Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2020, 06:39 PM   #1

Seals blown, Brakes trashed

Had a problem with brakes being grease contaminated on my 2017 FR Vibe 251RKS. Apparently all four brakes were grease contaminated (according to my dealer). The dealer quoted over $1300 to replace all of the brake assemblies!!! I purchased all four Lippert replacement assemblies for just under $150 using Amazon. So far so good.

I contacted Lippert Components and asked why these seals were all failed in such a short time. They requested copies of my receipts, photos of the labels on my axles, and basic information on the purchase of our trailer. Believe it or not, Lippert has reimbursed me for the cost of all of the replacement parts. No, they will not cover my time to do the replacement. But I will not be returning to the dealer for ANYTHING!

Thought I'd share my positive comment about Lippert Industries. I know it's a small thing they've done but still impressed by their assistance.
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:12 PM   #2

That’s a good deal for 4-complete brake assembly’s. The dealer for sure makes the money. A good name brand seal would be good to use.
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:14 PM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I have a2020 Phoenix that I bought last Dec. I was getting reading to make a trip to Savannah in November. I had an issue with the font landing gear so I took it in for a fix and while it was at the dealer I told them to repack the wheel bearings. Well good thing I did as all for rear seals where almost blown out and had I gone on my trip I would have had major problems. Well the dealer turn in a warranty clam for the issue as they also where Lippert axles. Took pick of info on both axles and they sent in and yep they paid the bill for repacking. Good folks to work with. I got a great dealer also.

Glade you shared you experience. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
Had a problem with brakes being grease contaminated on my 2017 FR Vibe 251RKS. Apparently all four brakes were grease contaminated (according to my dealer). The dealer quoted over $1300 to replace all of the brake assemblies!!! I purchased all four Lippert replacement assemblies for just under $150 using Amazon. So far so good.

I contacted Lippert Components and asked why these seals were all failed in such a short time. They requested copies of my receipts, photos of the labels on my axles, and basic information on the purchase of our trailer. Believe it or not, Lippert has reimbursed me for the cost of all of the replacement parts. No, they will not cover my time to do the replacement. But I will not be returning to the dealer for ANYTHING!

Thought I'd share my positive comment about Lippert Industries. I know it's a small thing they've done but still impressed by their assistance.

I have a Forest river Vibe 32BH with 4,400 lbs dexter axles. It seems these are hard to find for some reason at a decent price.!!
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:19 PM   #5

If you have that much money for parts, I'd be seriously considering upgrading the brakes to electric/hydraulic disk brakes. MUCH better stopping ability. If your seal fails again, it only contaminates one side of the disk and pad.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:26 PM   #6

I'm not sure if anyone checked for recalls. Any issues i have whether in or out of warranty especially major issues like brakes, axles, seals, frames, etc. I always check to make sure. I have a friend with a large Keystone TT and had major issues with broken leaf spring hanger, felt frame was bent, HW heater died, etc. Only recently, two years after he bought it new was he able to get it fixed. Last week I found a recall on his and other models and years exactly what he's been complaining about directly with Keystone. All I'm saying is its worth looking IMHO, especially on the NHSTA site.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:35 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

So when you removed the wheel/hubs were the brakes grease contaminated? Were the seals in place? Just wanting to make sure the dealer isn't feeding you a line as we have seen lately in other posts. Especially with that price!

I see a lot of folks saying they are told their seals were blown out. If the seals were blown out, they would not still be in the hub on removal... or... the actual seal lip could be split. Just because grease has pushed past the seal lips because someone didn't do the lubing procedure correctly doesn't necessarily mean the 'seals are blown.'

Having replaced many seals in trailer axles, (including my own a few months ago) those seals are tough to get out. They just don't 'blow'out.'

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:39 PM   #8

Quote:

Does that trailer have surge brakes?
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 02:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
........................) those seals are tough to get out. They just don't 'blow'out.'
No, but the phrase is used when someone just Blows the grease past the seals by lubing them excessively.

Grease Is NOT consumed in use, unlike fuel. It may degrade in its lubricity but it is not used up.

Keep pushing enough grease into a confined space, and it will "Blow Through" the seal.

Which is why I will NEVER use the EZ Lube on any axle.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:22 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
No, but the phrase is used when someone jut Blows the grease past the seals by lubing them excessively.

Grease Is NOT consumed in use, unlike fuel. It may degrade in its lubricity but it is not used up.

Keep pushing enough grease into a confined space, and it will "Blow Through" the seal.

Which is why I will NEVER use the EZ Lube on any axle.
Except... it isn't confined.
As you pump grease in the zerk, it comes out through the front bearing. (after going through the spindle, the rear bearing, the hub and the front bearing, of course!)

Bearing Buddies work on the pump grease into a confined area and past the rear seals principle but not E-Z Lube.

Old 12-07-2020, 02:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Except... it isn't confined.
As you pump grease in the zerk, it comes out through the front bearing. (after going through the spindle, the rear bearing, the hub and the front bearing, of course!)

Bearing Buddies work on the pump grease into a confined area and past the rear seals principle but not E-Z Lube.
There are only so many CCs of space between that inner seal and the outer bearing cap. When you exceed that volume with grease it HAS TO GO SOMEWHERE!

Like water, it will take the "Path of lease resistance". Since the rest of the confinement area is solid metal it WILL blow past the seal.

Bearing buddies have a spring loaded outer dust cap which shows when the volume is getting full. EZ Lube caps have no such indication.

All too easy to over-grease and destroy your entire brake system!

Lets compare apples to apples not apples to oranges....... for the sake of laziness or saving money.............because if the goal is saving money it is destroyed when you overlube the axle!
Old 12-07-2020, 02:36 PM   #12

Quote:

lippert is awesome to deal with.
I have extensive warranty coverage on our 2018 KZ Toy hauler that will have to be dragged to a dealership in the spring from the lake because I had 2 seals fail - sitting in the heat this summer!

the trailer was taken out of inside storage and then directly to the lake. hardly say more than 25 miles hauling.
when parked it was on tire saver platforms and tires were covered immediately. got a fluid coming from the rear tire on one side and the front tire on the other side.

sun path for days over over 95 degrees air temp into including the trapped air in behind the black covers.
I am wondering if perhaps the seals were defective. we have annual inspections here in NB and there was no issue in 2019 when inspected if we haul.

I am wondering if the seals were defective based on the axle information you supplied?
Old 12-07-2020, 02:44 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
There are only so many CCs of space between that inner seal and the outer bearing cap. When you exceed that volume with grease it HAS TO GO SOMEWHERE!

Like water, it will take the "Path of lease resistance". Since the rest of the confinement area is solid metal it WILL blow past the seal.

Bearing buddies have a spring loaded outer dust cap which shows when the volume is getting full. EZ Lube caps have ono such indication.

All too easy to over-grease and destroy your entire brake system!
I'll make one last post for the sake of information because I'm NOT trying to change your mind. Your decision seems to be made. I'm simply pointing out that you are saying some things that are not truthful.

To access and grease the E-Z lube system you must remove a rubber plug from the front of the dust cap. When you do so, the assembly is NO LONGER a sealed unit. (and even saying the rubber plug makes it totally sealed is stretching it a bit)

Once you stick the grease gun coupler on the zerk fitting and begin pumping, (while slowly rotating the wheel/drum) the grease begins to come out around the grease gun coupler and out of the front of the dust cap where the rubber plug was removed. When finished, you then reinstall the rubber plug.

Old 12-07-2020, 03:11 PM   #14

Question for OP. How often did you have the bearings greased? For that much grease to push past the seals(blow seals is harsh), they had to have been grossly over greased.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 03:17 PM   #15

My brake shoes were contaminated with grease when the trailer was brand new. Took 6 weeks for the dealer to figure out the problem.
I never went back to the dealer.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:57 PM   #16

https://www.wholesaletrailersupplies...ath=27_116_330
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:54 PM   #17

Quote:
I'll make one last post for the sake of information because I'm NOT trying to change your mind. Your decision seems to be made. I'm simply pointing out that you are saying some things that are not truthful.

To access and grease the E-Z lube system you must remove a rubber plug from the front of the dust cap. When you do so, the assembly is NO LONGER a sealed unit. (and even saying the rubber plug makes it totally sealed is stretching it a bit)

Once you stick the grease gun coupler on the zerk fitting and begin pumping, (while slowly rotating the wheel/drum) the grease begins to come out around the grease gun coupler and out of the front of the dust cap where the rubber plug was removed. When finished, you then reinstall the rubber plug.
That may very well be true. But for clarification and truthfulness let me ask you two questions.

1. Have you ever seen a set of wheel bearings, packed by hand, that had the grease pushed past the rear seal subsequently destroyed the brakes? I have not.

2. Now, have you seen brakes destroyed by grease pushed past the rear seal using an EZ Lube system? I have too.

I will hand pack mine, thank you.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:42 PM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
That may very well be true. But for clarification and truthfulness let me ask you two questions.

1. Have you ever seen a set of wheel bearings, packed by hand, that had the grease pushed past the rear seal subsequently destroyed the brakes? I have not.

2. Now, have you seen brakes destroyed by grease pushed past the rear seal using an EZ Lube system? I have too.

I will hand pack mine, thank you.
1. Yes, over the years l have seen/repaired/replaced my share of brakes ruined by grease.

2. Yes, but only on R/V forums, never in person.
I pulled my own E-Z Lube hubs a few months ago to inspect the bearings and races. (had only previously put grease in through the zerk) It is a 2016 model and felt it was time. There was no grease on the brakes, backing plate or inner hub/drum. The bearings were well lubed and perfectly fine.

I'll continue to use the E-Z Lube system and pull the hubs again in a few years to check things out. (if I keep it that long)

You are certainly welcome to do your maintenance however you like... but just because YOU don't like E-Z Lube hubs, it doesn't make them bad for everyone.

Thank you!

Old 12-07-2020, 08:17 PM   #19

On on my 3rd forest river 5th wheel. I've burned wheel bearings in the first two. I was assuming that factory was good for at least 12K or 1 year - wrong assumption. My current unit I repacked them in the first 30 days and found 1 to have absolutely no grease and I had to replace the outer bearing with just 700 miles. New warranty wouldn't cover because I did it myself. Dexter must have made my axles on a Friday afternoon.
eaglecrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:45 PM   #20

I agree the factory ships with very little grease, no possible way the seal issue is from the factory.
If you have a new trailer with brakes contaminated then your dealer greased the bearings without following the instructions.

Tags
brakes, seal