Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2019, 08:59 PM   #21
Ham Call N8SAC

You will enjoy the Michelin LT’s I use load range E . With 80 lbs . On the K-2500 you don’t get the sway . Towing will be a pleasure. The only thing that will be a shock is the price. I always go with the size tire that came on truck new.
Maxwell D Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:00 PM   #22
Canadian Member

My F-250 has stock Michelin LTX A/T2 tires and I don’t care for them. When they need to be replaced, I’ll go back to Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2 or 3 tires. The Bridgestones perform better in snow than the Michelins.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:15 PM   #23

Tires opinions are going to be all over the place. I have the same Falken wildpeaks mentioned above. I like them for my usage. I do quite a bit of driving off road during hunting season and wanted something a little more aggressive than the standard highway tire. They were nearly $500 less for a set of 4 than BF Goodrich AT KO2s, with a better tread life warranty. When they're aired up for towing, the truck rides a lot rougher. When I'm not towing I drop them to about 40psi and the ride isn't much different. They have a little more road buzz than the typical highway tire but I don't mind it. They have great traction as mentioned.

If I didn't want a more aggressive tread pattern, I'd go with the michelins mentioned here. Yes, they're expensive. But this is definitely a place where you get exactly what you pay for. My wife's explorer has michelins on it, and after 15,000 miles they look and handle like new. I think they've lost 1/32 of tread.

Another tire I might consider is a Hankook Geolandar. I had the P rated version on my last 150 and they were a great highway tire. Good traction in wet conditions, and solid wear. I did not like them at all on gravel.

You will pay a penalty with LTs. They weigh 20-50lbs more than a comparable P rated tire. You'll lose some gas mileage, but the improvement in handling when towing is more than worth it. If you're really worried about a mile per gallon, buy a daily driver with a 4 banger in it and park your truck.
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:29 PM   #24

I am a grandfather, and I really like the way my new Michelins look. I have been buying Michelins for my tow vehicles, and earlier for my trailers, for more than 40 years. I have never had a tire failure.

I have had more than half a dozen tire failures with other brands, mostly "China Bombs" that look like USA made brands like Goodyear. Beware!! In every case, the tire failures occurred with tires made in China that were made to look like respected brands such as Goodyear Marathon. One totally failed set of four trailer tires were branded "Mission Tires", and looked just like Goodyears.

Also, be sure to check the date stamp on each tire to make sure they are not more than about 3-4 months old.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:31 PM   #25

J.Shea

Had the same problem with my crew cab f150. Went to LT tires. Tires were tougher, ride was rougher. No difference in the sway. Found play in my hitch shaft. Hitch would move left & right 1/4 to 1/2”. Bought a bolt on brace that holds the shaft stiff. Sway went away completely. Very happy!
J.Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:24 PM   #26

Go to load index 116(2756lbs.) tires.
chapelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:33 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsgm View Post
In some states if the tires fall outside the fender wells, you have to have an appropriate mud flap that covers the spray.
I wasn't talking about mudders. Only going from a 205 to 235 if possible, tire height. I understand this will change the gear ratio and affect the speedometer by about 6%. The change in gear ratio from a 205 to 235 tire would still be in an acceptable range for fuel and power.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:54 AM   #28
Ham Call N8SAC

My K-2500 Silverado came with load range E . It is not an HD model . STD version. And it rides better that our Ford excape . And that’s with 80 lbs air. Got about 40,000 on the original tires got better than 60,000 out of the first set of Michelin’s still had plenty of tread but they were dry rotted after 9 yrears.
Maxwell D Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:22 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinduff View Post
I agree with the LT tires, but larger diameter tires will raise your gear ratio, so if you have a 3:55 ratio, you'll be closer to 3:40 with the bigger tires, making towing a little (or a lot depending on your present set up) more difficult. Been there, done that, won't again.
X2 Makes a big difference!
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:23 AM   #30

Wanted to move to LT when I replaced my OEM tires but couldn’t find a manufacturer that makes alt for my 20” wheels
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:43 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

LT tires will increase control but result in a rougher ride and reduced fuel mileage. Rationally decide if the trade-offs are worth it to you.

Load Range E is overkill on an F150. Go Load Range C is you decide to do it. It is more than enough and the negative effects are less pronounced.

Michelin tires SUCK if you live North of the Mason Dixon line. The tread patterns and compounds are not conducive to winter traction. Their "AT" tire is a highway all-season tire. I've removed perfectly serviceable Michelin tires because of inability to accelerate, turn, or stop in ice/snow conditions.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:09 PM   #32
Tom

I swapped out my OEM P rated HT tires for E rated HT tires. They are Toyo Open Country and ride so much better than A/T tires plus they are lighter. They look good, I get the same milage and they make a big difference towing with my F150. Great price and made in the USA.
Seachaser186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:28 PM   #33

I went to Sumitomo lt 10ply. Big difference. Tires will last much longer. Keep them at 65 psi.
michaelangelo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:54 PM   #34

IT amazes me that everybody is jumping on the LT band wagon when we don't know how heavy a trailer OP is pulling-and I hate to mention the fact that the tires may NOT be his problem related to sway.

If he is pulling a 5,000 pound trailer the LT tires will make a negligible difference-assuming his WD hitch is set up correctly-which it may indeed NOT BE.
cknsls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:17 PM   #35
Grammar Pedant

We know he has a 27' trailer. That's not a 5,000 lb trailer. So, instead of chastising people for speaking without knowing ... maybe at least read the OP's first post.

Others, like me, have even read some of his other posts where he mentions having a 27' Rockwood with slide-out.

His trailer will be north of 6,500 lbs. Tires may not be the source of his sway. However, towing trailers that large with a 1/2 ton with P-rated tires isn't a great idea. It might not be the worst thing in the world, but it's not optimal. The suggestions here to upgrade to LT tires are prudent. It's perfectly reasonable to make those suggestions ... much more reasonable than your odd usage of all caps.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:39 PM   #36

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Michelin LT A/s. I put these on my F150, and same tires on my F 250 and Current F 350. They are stiffer than your P tires but are quiet on the road. I run them year round in snow and ice.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:50 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
His trailer will be north of 6,500 lbs. Tires may not be the source of his sway. However, towing trailers that large with a 1/2 ton with P-rated tires isn't a great idea. It might not be the worst thing in the world, but it's not optimal. The suggestions here to upgrade to LT tires are prudent.
I'll disagree. Just my personal experience based on 25K towing miles with about the same trailer. Mine weighs in at 7k lbs. I'm driving a pure stock Platium F-150 SB. 20" P-rated tires. No sway. I didn't spend money on tires, air bags, sway bars, etc. I DID spend more on a Propride hitch. It simply doesn't sway...

For the OP and other Ford owners, if you do go with a different size tire download the free Forscan app to a windows PC and buy the ~$30 OBDII connector gizmo. You can reset the truck computer to the correct values for your newer tires, check/fix/clear diagnostic trouble codes, and make other useful changes to the trucks behavior. My driver screen now has both oil and trans temps displaying at all times, great for towing. Info at: https://www.f150forum.com/f118/forsc...-truck-348987/
Great support on the thread and is EASY to use.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:45 PM   #38

New Michelin LT are not the same tire as the old Michelin LT

Ran into the same problem last year as the original Michelin tires started weather checking and they were always too soft in the sidewalls. Went online and researched and got all sorts of wrong information and went to three ford dealers and more than a half dozen tire stores until I got a Salesman that had Michelin Tire Training. They no longer use C, D, E rating on the tires for my 2011 F-150 Lariat Super Crew EcoBoost Max Towing (2 Wheel Drive since I don't camp in the snow). So learned that the ply rating is now standard and made with different materials about 50% thicker than the material used when my tires were made. One local dealer (not a chain) sells the tires with a warranty but not a nationwide road hazard plan for $50-75 less per tire without the Road Service plan included. Basically I don't leave the area and I have road hazard on the truck insurance anyway. I also learned that some stores and distributors have the older E ply rated tires that were last made about 4 years ago. So should I order a tire that was already 4 years old (that when they quit making the E rated LT in that size) or buy the new Standard Ply LT Michlins. Bought the new tires (less than 2 months old when they were installed). Truck has much less flex when I'm towing and much smoother ride. So the 7-8 year-old tires are gone and I am happy with the new Michelins. No one made the exact size in LT except the Michelin. The tires rode better returning from the local dealer and when I hitched up had much better towing with less squirm than the former Michlins had. I'm towing a 2018 Flagstaff 29RKWS. I could not use the Reese Dual Cam hitches that we used on the various Avions (due to the light-weight frame on the front of the trailer) and had the dealer install an Equalizer Hitch. First time I've ever experience sway with any hitch. Went back to the dealer and they adjusted and adjusted but still lots of sway. I've since moved thing my self and now have less sway but you do notice it. Truck now over 30K so will probably keep since I replaced the Michelins. $300 less money from the local dealer than the chain store that had the salesman with the training from Michelin. A few dollars difference and I would have bought from the salesman with the training but $300 is $300.
gradeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:52 PM   #39

On my 2018 F-150 it came with the Michelin Primacy XC tires. Max load per tire is 2756#. That's a heck of a lot more than what the rear axle is rated for. I am not going to jump on the LT tire bandwagon. I like the ride with these tires and my trailer never has any sway because I took care in setting up my Equilizer WDH properly. My trailer weighs close to 6000# and has almost 800# of tongue weight.

I see too many reviews on tires where the people buy LT and complain about the ride.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:07 AM   #40

Tires are not the only thing to look at for upgrade.

Tow a 26' TT with an'04 F150 2WD. But made the following mods before towing. Rides rougher without the trailer and is rock solid in all conditions. The load leveling hitch broke and I towed the trailer 300 miles and could not tell the difference from the drivers seat.

- LT Nokian all weather (snow flake) tires @ 50 psi towing.
- LT spare tire
- Shocks with 4X piston size
- 600 lb overload springs so I was not tail down at night and blinding the on coming driver
- 4.10 rear differential - gave me a granny 1st gear - get 10-12 mpg @ 55 mph.
- Extended mirrors
- Receiver hitch

The four year old tires someone mentioned should be avoided like the plague. Tire life is only 6-8 years so you will not get a lot of miles on them before they should be changed due to age.

With new tires always check the manufacturing date and don't buy anything over a year old.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=11
nrkmann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires