Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2015, 09:14 AM   #1

Road Performance Assessment--Worth it?

Good morning...

I checked in with a local shop (good reputation; highly recommended by top RV body shop in town) to discuss options to help with sway from strong crosswinds and passing vehicles and general steering topics. The technician offered up their Road Performance Assessment (RPA) where a technician and I will go for a drive on the highway, make sudden lane changes, drive on curved roads, go over bumps, etc... and then I observe a 50-point inspection of the suspension, steering gear, shock absorbers, tie rods, idler arms, ball joints, etc... Finally, they will weigh the coach (2015 Georgetown 270) at all four corners to determine weight distribution.

This is a 4-hour process (charge is $160). At the conclusion, we'll discuss the things on the ride that don't feel "right" to me; they'll share areas where I could beef up or add help. I know FOR SURE we'll add sway control help because the drive back from Salt Lake City on one of our special windy days was an absolute nightmare!

The time and the money are of no real concern to me; I actually thought the price was very reasonable for the information I'll get in return.

Anyway... As I sit and think about it, I wonder if I shouldn't just do this stuff on my own as I go. For example, I already know we want to beef up the sway control. Then, maybe in a month or two, I go back in and say the steering wheel has a little more play than I like....so let's do something about that. Etc...

On the other hand, I do like going through all of these parts with a professional.......making sure everything looks as it should right now and getting feedback on what is good enough and what could be improved.

Just looking for your thoughts on this assessment... Have you ever done one? Do you think it sounds worthwhile? Is it a complete waste of time and money?

ETA: I am a first-time motorhome owner/driver, so I don't have the driving experience with these rigs that many of you have. I realize a lot of this is "peace of mind" stuff for me, but I also want to learn and feel more confident about what I'm doing and what is happening with the vehicle I'm driving.
Days Camped 2015: 40
Days Camped 2016: 03
Christian_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:21 AM   #2

What make vehicle do you have? What year is it? Also what trailer did you purchase? That doesn't sound like a bad deal, especially if your truck is older. Jerry

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-07-2015, 09:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry01 View Post
What make vehicle do you have? What year is it? Also what trailer did you purchase? That doesn't sound like a bad deal, especially if your truck is older. Jerry

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
It's a small motorhome.......Georgetown 270. I'll add that info to my post.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:31 PM   #4

I went along for the Road Performance Assessment on our Georgetown 270 this morning. I have to admit: the driving part made me very nervous!

After all was said and done, I decided on going with a Safe-T-Plus and starting with the CHF (cheap handling fix) of moving to the hard setting on the factory anti-sway bars.

We also need a front-end alignment (covered by Forest River per the 90-day deal) and will also have them rotate and balance the tires.

I'm hoping the CHF will make a significant difference with sway control. If we want more help there, then our next step will be to add an auxiliary anti-sway bar to the rear.

The techs also weighed the coach at all four corners, so I was able to determine the recommended air pressure for my tires.

Looking forward to getting the work done and hitting the road again!
Old 04-21-2015, 11:07 AM   #5

I just purchased a 2015 Coahchmen Mirada 35bh and drove about 200 miles on it. It was great handling for me. Now we are having issues with brake controller knowing if i need a harness to adapt whats pre wired to the rig. I hate ordering things then having to order more parts later.
sfei5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_D View Post
I went along for the Road Performance Assessment on our Georgetown 270 this morning. I have to admit: the driving part made me very nervous!

After all was said and done, I decided on going with a Safe-T-Plus and starting with the CHF (cheap handling fix) of moving to the hard setting on the factory anti-sway bars.

We also need a front-end alignment (covered by Forest River per the 90-day deal) and will also have them rotate and balance the tires.

I'm hoping the CHF will make a significant difference with sway control. If we want more help there, then our next step will be to add an auxiliary anti-sway bar to the rear.

The techs also weighed the coach at all four corners, so I was able to determine the recommended air pressure for my tires.

Looking forward to getting the work done and hitting the road again!
I finally took our Georgetown out on the highway since getting it back from the service shop.

What a difference!!!

The Safe-T-Plus made the steering feel so much more "snug", and there was little-to-no play when driving over bumps or potholes.

The "cheap handling fix" made a HUGE difference in dealing with crosswinds and passing trucks. Now, I wasn't out where trucks and other vehicles were going 75-80 (or more); but what I did experience was such an improvement.

I won't be *completely* sold until I have her out in an area known for strong crosswinds, but for now.....I couldn't be more relieved!

I also submitted all my documentation to Kevin at Forest River.....waiting to hear back from him on what they'll do for the reimbursement on the alignment work.