Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2018, 11:37 AM   #1

screw trailer tires?

I was hoping someone could elaborate on a topic that I read about in another thread.

My viking 17bh has Chinese tires in a size of 205 75 r14.

From what I have read, the only good tire in this size (ST type) tires is the goodyear enduro

As an alternative choice, I believe someone mentioned that if you buy truck tires in a 195 75 r 14 they would actually be physically the same size as an ST 205 75 r14.

Is this a good Idea?

I found these at sears ( I have a gift card)

Sears.com

would they fit on my wheels??
viking2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:39 AM   #2

You have to derate them 10% for trailer use and they are not the same size as a 205/75/14

I use Maxxixs tires myself. The Goodyear Endurance tires have not been out long so keep that in mind.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking2018 View Post
I was hoping someone could elaborate on a topic that I read about in another thread.

From what I have read, the only good tire in this size (ST type) tires is the goodyear enduro

As an alternative choice, I believe someone mentioned that if you buy truck tires in a 195 75 r 14 they would actually be physically the same size as an ST 205 75 r14.

Is this a good Idea?

Sears.com

Can you point out what thread you may be referring to? There is a lot of incorrect information in your quote above.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:46 AM   #4

Unfortunately I do not have link to the original thread. I was just searching "tires" and it was on one of the many pages in one of the many threads. Doubt I could find it again.

Ok, so what is incorrect? 195 truck tires not actually the same size as 205 st?

What I am trying to boil it down to is this:

I would like to buy US made tires that will fit my trailer with a load range of D or higher. My ST options seem limited. What would my truck tire options be?
Old 05-08-2018, 12:00 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Unfortunately I do not have link to the original thread. I was just searching "tires" and it was on one of the many pages in one of the many threads. Doubt I could find it again.

I would like to buy US made tires that will fit my trailer with a load range of D or higher. My ST options seem limited. What would my truck tire options be?
No, a 195/75R14 is not the same as a 205/75R14 in either width or diameter.

You may be confusing comparing a Euro metric sized 195R14 up against a 205/75R14. The Euro metric has an 82 aspect ratio which does make it close to a 205/75R14 in diameter.

Your options used to be very limited in getting anything higher ply rated than a 6 ply in a 14 ich diameter tire...without going to a Euro metric sized tire.

But that it changing also. Carlisle now builds a 8 ply rated (Load Range D) tire in a ST205/75R14, which is capable of over 2000 pounds.

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...adial-trail-hd

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:10 PM   #6

If you have the fender clearance, why not just go to a 15"? Wheels are cheap (unless you want aluminum), and you open up a LOT of options with much heavier duty tires.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:12 PM   #7

Quote:

Is this a good Idea?

Sears.com

Just my 2 cents just because trailer tires are made in China or anywhere else does not automatically make them bad tires. There is so much wrong information out there.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
You have to derate them 10% for trailer use and they are not the same size as a 205/75/14

I use Maxxixs tires myself. The Goodyear Endurance tires have not been out long so keep that in mind.
They've been out for over a year now with a number of people here on the forums running them without issue, including myself. How long does a product need to be out in order to prove itself?

@viking2018, I went with the Goodyear Endurance and have been very happy with them, but Maxxis are also good based on what I've heard. Stick with the OEM size, moving to a load range D will give you a nice cushion and you won't have to worry about running the tire at its limits and potential failures.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:30 PM   #9

IMO...use the gift card for something else and buy your tires somewhere else. I googled the Sears website and don't see tires I would buy for MY RV. Does this mean they are trash? No, but I would then be wondering about the tires again.
Mine has 15" and LT tires just don't make it. It is change to 16" or use one of the 15" already manufactured and stop re-inventing the wheel.
YMMV
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
They've been out for over a year now with a number of people here on the forums running them without issue, including myself. How long does a product need to be out in order to prove itself?

@viking2018, I went with the Goodyear Endurance and have been very happy with them, but Maxxis are also good based on what I've heard. Stick with the OEM size, moving to a load range D will give you a nice cushion and you won't have to worry about running the tire at its limits and potential failures.
A lot longer than 17 months.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:21 PM   #11

But I am glad there are beta testers out there! [emoji3]
Old 05-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire;1803948 Carlisle now builds a 8 ply rated (Load Range D) tire in a ST205/75R14, which is capable of over 2000 pounds.
[URL="https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/our-products/product-detail/radial-trail-hd"
d[/URL]
Upgraded to these this spring and I am very happy, I have used Carlisle tires on my previous TT and had good results. If you don't overload the tires, don't abuse them, maintain the correct pressure and replace them in 3-5 yrs you should be fine.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
A lot longer than 17 months.
It's interesting that you would have an issue with a new tire but not a new truck...

Just busting your chops.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:33 PM   #14

Quote:

I just put a set of Goodyear Endurance 205/75-14 on my 233s and it tows much better than with the China tires.
I think the Endurance checks off all your boxes on your new tire questions.
My17Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:34 PM   #15

So, what would be wrong with putting a truck tire on? —- just can’t get them in the right size?
Old 05-08-2018, 06:39 PM   #16

Quote:
So, what would be wrong with putting a truck tire on? —- just can’t get them in the right size?
Not being a trailer tire is wrong enough for me. Sidewall stiffness maybe? Put the Endurance in the correct size 205/75-14 on. USA made. You will be happy with these.
My17Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:47 PM   #17

Quote:
In a size 14", by the time you derate them 10%, they usually don't have enough capacity.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:48 PM   #18

Quote:
In the case of Good Year I will never use them if they are in service for 100 years. There have been too many people killed or crippled that used their motor home tires. Those tires, that I'm sure you've heard about, were never designed for that amount of weight. Good Year denied there was a problem that they were aware of (a total lie). Therefore, I wouldn't trust them to build a tire for a golf cart.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
In the case of Good Year I will never use them if they are in service for 100 years. There have been too many people killed or crippled that used their motor home tires. Those tires, that I'm sure you've heard about, were never designed for that amount of weight. Good Year denied there was a problem that they were aware of (a total lie). Therefore, I wouldn't trust them to build a tire for a golf cart.
I have heard and that's your choice. I'm not going to replace perfectly good tires that have a solid track record just because some other tire line has had known problems. Thanks, though.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:22 PM   #20

Quote:
It's interesting that you would have an issue with a new tire but not a new truck...

Just busting your chops.
I wouldn't have bought it if it was a brand new design this year or first year for the engine.

Tags
tire, tires, trailer