Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2016, 06:03 PM   #21

Tires

Before our trip I was getting nervous with all the stories of tire failures, I have experienced them years ago on an old toy hauler 5th wheel.
On our 2015 Wildcat Maxx I was seriously considering getting all new tires for our trip last July. Our Les Schwab guy said I couldn't put 80 PSI tires on our load range 'D' rims. New 10 ply tires and new rims would be around $1,000. We didn't want to spend that much just weeks before our trip.
In reading and reading it came down to these 3 things, how old are the tires, ours less than 3 years. Will we be overloaded? No, and do NOT exceed the 65 MPH maximum speed on the tires.
So, almost 3,000 miles and keeping the cruise control set at 62 and checking the pressures and not being overloaded we luckily had no problems.
Still concerned though and will probably still spring for new wheels and tires before next year's trip. Our TT axles are rated for over 4,000 pounds so how we travel I highly doubt we'll ever overload the axles or overload the tires. Even if we had 'E' rated tires I won't be going faster than 62. It shouldn't be a race to see who gets to the accident first, I get passed by big class A's to triple axel toy haulers doing about 80 so I feel they should be able to afford the blow out or accident! Cruising at 62 I still pass lots of RVs and big rigs too!
Tdbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I have had an LT tire go flat because of a road hazard. Bolt punctured the tire. But I have NEVER had one blow out on the RV.
Not to put a curse on myself as I've only been towing for 42 years. Never had an RV flat or blow out. Rarely over 65 and keep a close eye on tires. Tires are the weak link in all of our travels.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:52 PM   #23

We got rid of China tires as soon as we bought our 31 RK Silverback due to previous issues. We have Goodyear LTs at G range (100 PSI) and haven't looked back.
DrippingDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:53 PM   #24

I had problems with my Rockwood original equipment tires, Trail Express?????. I switch to Goodyear Marathons, from LR C to LR D, have TPMS. No problems 3 years. Stay with a name brand, watch your tires pressure with a TPMS, don't overload don't exceed 65 MPH.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:08 PM   #25

In 2014 we bought a gently used TT & immediately replaced the stock Trail Express with Maxxis E & a TPMS before our first out-of-state trip... Three summers later the Maxxis tires look new & have demonstrated good performance in emergency braking & corning situations. Our TT is 8,000 loaded & I stay around 65 mph.

For a number of years I drove a variety of trailers for construction-related work & when we hit unavoidable road debris in tended to take-out both tires on one side vs. only one... Therefore for our trip out West I plan to take (2) spares...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
We've all heard of many, many tire failures... but has anyone actually had a wheel failure from too much tire pressure or over loading? And if so, what happens? Does the rim just come apart or do the lug nuts waller out? Or??
I've seen a few posts about aluminum wheels with cracks, but don't recall any definitive proof WRT the cause.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:23 PM   #27

We have not had a blown tire our first long trip we noticed the tires had worn so we had then rotated on the rim so we would make it home safe .the axles they are just not strong enough to Carrie any load ! ( lite) I believe when they put that on your tr is what you get ! Am I wrong ?
leta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:44 PM   #28

I had 3 2 shred and 1 leak on the way back from AZ this spring replaced with 10 ply e, rated tires. I went to a frog Goshen and a vender recommended LT tires.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybessette View Post
Something I discovered the hard way is that you have to use the correct valve stems. My first camper had repeated tire failures and I figured out that the valve stems were blowing out. Went to the Truck style stems and no more problems. So if your camper has rubber stems like your car you are asking for trouble.
I believe that what you are calling "Truck style stems" are what are generally referred to as "high pressure" stems. They have a metallic stem with a rubber type grommet base. Much preferable to the all rubber type used in most passenger/LT/trailer applications.
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGR View Post
I have a Wildcat 5th wheel, GVWR 11,950 pounds) and I ordered it with the tires upgraded to the Maxxis M8008 tires. I have 15k miles on the tires and I'm pleased with them. I think the Maxxis tires would be a good choice for your rig.

I think the rim's maximum PSI rating is stamped on the inboard side of the rim.
Not always. My wheels were marked with a maximum load rating only and no reference to inflation pressure.
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:54 PM   #31

I was looking at a trailer last week that had 75 mph speed rating on the tires, and have been told there are a few out there that are rated for 80 mph. Personally, I installed truck AT tires (larger than came on the trailer) with a 112 mph rating. Can't find a 112 mph zone, but I sure have pulled at 80 on the interstates around here. And I'm passed all the time by trucks pulling fifth wheels all the time.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:11 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkwalter View Post
Just had a tire separate on my last trip. The tire is a ST225/75R 15 H178 (6 Ply) A Ridgway Sport ST. The tire dealer says a 6 ply tire is not safe on an 8000 lb camper? We have a Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8327ss. Forest River says it is fine and they sent me all kind of specifications to prove their point. I purchased 4 new tires with 10 Ply rating for safety! Now Forest River says the rims may not be suitable for an E rated tire? I don't think a tire dealer would install the 10 Ply tire on a rim not suitable?? I trust him more than a Forest River representative. I also know from these forums that MANY campers have had tire issues with Forest River!! Knowing how things are done today, I would assume Forest River will buy the cheapest tire they can get, that meets minimum specifications!! It is all about the money today! So sad. Any ideas from you RV's who actually pull campers?? Thanks, Furman
I was concerned that this would happen to our 8329SS. The left front tire always looked flat even with 60 PSI. max is 50 PSI. Never driven with that pressure. It was an experiment to prove to myself that one tire was overloaded. I knew it was, but I tried to convince myself it would be ok. I could not do it. I now have Maxxis M8008 load D (8 ply). These are 65 PSI tires which our rims are rated for after contacting Lions Head. I would think your load E tires would be a rough ride for your light(ish) trailer because of the really stiff sidewalls. I noticed more things getting tossed around inside with the D rated tires.
Never seen a rim on trailer be destroyed by pressure but there must be a reason why they give them PSI max ratings. Would feel safer on steel wheels over aluminum if i had to go over max PSI.
Keep in mind while you have a 8000 lb trailer your truck carries +\- 1000 lbs of that. So FR is right, they suitable legally. But in reality, not suitable for practical use.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:12 PM   #33

After tire trouble with LR D tires, max psi. was 65, I upgraded to LR E, max psi. is 80 FR gave me the wheel manufacturers contact info. they did not hesitate at the extra pressure. I installed with heavy duty valve stems and haven't looked back! The load rating isn't much more, but just enough of an increase it makes me feel better.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:47 PM   #34

Tire replacement

I just replaced all four tires while on my last trip. I was told to toss the spare also. (...Replace it) I bought my FR Wildwood 2dbud...It'll be a year in 9 days...And was told by the tire dealer that they didn't even make those types of tires anymore. He had no reason to fib... ...Just shy of 10,000 miles for the year.
SARDogDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:30 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I have had an LT tire go flat because of a road hazard. Bolt punctured the tire. But I have NEVER had one blow out on the RV.
Yep. Couple of years ago. LT265/75-16 china bomb. Three years old with about 25,000 miles. Unloaded '94 Ram 1500.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:32 PM   #36
Riverss

tire running pressures

i see a lot of post on cold psi ratings but none on running psi ratings.where you are makes a big difference in your tire pressures. i have seen as much a 18 psi increase from cold to running psi. i weighed my rig and if i add more weight i weigh it again tire pressures are governed by weight supported by that tire/axle. the higher the weight the higher the psi to a LIMIT. if the ambient temp is 100 deg the high psi limit will be reached and possibly exceed the max rating for the wheel and or tire.IMHO tpms are a must if you are going to travel in high ambient temp conditions . when i took delivery of my 2016 Rockwood 8299BS with load range "D" tires i knew that it was marginal at best. sure enough a blow out at less than 5000 miles. the ambient temp was about 84 degrees and we had been on the road for less than 1 hour in the early morning.there was no warning on my tpms and all temps and pressures were good. Murpheys law. i immediately bought Load range "E". Running pressures are as import as cold inflation pressures and adjust the pressures according to the WEIGHT regardless of the Maximum rated psi of the tire.
Basenji back seat copilot named Lilly
riverss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:24 AM   #37

Tire, tire pants on fire

After 3 blow-outs with china bombs, I went to Carlisle RH load rating E. I change them every 2 - 3 years, no matter the miles or appearance. Just bought 4 of the new Carlisle HDs and went on a 3700 mile jaunt. I will replace them when they reach 21/2 years of age.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:32 PM   #38
Commercial Member

OK. I was asked to jump in on this thread. As a tire engineer and RV owner and ex pro race car owner/driver I think I can offer some comments based on engineering facts.

Speed. Yes before 2016 I do not know of any ST type tires that were rated for more than 65 mph. This is not average or even occasional but ever. The test only requires a tire be able to run at that speed for 30 minutes. Then the tire is considered scrap. I suggest you think of tire speed rating as you do engine RPM and tack redline. It is possible to exceed the redline occasionally and a little bit without an engine "blowing up" but Does anyone think that if you have a 5,000 rpm limit that every engine of that design can run for tens of thousands of miles at 4,990 rpm?
It is also true that to avoid some import tariffs many ST tires now come with speed ratings of 75 or higher. Based on some of the ratings I have heard about I really doubt that solid engineering design changes have been done in the few months between the new regulations and tires showing up with ratings above 75. IMO some companies are banking on the fact that they have no real warranty or even a dealer network that customers will simply give up and not make any claims that the tire importer will ever have to pay.

Wheels It would be real nice if wheel suppliers had documentation on max load and inflation on their products but only a few do. In my racing career I did manage to fail a few light weight racing wheels but the failures were near the bolt holes and analysis indicates that side load exceeded the wheel limits. High inflation on the other hand can result in failure of the flange area (area right where the tire presses against the wheel. It may be possible to estimate the max inflation rating for a wheel by looking at the tire size, its max load and max inflation and compare with the max load rating of the wheel. I can only suggest that you try and find wheels that have load and inflation limits marked on the wheel or in published literature from the wheel company.

Sorry have to run. Will be back later tonight with tire and valve info.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:54 PM   #39

if the tire Mfg. develop a 100MPH trailer tire, does that mean it's safe to drive that fast towing 15-19 k pounds? Do we have 100 MPH brakes on TT yet?
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:56 PM   #40
Riverss

TIREMAN9 Just asking ...with my E ratedST225/75R15 tires CIP @ 70 psi i am over inflated for the weight they carry.(2200#each) i am seeing running psi at 79 to 81 psi. is this ok IYO? should i inflate to the max CIP of 80 and then i would see pressures in the high 80's or low 90's if my TPMS is calibrated properly. what is the safe MAXIMUM running pressure/
Basenji back seat copilot named Lilly
riverss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires