Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2018, 06:32 PM   #1

Replacement tires now rubbing frame support

I hope I am posting this in the correct area.
We own a 2016 Forest River, Prime Time Crusader 295rst. (5th wheel).

The original tires on the rv were an upgrade option from 15 " to 16 " and the st 235/80r16e were on the rv when we purchased it.
After about a year with considerable mileage we incurred a blowout on the left rear tire and we decided to replace all 4 of the tires on the 2 axles.

The Tire store recommended and installed four, new Hercules H901 All steel LBG LT235/85-16. We believe we went from Western Maryland to Arizona and back before noticing the right rear tire is rubbing and cutting the tire from the support for the kitchen slide above.
We had a mechanic look at this and he suggested that if we had used 235/80-16, it would clear without rubbing the tire and that the support on the slide above cannot be moved.(Also note that the other 3 tires are not anywhere near a support).
my question is, can I replace only the 1 tire with 235/80-16 (approx 1/2"shorter than the other 3)? or could I replace only the two rear tires with 235/80-16 (approx 1/2"shorter than the other 2 on the front axle )?or should I replace all four tires with 235/80-16 ?

Thanks,
Tom Hunt

Someone else recommended others may have aready considered that we may raise the trailer to compensate for the height of the tire.

Thanks,

Tom Hunt
Tom Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:08 PM   #2

Tom Hunt...

you really should have started a NEW THREAD for this issue...

I would NOT mix tire sizes... the 85 is a slightly taller tire than the 80, and you probably have more weight on that tire/axle then the other 3 causing the frame to ride a little lower on that tire causing the tire rubbing.

Can you do anything to lighten the load on that quadrant of the trailer and gain a bit of clearance?

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hunt View Post
I hope I am posting this in the correct area.
We own a 2016 Forest River, Prime Time Crusader 295rst. (5th wheel).

The original tires on the rv were an upgrade option from 15 " to 16 " and the st 235/80r16e were on the rv when we purchased it.
After about a year with considerable mileage we incurred a blowout on the left rear tire and we decided to replace all 4 of the tires on the 2 axles.

The Tire store recommended and installed four, new Hercules H901 All steel LBG LT235/85-16. We believe we went from Western Maryland to Arizona and back before noticing the right rear tire is rubbing and cutting the tire from the support for the kitchen slide above.
We had a mechanic look at this and he suggested that if we had used 235/80-16, it would clear without rubbing the tire and that the support on the slide above cannot be moved.(Also note that the other 3 tires are not anywhere near a support).
my question is, can I replace only the 1 tire with 235/80-16 (approx 1/2"shorter than the other 3)? or could I replace only the two rear tires with 235/80-16 (approx 1/2"shorter than the other 2 on the front axle )?or should I replace all four tires with 235/80-16 ?

Thanks,
Tom Hunt
email= jonnihunt@gmail.com

Someone else recommended others may have aready considered that we may raise the trailer to compensate for the height of the tire.

Thanks,

Tom Hunt
You know, the trailer manufacturer probably had more than one reason for using 15" OE tires. Maybe you should ask them about your clearance problems. OH, no reputable tire retailer will ever mount different sized tires on the same axle.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:07 AM   #4
Site Team

The site team has moved these posts to their own thread in order to hopefully get more answers/knowledge.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote