Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2011, 11:28 PM   #1

self adjusting brakes

replaced brakes today with self adjusting type. wasn't much to it. after removing the hubs, unscrewed 5 blots, cut the wires to the electric brake, then pulled plate off. installed the new plate and reconnected elec. brakes.
completely cleaned out bearings and hub and replaced with a grease meeting spec NLGI Grade 2 with a drop temp of 530 deg.
assembly was $58 ea; $3 more than those without self adj.
3 of the seals had leaked: one that wasn't leaking this past aug. (had pulled that wheel to make some temp repairs...back plate (that holds brake shoes, magnet, etc had come loose. the other 2 looked like they leaked due to wrong type grease pumped in...the grease in the large bearing looked like it had broken down. it wasn't very viscous.
the two that had leaked worse were on the same side. i probably pumped an ordinary gp (not wheel bearing) grease in there not knowing any better. when that ran out, i put a wheel bearing grease in and pumped the other two.
even after cleaning the bearings well, i pushed the correct grease thru the individual bearings by hand. i was surprised at how much old grease remained. i continued to work the grease thru until i got no more streaks in it.
bearings were good, did not replace. seals were replaced (as recommended anytime the drum is pulled).
will take the trailer out sometimes in the next 3 months to see how well the new ones work.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #2

congrats on the repair - you saved yourself a bunch of money in the process

What axles did you do the replacement on? Al-Ko 3,500lbs or ?

The inner seal doesnt have to be replaced each time you pull the drum unless it is leaking, torn or you are pulling the bearings out - this is just my opinion of course - everyone will have a diffrence of opinion but if you change out the seal at the least you have peace of mind to know i wont leak grease on the brakes.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:30 AM   #3

they are 6k al ko. i replaced the brakes, magnets, etc with dexter. my only concerns is that the magnets are ovel. the trailer sells place said they were the same only a later model. i replaced all 4 because i didn't want mixed parts on the same trailer.
my seals hadn't been replaced sense i bought it in 2002.
i took the old parts to get a match (learned that from buying parts for my truck from auto parts houses. the other half of that is the trailer sells place is abt 50 mi. away). on the seals, they had several that were very close. he measured to get the right one. the new seal housing is taller than the orig but taps down flush with the drum.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #4

jimh:

Congrats on the new brakes. I swapped out mine last October after getting sick and tired of manually adjusting brakes every Spring .

Hare's a couple of pics for those who are wondering what were talknig about.

Old manual adjust brake assembly

NEW self adjusting brake assembly

Notice the cable going down to the star adjuster wheel.
Every time you brake the cable pulls on an arm against the star wheel. This will trip the star wheel to the next notch when needed thus SELF ADJUSTING

C.B.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #5

thanks for posting pictures -
I am familiar with the star wheel on Vehicle drum brakes - always put never seize on the threads to keep it from getting stuck and was able to adjust from a hole in the bottom of the back plate.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #6

the magnets are different on what i installed. believe they are the same length but the width is greater...more like a slight diamond. difference in the brand. hoping they work the same. so far, in the driveway they do. couldn't get the old ones to lock up and can't get these to either. they also started out not very strong and progressively got better...just like the old ones. my last trailer did the same.
the trailer place said when i installed them the arm would be on the side toward the front. never thought abt it. i was just going to look for the r or l on the plate.
see u also have the 6k axles...5 bolts.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:49 PM   #7

the brakes will get better as the glaze wears off the pads

I recently installed 4 rotors and pads in my Dodge (Tow Vehicle) and was hard to stop the first couple of times due to the stuff they put on the rotors so am assuming the same is with your new brakes as well.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #8

Wondering were is the best place to purchase these self adjusting brakes?
Portagie1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #9

i went to a local trailer supply place. i took the old plate assembly with me to make sure i got a direct match. also wanted to get a spare set of bearings and seal. there were several seals that were close. glad i didn't try and pick one out from memory.
the place i went to doesn't sell trailers; just parts for simi to utility trailers. picked up a couple spare tires w/rims at the same time. that u want to match directly. the 16" 6 lug all seemed to match. there variations on other sizes.

by the way the trailer stops better than i can remember. i still can't lock them up except on a loose surface. believe that is good but don't know how normal. one of the previous posters said they had to wear the glaze off. looks like that was true. that and the adjustment finally getting right.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #10

Thank you.
Portagie1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portagie1968 View Post
Wondering were is the best place to purchase these self adjusting brakes?
Midwest Wheel Companies - Home
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes