2018 Forest River Heritage Glen 272RL
2018 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost Max Trailer Package
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:34 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 362
At a minimum (per Seadog) you should look at replacing two on the failed side, since one tire was overloaded for an unspecified amount of time. You will likely havet many saying replace all as CastleRocks are crap, ticking bombs, sign of Armageddon, etc.

I've not had issues with OEM tires, but I don't choose them as replacements either. There are quite a few stories on this site and others where OEM tires were involved in failures.
__________________
2016 Roo 21SS, 2016 F150
2015 Rockwood 2514G (pup), 2015 Fd Expl,
2003 Coleman Utah (pup), 2007 Fd Expl
Underthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:02 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
njfishing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
I wanted the peace of mind, so I bought 4 Goodyears and increased size one step from 205 to 215
Mine were Castle Rocks as well and I did the same but went up one load range from D to E giving me a little more wiggle room. I figured if one tire blows, the others would carry the increased load better.
__________________
Gerry Z
2018 Forest River Heritage Glen 272RL
2018 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost Max Trailer Package
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:37 AM   #12
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 28,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by betakidd View Post
We purchased our Grey Wolf 22RR Toy Hauler two years ago and is our first TT. This past week we had a tire blow out and the tire totally disintegrated. There was nothing left and the old tire wrapped around the axle. We were traveling about 65 with a load of about 1800 lbs. Its rated for 2500 lbs.



I assume the stock tires, Castle Rock ST205/75R14, 8PR load range, D105/101L, are fairly cheap tires? I think maybe they are only 6 ply tires as it says 2 ply tread, 2 wire ply and 2 sidewall ply.



Obviously, I need to replace the tire that disintegrated, but should I replace all 4? I would rather spend more money and avoid problems on the road. If I replace all 4 what should I get? Again, I'm willing to spend the money to avoid problems on the road.



Thanks in advance for any help!
I know this thread is several weeks old but want to clarify about ply ratings....which will not be the actual ply count.

The historical term ply rating goes back to the days when bias ply tires were actually constructed of layer upon layer of cotton fabric — yes, cotton. Ply rating referred to how many layers, or plies, of cotton had been used in the tire's construction, and the number of plies determined the strength of the tire.

In today's modern world, tire plies are no longer made out of cotton. Now, tires are constructed using fewer, yet much stronger, plies so the term ply rating doesn't refer to the actual number of plies anymore. Instead, the ply rating indicates an equivalent strength compared to early cotton-constructed bias ply tires.

If you see ply rating and load range on a chart, they both represent the tire's maximum load carrying capacity at maximum allowable air pressure.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Golf ball-sized hail wouldn't be as destructive if golf balls were just made smaller.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:36 AM   #13
Retired Army MSG!
 
lazyjj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Sharon, SC
Posts: 331
Removed my Castle Rocks before they had time to blow. In my humble opinion change them all.
lazyjj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:44 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 217
Quote:
I wanted the peace of mind, so I bought 4 Goodyears and increased size one step from 205 to 215

This is what most of us have done. You need to replace all the garbage China bombs with GY E's. May as well go up in size and LR too.
krazyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tire

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 PM.