Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2023, 02:12 PM   #1
Defender of America

Replacing Spare

I've read many threads that talk of replacing tires at or near the 5 year mark (no matter the miles); but, I haven't found any discussion about the spare. I'm only at 3 years with current tires and looking to upgrade the mounted ones to better tires.

My questions is this - I have a spare that I keep in the bed of my truck under the cover that has never seen a mile of wear or sunlight for that matter. When should I replace that one? Is it the same principle as 5 years because of dry rot? Or are there other factors to consider?
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 03:07 PM   #2

With our TT, a 2016 model, when I replaced the original tires in 2021, I replaced ALL of them. That way the spare is the same age, type, and size as the other 4. We went from a load range C to a load range D and also had them balanced at the tire shop.

I figure I have tires that will last about a long as I will.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 08:22 PM   #3

Last fall I also replaced all of my tires on my 2017 TT including the spare. While I was thinking about whether to change the spare, I pulled the cover off of it and examined the tire carefully. I found that there was a bulge in the tread of the spare on the bottom, the part of the tire I had never really looked at. That tire had been on the carrier since I bought the TT and even though I checked the tire pressure, I never really examined the spare. I am much more careful about it now.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Is it the same principle as 5 years because of dry rot? Or are there other factors to consider?
I think the 5 year rule is the principle reason.
However, if you're going to replace the tires with better ones, you should probably replace the spare so that you have 5 tires that match in case of a blowout.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
I think the 5 year rule is the principle reason.
However, if you're going to replace the tires with better ones, you should probably replace the spare so that you have 5 tires that match in case of a blowout.
What tire are you looking at . It is time for me to get some and I have been looking I may go with the Hercules H 901.
CampinGpa is offline   Reply With Quote